General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Clutch... Engages extremely hard

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Squid

Prowlerr is on a distinguished road
Clutch... Engages extremely hard

Ok, I bought this wrecked, it is all fixed now.

Here is my problem. The bike leaves a stop fine between 1000 and 2500 rpm or so. If I try to launch it for a burnout or a serious start, I would say from 3000 to 4000 rpm, when I get to the clutch engage point (which is ridiculously too near the end, as most Honda hydro's) the clutch engages so hard it lurches and wants to launch the front.

I can not slip it for a decent launch. Clutch fluid has been changed (new dot4), I bled it, that is not the problem. I also am running Hondaline oil, I don't know what the previous owner ran but he was a bit of an Idiot so he might have run some crap through it. Bike has 20,000 miles on it.

My next step was a new clutch and springs. I'm just not sure that will do it, It has never slipped, and I have had a couple bikes eat clutches and groove baskets but none felt like this.

Before flaming me for abusing my bikes and their clutches, I'm referring to dirt bikes I've raced and Honda 900s that I beat on track days.

Thanks to all in advance,
Prowlerr
Old 07-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
The 'Hawk is just that way. It'll groan loudly and grab if you try to launch too hard. The bike has enough torque to do a quick street start and pin it and the front wheel should hover a few inches above the ground. That's the best acceleration method I've found.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:06 AM
Squid

Thanks Hawkrider, for your posts in both of my questions.

I had heard that these bikes launch hard from a salesman at the local dealer. I just know him well and he is an idiot, so I discounted his opinion till I heard it here.

Has anyone tried different spring tensions? or maybe spacers in the clutch slave to move the engagement more to the middle? I don't think tha spacers would have much effect on slip but it could move the engagement in to the bar closer.

I wasn't concerned with the clutch in any of the other gears until I was thinking of the long decreasing radius corner I usually take going from 4th to 3rd and slipping the clutch in on my 900rr. Now I am a little worried about pounding that road on this bike.

Thanks Again all,
Prowlerr
Old 07-10-2007, 04:05 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I've never heard of anyone having a problem underway, only launching. Motorcycle.com discussed this when the bike was first introduced during dragstrip testing (they ran 10.83/127 by the way, nice...). You should still be able to look it up-it's a comparo with the TL1000S. I've had it happen a couple times-really annoying if you're not ready for it, which usually you're not. It catches/grabs really hard, releases, grabs, releases... I do believe some others on here have changed clutches/springs and said they no longer had a problem but I can't confirm this. It usually happens if you rev it up pretty good and let out the clutch from a stop...
Old 07-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
For normal street starts, the clutch is fine, but if you rev it up beyond about 5000 RPM, it just GRABS QUICK, no slip. I've poped a few wheelies accidently that way! It just seems to be the way the clutch behaves.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:55 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...1997-3360.html

Here's one of the superhawk comparos from motorcycle.com where they reference it. They had another comparo with a tls, a tlr and a ducati, but they seem to have removed it with the new website. If I remember right they described it as locking and releasing, and "not fun." That's pretty much how I remember it the couple times it's done it. It's pretty violent and locks and releases/chatters pretty hard-kinda sucks actually but only does it once it awhile if you rev it up and slip the clutch from a start.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Squid

jtgraha2 is on a distinguished road
i've found that if I use an extra 1/2-1 quart of oil the clutches will remain in oil under a hard launch...thus producing a much smoother slip.

good luck with it,
Jon
Old 07-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Squid

Thanks all,

I'm ready for an oil change so I'll try a 1/2 then a full extra qt. easier than the rest of my thoughts.

Thanks again,
Prowler
Old 07-10-2007, 05:41 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
The crank will whip the oil too, foaming it and blowing oil particles in the airbox.