General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New to site, considering adding a VTR

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:52 AM
Squid

birdman99 is on a distinguished road
New to site, considering adding a VTR

New to the site...welcome to me

I'm a Blackbird owner ('99), love the bike but am also considering a 2002 Superhawk.

Last year I had two bikes, but my preference for the Blackbird caused me to sell the 2010 Concours. The Honda is a superior bike, despite the 11-year difference.

Anyway, I'm really drawn to own a twin and I've found a nice 2002 VTR. The only thing holding me back is:
1) do I really need two bikes?
2) that whole range issue with the SH
3) Also looking at a Moto Guzzi Breva Sport (2008)

Any insights are welcome.......
Old 02-12-2013, 07:11 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the super, superhawk forum.

Now to try and answer a few of your questions.
1st, you are on a hawk/fs forum, which means every answer about the
hawk will be 'it's the best bike out there'.
And yes it is ! Fun to drive, good power band, loads of torque.

Your first question, none of us can do anything about.
Second question, not sure exactly what you mean. Are you
speaking of miles/km range on a gas tank ?
Third, I'm sure the Guzzi is a good bike....but can't elaborate, so,
I'll let other folks who know about this one answer.

One more question you need to ask, do you just want to buy it, and ride, and nothing else ? Or, do you intend on modifing and getting your hands dirty a little ? Because there are a few items about this bike we will recomend you tend to once in your hands, if not already done (ex: CCT's)

Good luck
Old 02-12-2013, 07:34 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
So why are you looking at another bike from the blackbird? I've never been on one, but it seems the Hawk is a "sportier" option (rather than touring). Rarely have I had the range be more than just a nuisance, often I'm ready to get off the bike when I'm out of gas anyway. And if I were to do long rides, I'd jump on the blackbird...

As was said, there are a couple of minor maintenance things to take care of (cct's and r/r) but the motor is amazing and will last a long time. The bike is very street friendly and very versatile. Most people like to adjust the outdated suspension, but it can be anything from an all out track bike to everyday commuter with a few changes. It can be left stock or stripped to unrecognizable form and does well at both. It's different from all the i4's you see, sounds better, looks better, all while keeping the Honda reliability. What do you plan on doing with it? If range is an issue, it'd definitely something to consider (or if you're the type to play in the garage, you can do a VFR tank swap).
Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum!

Im gonna add to what jack flash said and add a couple cents of my own...

This is an amazing bike and you will get a lot of those answers here, however most people here do or have ridden other bikes.... and although I think that Guzzi is damn sexy I know nothing about it personally...

Personally I enjoy the character of this bike and even though its a great and fun bike out of the box, my favorite aspect is that theres always something to improve on and it usually requires getting my hands dirty and getting creative.

Now on to your questions;

first, The more the merrier is my opinion. I wish I could afford multiple bikes but at the moment thats not gonna happen.

Second, if your referring to the gas range many people here have modified and fit a VFR tank which has more capacity and I believe follows the lines of the bike just as well if not better then the VTR tank. others keep spare fuel canisters in there backpack and others dont mind stopping more frequently then other bikes.

and I already answered question 3 the only thing I can add is to try and take both for a test ride

I hope this helps and good luck...
Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Hey Scottie, how much snow on your doostep ?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
Yes, 2 Bikes

Originally Posted by birdman99
New to the site...welcome to me

I'm a Blackbird owner ('99), love the bike but am also considering a 2002 Superhawk.

Last year I had two bikes, but my preference for the Blackbird caused me to sell the 2010 Concours. The Honda is a superior bike, despite the 11-year difference.

Anyway, I'm really drawn to own a twin and I've found a nice 2002 VTR. The only thing holding me back is:
1) do I really need two bikes?
2) that whole range issue with the SH
3) Also looking at a Moto Guzzi Breva Sport (2008)

Any insights are welcome.......
Everyone needs 2 bikes for 2 reasons. We need the best of both worlds and both means 2, natch. Now, although our worlds may differ the mandate is clear *2*
Old 02-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Squid

Minnihawk996 is on a distinguished road
Regarding the SH's limited range / fuel capacity - there is a local Minnie SH rider ('98 Red) who fabricated 2 extra gas tanks out of heavy gauge aluminum aircraft tubing (approximating the size/shape of stock exhaust cans) and mounted them parallel to and 1" above the stock cans - tied into the fuel delivery system with accessible petcocks. Says he's gotten used to the extra weight and loves the increased range. And the look is an eye-popper to be sure!

When the snow clears I will try and get some photos to post of this set-up. For now, I'll opt for more stops for local go-juice!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Hey Scottie, how much snow on your doostep ?
About a foot left after some rain but its supposed to snow again Wednesday and again over the weekend I believe...

Its just buying me more time to get my bike back together
Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Squid

Thanks "7"
Originally Posted by 7moore7
So why are you looking at another bike from the blackbird? I think a twin would be a hoot....

I've never been on one, but it seems the Hawk is a "sportier" option (rather than touring). Rarely have I had the range be more than just a nuisance, often I'm ready to get off the bike when I'm out of gas anyway. And if I were to do long rides, I'd jump on the blackbird...

As was said, there are a couple of minor maintenance things to take care of (cct's and r/r) Cam chain tensioner and r/r???but the motor is amazing and will last a long time. The bike is very street friendly and very versatile. Most people like to adjust the outdated suspension, but it can be anything from an all out track bike to everyday commuter with a few changes. It can be left stock or stripped to unrecognizable form and does well at both. It's different from all the i4's you see, sounds better, looks better, all while keeping the Honda reliability. What do you plan on doing with it? Likely just romping around for fun, but given the fact that the Bird is comfy to me, I could see some sport touring with it as well.If range is an issue, it'd definitely something to consider (or if you're the type to play in the garage, you can do a VFR tank swap).
Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Squid

Thanks Jumping JF...
Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Welcome to the super, superhawk forum.

Now to try and answer a few of your questions.
1st, you are on a hawk/fs forum, which means every answer about the
hawk will be 'it's the best bike out there'.
And yes it is ! Fun to drive, good power band, loads of torque.

Your first question, none of us can do anything about.
Second question, not sure exactly what you mean. Are you
speaking of miles/km range on a gas tank ?
Third, I'm sure the Guzzi is a good bike....but can't elaborate, so,
I'll let other folks who know about this one answer.

One more question you need to ask, do you just want to buy it, and ride, and nothing else ? Or, do you intend on modifing and getting your hands dirty a little ? I'm no mechanic but yes I like to poke around and grab the wrench when I can. Adjusting my own valves, etc is something I would want to do.Because there are a few items about this bike we will recomend you tend to once in your hands, if not already done (ex: CCT's)

Good luck
Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Squid

Thank you zxbud....
Originally Posted by zxbud
Everyone needs 2 bikes for 2 reasons. We need the best of both worlds and both means 2, natch. I tell my girlfriend that too....about motorcycles. Now, although our worlds may differ the mandate is clear *2*
Old 02-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

R/R as said by 7moore, means regulator/rectifier.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:01 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
25L tank up from 19L

www.vtr1000.org • View topic - Me petrol Tanker pics!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:40 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Yes, the VTR has limited range compared to many dedicated sport touring bikes. However, that has never prevented me from doing what I want with it. I've ridden from my home in Ontario, Canada as far east as Cape Breton Island and as far west as Utah. I've never carried extra fuel. The gas tank is stock. I haven't run out of gas yet although I know it will happen this year because I've just jinxed myself.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:22 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
I haven't been really inconvenienced with the fuel capacity either. If I was riding off the beaten path, and needed the extra range I don't think I'd take the Hawk.

As has been said, after 100+ miles, it's time for a stretch anyways.

Its a fun bike, but so is the Blackbird. On the plus side, the Hawk is cheap. Tell the girlfriend its the economical choice!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:25 PM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
As a current Blackbird and VTR1000 owner, I own both because I got great deals on the purchase of each.

If you really like the feel of a V-twin, you can really go wrong with the VTR. If you find a good deal, jump on it.

Personally, I feel that a used 1st gen. SV650 would serve the V-twin feel for cheap, plenty of engine output to be fun if you know how to ride it. Far better fuel econ than VTR, tons of upgrades available for better performance. Everytime i buy a used SV650, I turn a profit selling it the next season, yet still have plenty of fun with it.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Squid

Thanks Cat...

Originally Posted by cat0020
As a current Blackbird and VTR1000 owner, I own both because I got great deals on the purchase of each.

If you really like the feel of a V-twin, you can really go wrong with the VTR. If you find a good deal, jump on it.

Personally, I feel that a used 1st gen. SV650 would serve the V-twin feel for cheap, plenty of engine output to be fun if you know how to ride it. Far better fuel econ than VTR, tons of upgrades available for better performance. Everytime i buy a used SV650, I turn a profit selling it the next season, yet still have plenty of fun with it. Interesting that you mention the SV. That is another twin I've considered. Last year a group of us went on a tour to the Black Hills and then thru Wyoming and a loop around Colorado. I was on my 2010 Concours, one in our group had a SV 650. At one point we were switching bikes and comparing rides. I was amazed at how well that 650 could pull. And the owner never lagged a bit in all the mountain riding; in fact I think he was faster (yes, a better rider) in the tight stuff. (other bikes: St 1100, ST 1300, R1200GS, C14)....why the 1st gen Suzuki? I recently saw a nice deal on an '05 SV 650s

Old 02-12-2013, 05:30 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cat0020

Personally, I feel that a used 1st gen. SV650 would serve the V-twin feel for cheap, plenty of engine output to be fun if you know how to ride it. Far better fuel econ than VTR, tons of upgrades available for better performance. Everytime i buy a used SV650, I turn a profit selling it the next season, yet still have plenty of fun with it.

My thoughts exactly. If the price is right who cares? Try it out, shine it up, and if you decide it's not for you can probably even turn a small profit and it cost you nothing to try it out and have some fun with it. And if you've never ridden one an SV650 is also a very fun bike to ride and while not a rocketship was also much more powerful than I thought it would be.

My superhawk has shared garage space with a ZX12 and currently a Hayabusa. I just depends on what YOU like and the kind of riding you'd like to do as well. Sometimes the big bikes are a bit TOO much around town, and I have more fun on the superhawk.

Last edited by captainchaos; 02-12-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Bike Hoarder
Squid

SgtHollywood is on a distinguished road
Pick up a SuperHawk and feel fine. 2 Bikes isn't that bad...then again I have a bad habit...
Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum!

What sold me on the Superhawk was this little story.

My buddies and I were riding to our weekly bike night. I was on my 97 VFR (loved that bike!) and my buddy just installed a set of Two Brothers slip ons onto his 02 Superhawk the previous day. So I had not heard it at full song - yet.

We proceed under a highway bridge...... and he nails the throttle. I knew he was going to flog it (we all have that friend ) but I wasnt prepared for that wicked, snarling, rumbling (similar to a small block) awesome melody belching out of that Vtwin exhaust - with extreme authority I might add.

Momentarily it gave me goosebumps. Then, like a rogue wave following a tsunami, that sound reflected off all that concrete and reasonated inside my helmet. It caught my immediate attention. Hell it caught everyones attention!

When we stopped at the next traffic light (after the cars caught up to us) the car on the left yelled "that was badass, what kind of bike is that". The car on the right said "that was phuken awesome dude!!". The cars in the turning lane were driving past us giving thumbs up out their windows. It was a SWEET moment in riding history!

I was sold right then and there...so long VFR its been a fun time.

I'm telling you there is nothing like owning one of these bikes - you'll see!

Last edited by Tebs; 02-12-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:01 AM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by birdman99
Thanks Cat.....why the 1st gen Suzuki? I recently saw a nice deal on an '05 SV 650s
Post 2003 models are FI, usually very prominent on-off throttle feel;
aftermarket mods for better performance are easy to gain hp from carb'ed engine. I never had any problems working on carbs. FI just difficult to tune without switching out the ecu and messing with the fuel maps.

2nd gen. have straight edged aluminum frame, seems to me reduced the ride quality from 1st gen; maybe something can be fixed with aftermarket suspensions, but I never feel as comfortable on a 2nd gen. SV650 when I'm pushing the pace.
The Gladius SFV650 seems to have solved that problem by going to steel trellis type frame.

Name:  SUC51492.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  151.7 KB

2nd gen. SV also weighs slightly more than 1st gen. Most of it, probably pricing for me, carb'ed models are usually cheaper to purchase used... and very easy to work on.

Last edited by cat0020; 02-13-2013 at 07:13 PM.