Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Ducati Info

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 06:54 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Ducati Info

Has anyone owned or had a long term experience with a Ducati Multistrada 1100, specifically a 2007-2009 model year?
I have done the usual web research. Some conflicting info. The gas tank issue (is it?) is a bit worrisome, as are some of the electrical problems(?). I know it's Italian, so I'm taking that in to account.
A friend has previously owned a MTS 1000 and says it was one of the best bikes he has had over the years.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:31 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Just curious by gas tank issues you mean because its plastic?
Old 11-12-2018, 04:15 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
not a multi but I have owned a 2008 1098 since late 2009. the gas tank issue hasn't been a big deal to me, though I haven't had the tank on and off much, therefore not sure if the fitment would be a problem(bolt holes lining up for example). It has over 30,000kms(34,000kms?). the bike has been quite reliable. I replaced the clutch slave as the oem slave is garbage and was letting air in. I just replaced the clutch plates and the slipping went away. occasionally my starter clutch spins out but it hasn't stranded me, not sure if this is an issue on the multi.
I have not ridden the 1098 in two or three years. I pull it out and start it, take it around the block every so often. I just did that yesterday before winter sets in. my son said "that bike is so nice it should not be covered", and he is right. I am trying to say that the bike stirs the soul, it is all motorcycle and lets you know it in an unapologetic way, raucous, you can't miss me, I am in the room. I am biased and that says it too.
I have a 1999 750ss too, and it has some pretty good character too.
so, as always with motorcycles, if your heart tells you to buy it, well, that is what you should do.
if you have more questions I will answer them, if I can
Old 11-12-2018, 04:50 PM
MotoGP

I gotta find it interesting that it stirs the soul. Just not enough to ride it. I get it but it does sound a little ironic.

My single sided swingarm VTR is the same way. It barely gets touched which is sad. I've come to appreciate my daily VTR with the 52 liter givi that can go anywhere anytime and bring groceries too.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:43 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Just curious by gas tank issues you mean because its plastic?
As finepooch mentioned, the tank grows a bit in length. On the MTS in question, the tank extends under the seat a bit. There is a possibility that the mounting points become compromised. That is my understanding.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:55 PM
MotoGP

Right due to its plastic construction and possible ethanol interaction yes?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:19 PM
SuperBike

Right due to its plastic construction and possible ethanol interaction yes?
I assume it’s from the ethanol, but I don’t really know.
There was a class action lawsuit a few years back to address that issue. But that’s long since over with.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:19 PM
MotoGP

Those crazy Italians. I just put a clutch in a monster. They are beautiful but quirky. A lot like dating a crazy stripper. You'll have fun, but you will pay for it.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:32 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
If you have any questions on those first series Multi's, check here Multistrada.net :: Forums
I've been on there since 09, way before I bought my MTS. That group is somewhat like this forum in that it really slowed down after FB groups took off. If you are on there, lmk and I'll add you. Still some quality knowledgeable guy you can trust.

I really fell 1/2 in love with the Multistrada when I sat on the gen 1. Ergos were absolutely perfect for me. If it weren't for the cyclops nose, I'd have bought in. So I ended up holding out and jumped in with a '10 S. They also had recalls for swelling tanks but mainly because they popped the screws that held the covers on. Some guys have boasted about an internal coating. A friend bought an '11 that had this done. I have no experience.
If I had any influence, I'd say do it if you think it's a well cared for machine. I love the lines of the 1st gen. Where the frame comes in at the feet, that red trellis is gorgeous. I do remember reading something about [I think] the 08 having valve guide issues?

I believe the '10-'14 is the greatest motorcycle ever produced. The '10-'12 has a raw visceral feel and experience. It's more a sportbike than tourer, and I like that edge.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:12 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I've owned a 1098 since 2009 and it's been nothing but trouble. Not a single year has gone by that it hasn't broken down in some form - most of the time leaving me stranded somewhere. The list of problems I've had with it is a mile long. I like the analogy of dating a stripper, sort of the right sentiment. I love riding it when it runs. The joy I get during the 90% of of up-time is worth the hassle of fixing it during the other 10%.....I guess.

That said, I'm seriously considering replacing it with a new CBR1000RR. If only I could find one in the right colors.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:24 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
I gotta find it interesting that it stirs the soul. Just not enough to ride it. I get it but it does sound a little ironic.
yeah, that is a bit ironic. I am old and decrepit, vtr is so much comfier and friendlier. but when I pull the cover off the 1098 and start it I always admire and truly enjoy it. I guess I also have an emotional attachment to it.