General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

1998 hawk backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Squid

illrohan is on a distinguished road
Question 1998 hawk backfiring

I just changed my oil and filter. Cleaned my stock air filter by blowing out debris with my compressor. And Swapped plugs. The plugs are an exact replacement. The engine is backfiring when I give it gas. I don't know why. Any thoughts?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum. I don't see how the oil change or spark plugs would make a difference, so my money is on the gas tank or airbox. How did the old plugs look? Were you running rich or lean?

If this happened to me, I'd take the tank off and make sure I hooked all the hoses up correctly and none of them are kinked or pinched, and I'd also check to make sure the air filter is sitting correctly in the airbox.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:27 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
PVLIR seems likely if it was your first time to remove the tank.

(petcock vacuum line doesn't go where it looks like it goes.. it actually goes on the back of the petcock pointing to the right, and not the bottom)
Old 07-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by lazn
PVLIR seems likely if it was your first time to remove the tank.

(petcock vacuum line doesn't go where it looks like it goes.. it actually goes on the back of the petcock pointing to the right, and not the bottom)
That would be my guess also.....
Old 07-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Squid

Thumbs up

All hoses are hooked up correctly. As I understand it, backfiring usually occurs from lean conditions. Is that right? Can the jet needle be moved to a different position? I removed the slide but it didn't look like the needle was adjustable.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by illrohan
All hoses are hooked up correctly. As I understand it, backfiring usually occurs from lean conditions. Is that right? Can the jet needle be moved to a different position? I removed the slide but it didn't look like the needle was adjustable.
Well if you removed the slide, you did a lot more that what you told us and that leaves a lot of other things you could have done wrong. The first thing to check is to see if you reinstalled the diaphragm(s) correctly. You need to lift the slide and see if it just slams closed or does it drop slowly. If it just slams shut and you don't here it pulling air in, the diaphragm is not seated correctly. Then you need to check all the hoses on the bottom of the air box.

To answer you question though, the stock needles are not adjustable unless to shim them. The fact that the bike didn't backfire before you pulled it apart points to something you did.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Squid

'98 sperhawk backfiring

The old plugs look just a bit oil fouled. If it had been running lean, I should be seeing carbon deposits. Right? I'll lift the tank and check all hoses for kinks.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Squid

The diaphragm is seated and sealed well. I lifted the tank to check all hoses for kinks. None that I can tell but it's not backfiring under acceleration now so maybe there was. But it still does it a little when I let off the gas. Is this normal being a V-Twin?

By the way, I'm new to the forum and have noticed a lot of military men are members. Thank you for your service. God bless you all.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Banned
MotoGP

If the pair system is still hooked up it will do that on deceleration.