Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

waited too long

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
well I just discovered something else.........that w/o the CCT, the you can't get an accurate cam/shim clearance check as the cams flop back and forth, doh. So i'm going to do the CCT and re-install, but then, it would seem that the amt of tension put on the chain via the CCT adjustment might affect clearances. I didn't think the loose cam chain would affect the clearance, but it must, because i could no longer get a .005 feeler gauge into the intake. We'll see when I re-install the CCT and snug it up if It reads .005 again.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:48 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
The error in your reasoning is that these bikes use CV carbs. That and what you want to sync is the slide opening, not butterfly position.

On non-CV carbs, yes you measure the slide opening to get things sync'ed up. On CV's it is totally controlled by vacuum. So butterfly position really has nothing to do with it, that is why there is no mention of checking the butterfly position on an engine with CV carbs.

If you want to try it out, pull the carbs and get the butterfly openings matched exactly. Now go ride the bike. After that hook up a vacuum gauge and set the vacuum to the same value on both carbs and try it again. Which one do you think will give you the best results??
I can't agree with you here.

The slides keep the velocity through the throat nearly constant when the throttle is open. The opening of the slides is driven by velocity, not vacuum. High velocity creates low pressure at the slide actuation port and causes the slide to open.

At idle the slides are completely closed. Carb synchronization adjusts the butterfly position on the rear carb, so that vacuum is the same in both intake tracts. The vacuum creates a high velocity across the idle port, creating low pressure. Higher pressure in the float bowl pushes fuel through the idle jet. It has nothing to do with the slides. Slides control needle position, adjusting the fuel mixture relative to the expected flow at a particular slide position - at open throttle positions only.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
You guys are confusing me... What were we arguing about?!

Oh, right... The valve clearence in the carbs...

Can't we just agree that both the carbs and the valve clearances are OK when in spec, but for best performance spot on is significantly better... Trust me, it's noticable in both cases...
Old 01-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Tweety

Can't we just agree that both the carbs and the valve clearances are OK when in spec, but for best performance spot on is significantly better... Trust me, it's noticable in both cases...
And this is what I've been trying to say......
Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RCVTR
High velocity creates low pressure at the slide actuation port and causes the slide to open.
Any pressure lower than 14.7 psi absolute (as apposed to 14.7 psi gauge pressure) is considered vacuum. So vacuum is what opens the slides.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
And this is what I've been trying to say......
Yeah, well... When I read the manual for spec's, in my mind "within spec" translates to, "spinning metal parts won't hit each other and blow stuff up"... Spot on is what I aim for, every time... Then again, I reserve the right to disagree with any posted specification in the manual at any given time... Seeing as Honda made a few mistakes while building the bike... Like not using radial front calipers and a bunch of other stuff...

I have a collection of manuals... Each of them applies to one or two parts on my bike...
Old 01-03-2011, 11:06 AM
SuperBike

Let's go for 5 pages. I don't think we can get there with valve adjustment alone. BTW, I didn't know that Hotcams kits were in .002" increments - not buying one.

Vacuum is measured across the throttle plate. When the throttle is closed, vacuum is high - assuming the engine is running. The slide actuation port is before the throttle plate. If it wasn't the slides would be wide open, when the throttle is closed.

Velocity through the carb venturi, creates low pressure at the slide actuation port. But only if the throttle is open enough to create that velocity. It is entirely different than the vacuum measured in the intake port. Therefore, the slides are actuated proportional to veloctiy, not vacuum. They acuate to maintain constant velocity through the venturi, and meter the fuel at mid-high throttle positions.

At wide open throttle, the slides open gradually, as engine RPM increases. This allows the fuel to be accurately metered across the RPM range, by maintaining semi-constant velocity through the venturi. The needle profile creates a fuel map, based upon an estimated mass air flow at a given slide position.

Last edited by RCVTR; 01-03-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by BeerHunter
With 'non-CV carbs', i.e. Piston Valve (slide) type carburetors, the throttle cable directly controls the slide movements. Anytime the needles are removed from that type of setup a vacuum synchronization is absolutely required.
Umm slide type carbs are the ones you set by measuring the slide opening. In fact most of the slide type carbs don't have any vacuum port to attach a gauge. So got to disagree here.

With CV carbs, which are frequently referred to as 'constant velocity' or as stated in the Honda Common Service Manual 'constant venturi', the throttle cable directly controls the movement of the butterfly valves. When unitizing a bank of CV carbs after having been separated from one another the butterfly valves MUST be bench-synched before being reinstalled back on the engine. With CV carbs there is normally no need to visually check the throttle openings on the bench since separation of the unit is rarely required. This is one of the several benefits of CV vs slide. Routine maintenance is simplified.
A couple of things here. First is the bench-sync you refer to. Can you tell me why, if this is a critical step, no mention of it is made in the VTR service manual? The carb reassembly section from 5-15 through 5-18 makes no mention of the butterflies what so ever.

The real reason for CV carbs is that they work better in a wider range of atmospheric pressures. Then again that is a whole different topic, so I'll just leave that one alone.

It matters not which type of carburetor system is dealt with since BOTH require an eyeball adjustment prior to fine tuning with a vacuum adjustment.
Well the only thing I can say is at least you are now saying you do need a vacuum gauge to do the job correctly on CV carbs.

Your logic appears as follows:
A. exact valve lash adjustment is best (true)
Another one where it is good to see that you don't support the "close enough" option that you started with.

B. the valves can be way out and you can still synch the carbs (false)
Care to elaborate a bit and tell me why or is just saying false all you have?

C. what you want to sync is the slide opening, not butterfly position (false)
Once again, it would help the discussion if you stated why you believe this, not just type out false.

D. On CV's it is totally controlled by vacuum (true in relation to throttle opening, or butterfly position)
Not sure of your point here but like your last couple of statements, you don't give much to work with.

E. butterfly position really has nothing to do with it (false)
Once again, it makes for a much better discussion if you give some reasons here.....

If these were all in fact true, then one could possibly surmise that: regardless of valve lash and differential in throttle opening the carburetors will synchronize themselves, and therefore exact valve lash adjustment is not necessary.
Am I reading this correctly? My head hurts...
What in the hell are you talking about?? Sync themselves..... where did you get that from?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Let's go for 5 pages. I don't think we can get there with valve adjustment alone. BTW, I didn't know that Hotcams kits were in .002" increments - not buying one.

Vacuum is measured across the throttle plate. When the throttle is closed, vacuum is high - assuming the engine is running. The slide actuation port is before the throttle plate. If it wasn't the slides would be wide open, when the throttle is closed.

Velocity through the carb venturi, creates low pressure at the slide actuation port. But only if the throttle is open enough to create that velocity. It is entirely different than the vacuum measured in the intake port. Therefore, the slides are actuated proportional to veloctiy, not vacuum. They acuate to maintain constant velocity through the venturi, and meter the fuel at mid-high throttle positions.

At wide open throttle, the slides open gradually, as engine RPM increases. This allows the fuel to be accurately metered across the RPM range, by maintaining semi-constant velocity through the venturi. The needle profile creates a fuel map, based upon an estimated mass air flow at a given slide position.
I think we are stuck on semantics here. To me, we are both say pretty much the same things just using different terms.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:22 AM
SuperBike

I know. It just gives me something to talk about.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:49 PM
MotoGP

Dayam, thanks for that tweety, I was getting worried that i was the only one.haha
Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, well... When I read the manual for spec's, in my mind "within spec" translates to, "spinning metal parts won't hit each other and blow stuff up"... Spot on is what I aim for, every time... Then again, I reserve the right to disagree with any posted specification in the manual at any given time... Seeing as Honda made a few mistakes while building the bike... Like not using radial front calipers and a bunch of other stuff...

I have a collection of manuals... Each of them applies to one or two parts on my bike...
speaking of the"official" honda manual, the pic showing valve adjustment shows the lob down and out as in the wrong TDC, the one that is not on the compression stroke, where i had mine first, the one where i determined that i had no clearance.rot roh..... This kind of misrepresentation isn't good for mechanical dimwits like me.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:30 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
After finding occasional wrong torque specs, especially for brake caliper guide pins and mounting bolts, I started requiring my students to tell me the spec they'd looked up before torquing. That problem was with the 2 major online subscription automotive manuals, which cost the school about $2,000/year.

Having them check with me first saved a lot of broken bolts...I.E. an indicated spec of 65 foot pounds for an 8mm bolt that should be torqued at around 16 to 20, depending on hardness.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:39 PM
MotoGP

A few notes for those doing this CCT mod:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=22711

when I redid the ccts according to above thread and reinstalled them, i followed the finger tight rule for setting chain tension. Since i had the valve covers and top chain guard off, i checked the tension before removing the OEM CCTs so i could compare that with the modded CCTs.

When I finger tightened the bolt as you would with APEs, the chain was noticeably looser between the cam sprockets than with the OEM spring type. Even though I had the threads clean and oiled, I could not finger tighten it enough to put the proper tension on the chain. So, if you are adjusting the tension with everything buttoned up, you need to do as tweety suggested: finger tighten, start motor and tighten bolt till the chain is quiet, and then tighten the lock nut.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981

When I finger tightened the bolt as you would with APEs, the chain was noticeably looser between the cam sprockets than with the OEM spring type. Even though I had the threads clean and oiled, I could not finger tighten it enough to put the proper tension on the chain. So, if you are adjusting the tension with everything buttoned up, you need to do as tweety suggested: finger tighten, start motor and tighten bolt till the chain is quiet, and then tighten the lock nut.
Glad i wasn't the only one

I just figured my fingers weren't strong or something!. Still don't need to torque very much though. And to add I believe that Tweety's method works better when the motor has been warmed up...
Old 01-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Umm slide type carbs are the ones you set by measuring the slide opening. In fact most of the slide type carbs don't have any vacuum port to attach a gauge. So got to disagree here.

Welllllll... I have worked on several models of honda CV carbs, a Kawasaki with CV, and a '78 Suzuki GS1000 with stock slide carbs (vacuum sych is needed on those too!). NONE of them have vacuum ports on the carburetor body. The vacuum nipple is tapped to the cylinder head intake just after the carburetor. Did you not know that your SuperHawk's carbs do not have vacuum ports?

A couple of things here. First is the bench-sync you refer to. Can you tell me why, if this is a critical step, no mention of it is made in the VTR service manual? The carb reassembly section from 5-15 through 5-18 makes no mention of the butterflies what so ever.

All make-specific Honda shop manuals assume that the reader also has a copy of the Honda Common Service Manual, which I provided a link to in a previous post. The information you ask about is contained therein.

The real reason for CV carbs is that they work better in a wider range of atmospheric pressures. Then again that is a whole different topic, so I'll just leave that one alone.

Agreed. Not an issue here.

Well the only thing I can say is at least you are now saying you do need a vacuum gauge to do the job correctly on CV carbs.

I am not sure now whether you have really read my posts. I never said that a vacuum gauge is not needed.

Another one where it is good to see that you don't support the "close enough" option that you started with.

I conceded earlier that there is nothing wrong with doing the best you can. It is absolutely preferred... just not necessary is all I said.

Care to elaborate a bit and tell me why or is just saying false all you have?

I was trying to describe this in post #83. Not sure how to explain it any further at this time as it seemed clear to me even after re-reading several times.

The rest is a cascade effect.

Once again, it would help the discussion if you stated why you believe this, not just type out false.

Not sure of your point here but like your last couple of statements, you don't give much to work with.

Once again, it makes for a much better discussion if you give some reasons here.....

What in the hell are you talking about?? Sync themselves..... where did you get that from?
I am trying to follow what it is you have written. Since I cannot read your mind I must read you sentences. I can only conclude that last statement according to your posts. Well, I could conclude many things actually. I seek clarity.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

A few notes for those doing this CCT mod:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=22711

when I redid the ccts according to above thread and reinstalled them, i followed the finger tight rule for setting chain tension. Since i had the valve covers and top chain guard off, i checked the tension before removing the OEM CCTs so i could compare that with the modded CCTs.

That looks like a great mod. I would have gladly tried it a couple years ago had I known. Those damn APE's... all pricey and ****.

This was probably covered before, but another way to adjust the manual tensioner is measuring the amount of chain free play up and down at midpoint between the sprockets with piston at TDC compression. I believe it is 1/4" total if memory serves. Could be 1/8". It worked very well on mine anyway.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Welllllll... I have worked on several models of honda CV carbs, a Kawasaki with CV, and a '78 Suzuki GS1000 with stock slide carbs (vacuum sych is needed on those too!). NONE of them have vacuum ports on the carburetor body. The vacuum nipple is tapped to the cylinder head intake just after the carburetor. Did you not know that your SuperHawk's carbs do not have vacuum ports?

Well you got me there. I was typing fast and meant to state that most engines with slide type carbs have no vacuum ports anywhere. An example would be a Honda 305. So it is impossible to hook up a gauge. That is why you measure the slide opening. As for your last statement.....really, no I'm to damn stupid to know that......

I am not sure now whether you have really read my posts. I never said that a vacuum gauge is not needed.
What you did say was this:
Using vacuum gauges is an indirect way of measuring the throttle opening on each cylinder
Which would imply that if you directly measured the butterfly opening you would have a perfect sync, but I already gave you a way to test that theory.

I conceded earlier that there is nothing wrong with doing the best you can. It is absolutely preferred... just not necessary is all I said
What you really said was this:

If you really think that hitting the mark perfectly will make your bike run better, you might be good at convincing anyone that your choice of engine oil is better than the other guy's & For a racing engine it could be beneficial to hit it right on spec, but since you are not blueprinting your entire engine then landing within tolerance is more than adequate.
Both are incorrect statements.

Though at this point I don't see any benefit of continuing with all this. So I'll just let you guys have your fun. I will leave you with this though. If sync'ing carbs is all about getting the butterflies to open together, what do you do with slide carbs that have no butterflies?

Have a nice day.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:50 PM
SuperBike

I'm not sure what is understood or not here.

Synching the carbs is done to equalize the vacuum on both carbs. This is done by adjusting the butterfly valve position on the rear carb.

How can it be interpreted any differently? A vaccum gauge is used to compare vacuum and the adjustment screw on the rear butterfly is adjusted until the vacuum is equal.

The slides have nothing to do with it. I've never adjusted flat-slide carbs, but it really has nothing to do with this conversation about valve adjustments. Super Hawk CV carbs have buttlerfly valves.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:11 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Glad i wasn't the only one

I just figured my fingers weren't strong or something!. Still don't need to torque very much though. And to add I believe that Tweety's method works better when the motor has been warmed up...
Since I had the chain/sprockets exposed, and knew what the OEM tension felt like, what i did was to tighten the CCT bolt with a small ratchet until I could feel that the chain was tight, then used an open end 10mm to back it off until i could tighten and loosen with my fingers. Then tightened with the fingers and tightened the locknut and the tension felt the same as OEM. Now we'll see what happens when I get it back together.

It should be right but if it doesn't sound right, then its do the tweety method and adjust while running.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

I'm not sure what is understood or not here.

Synching the carbs is done to equalize the vacuum on both carbs. This is done by adjusting the butterfly valve position on the rear carb.

How can it be interpreted any differently? A vaccum gauge is used to compare vacuum and the adjustment screw on the rear butterfly is adjusted until the vacuum is equal.

The slides have nothing to do with it. I've never adjusted flat-slide carbs, but it really has nothing to do with this conversation about valve adjustments. Super Hawk CV carbs have buttlerfly valves.
Exactly what I think I was trying to convey. I simply tried to commented that after the valves have been adjusted to within spec, then the next step in the tuning process would be to synchronize the carbs since the valve lash change would have a definite effect on vacuum and thus synchronization would be necessary.
If the valves are WAY out then any attempt at carburetor adjustment is futile.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:37 PM
MotoGP

That looks like a great mod. I would have gladly tried it a couple years ago had I known. Those damn APE's... all pricey and ****.

This was probably covered before, but another way to adjust the manual tensioner is measuring the amount of chain free play up and down at midpoint between the sprockets with piston at TDC compression. I believe it is 1/4" total if memory serves. Could be 1/8". It worked very well on mine anyway.
With the OEM CCT in there, the chain had about 1/8 slack between the sprockets at TDC, I was able to duplicate that using the method described in the previous post.

Yeah this mod seems to be a good set up. Thanks to Calitoz for the description and pics and Tweety for explaining how and why it works and the simple bolt in the OEM CCT doesn't.

I don't have a drill press to center-drill the top of the worm gear(which has a slit) so that the adjusting bolt can be secured, so i used a dremel with a cone shaped stone to start a centered hole, then hit it with a 5/16 drill. The result is a cone shaped divot. Then ground the end of the adjuster bolt slightly and it fit right in the divot.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Well let me ask a couple of question regarding the train of thought that sync'ing means getting both butterflies to open at the exact same time.

First, have you ever done a compression test? If so were the numbers between the cylinders exactly the same? It can happen but is actually rather rare for that to happen. So if there is a difference in compression, wouldn't there also be the same difference when the piston tries to fill the cylinder (or the amount of vacuum created)

Then, with different length velocity stacks do both cylinders have the same flow at idle?

So if these things are true, wouldn't you get a different vacuum reading on each cylinder if the butterflies were set exactly the same?

Wouldn't you also be de-sync'ing the carbs as soon as you hooked up a vacuum gauge and balanced the vacuum each carb is seeing?

Then the comments about the slides not being important. What is important, how the bike runs at below 3k and the throttle pretty much closed or 3k and above with the throttle open?

If you picked #2 then you would be more concerned that both slides see an equal vacuum signal so that they can open in sync.

So you can say what you want but I will stand by statement that what you are doing is making sure you have a equal vacuum so you get equal slide operation. The butterflies will be off, maybe not by much but still they will be at different openings, when sync'ed with a vacuum gauge.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Banned
MotoGP

then the next step in the tuning process would be to synchronize the carbs since the valve lash change would have a definite effect on vacuum and thus synchronization would be necessary.
In the spirit of clarity could you please explain something?

My question is, If sync'ing means getting the butterflies set to the exact same position, how would changing the valve lash have any affect on them?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:57 AM
MotoGP

In the spirit of clarity could you please explain something?

My question is, If sync'ing means getting the butterflies set to the exact same position, how would changing the valve lash have any affect on them?
well, we may be able to answer this question once and for all. Yesterday I called local honda and other bike shops to see if I could pick up some valve shims. Negative, nada, zip, zilch, zero and f*(k you! They said they could order them of course, but i wanted to get it back together quickly so I might take advantage of a brief respite in winter weather predicted for tomorrow. My wife was looking at the shims as I called around and minutes later she comes out with a jar of used watch, hearing aid, game, and other little batteries we collected for recycling. She says what about these? I laughed and pushed them aside at first, but as i glanced at the batteries, some of them liked looked they might be at least suitable for sizing.

To my surprise, with a micrometer and batteries scattered all over the table, I was able, after an hour or so of measuring and about 3 cups of go juice, to find the exact sizes i needed. So I pulled out a couple batteries for strength testing, bagged the good ones i measured, put the rest back in the jar and headed for the garage. After placing the test batteries in a vice, I found that they seemed plenty strong enough to be used, at least temporarily, to find out if i had indeed chosen the correct sizes to yield the clearances of .007in Intake and .013in Exhaust. These are +.001, but still in spec, with the anticipation that the valves will remain in spec for a long long time, hopefully delaying the need for pulling all this **** apart any sooner than necessary.

Anyway, i put the batteries in their respective positions, and upon checking the clearances, found that my calculations were spot on at .007 and .013 for both front and rear cylinders. Wow! that felt great to get it right the first time. Well now I am psyched. I couldn't resist the urge to fire this thing up, so i put everything back together and finally got it running late last night, er maybe early this morning. haha. Wow, i think we may have something here. It purred like a kitten, smoother than I've ever heard it since i bought it 10 years ago. So, I took it for a short ride and it runs much stronger than ever and, to maybe shed some light on 8451Hawk's thesis, this all without a re-sync of the carbs.

I decided that i would let these battery/shims in there for a while since i knew, or believed, that they had the necessary structural integrity(based on my vice testing) to last at least until I get some shims ordered up. Well, i wanted to do a little ride today since the weather is supposed to be the sunniest and warmest of the next couple weeks, a balmy 38F high this afternoon, and because i was anxious to do some third gear wheelies with my new super, sewing machine smooth Super Hawk mill.

So psyched to try this thing out, I go out to the garage this morning, get all my gear on, earplugs in, hit the choke and fired her up. Wow! Holy F*(k!.........the lights shining off the garage wall are almost blinding, like super LED bright, unbelievable! WTF is going on. So i pushed the horn button and it sounded like a freakin train horn echoing through the garage. Scared the living bejesus out of me and i almost dropped the bike. I put it back down on the sidestand, pulled my ear plugs to listen to my purring kitten. As I am in squatting down listening in wonderment, I am hearing a subtle ticking, maybe loose CCTs I don't know. As I continued to listen, I heard a little tocking with the ticking, like tic tic tock, tic tic tock, tock tic tock, and then a tock tock tic. I'm baffled and thinking..................... those GD batteries must be charging themselves and hyper powering my electrical system and, maybe even making this monster run like a raped ape as i noted on my short test ride last night.

Does anyone know if this is even possible?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:01 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Hell, you'd think the shim kit would be the way to go, but not necessarily so, huh> Sounds like trying to find exactly what you need could be lots of fun, and lots of trips to the dealership. It will probably take me days just running back and forth. I think this is gonna suck.

Maybe i'll try to land on .007 I and .013 EX so that by the time they tighten up over time, we'll be right there at .006 and .012. It is +or - .001 I believe.
Man, I never new this was so hard to do

I got a shim kit if you need it just send me a PM...Rick C.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:30 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road

So psyched to try this thing out, I go out to the garage this morning, get all my gear on, earplugs in, hit the choke and fired her up. Wow! Holy F*(k!.........the lights shining off the garage wall are almost blinding, like super LED bright, unbelievable! WTF is going on. So i pushed the horn button and it sounded like a freakin train horn echoing through the garage. Scared the living bejesus out of me and i almost dropped the bike. I put it back down on the sidestand, pulled my ear plugs to listen to my purring kitten. As I am in squatting down listening in wonderment, I am hearing a subtle ticking, maybe loose CCTs I don't know. As I continued to listen, I heard a little tocking with the ticking, like tic tic tock, tic tic tock, tock tic tock, and then a tock tock tic. I'm baffled and thinking..................... those GD batteries must be charging themselves and hyper powering my electrical system and, maybe even making this monster run like a raped ape as i noted on my short test ride last night.

Does anyone know if this is even possible?
Dude, three things...

1) Is heat going to be a problem with this? As in, will the batteries swell? The cylindrical shape of the batteries seems to be strong enough to support the system tho...

2) If they fail, what are the consequences? I think it may be bad, which the worse the consequences are, the more I like to get something right.

3) If that magic power you've gained from adding batteries to your system actually works, then holy crap start working on patent drawings b/c that **** is awesome! It has all the ingredients in the system that I know about electricity: Metal, moving stuff, batteries, some smart person telling you why there is no way that would work and you probably did something else for it to be like that (these are coming...)
Old 01-04-2011, 09:07 AM
SuperBike

I never said anything about getting the butterfies to open at exactly the same time. They will, of course because they are mechanically linked.

If everytyhing were perfectly symmetrical in the engine, there would be no adjustment necessary. Syncing the carbs sets the vacuum the same on both cylinders. it does this by setting the rear throttle plate, so that the vacuum in both cylinders is the same. Simple as that.

The slides have a very large opening, when in the fully closed position. The opening around the throttle plates is very small. The edge of the throttle plate is very near and immediately in front of the idle port in the carb venturi. This creates a high velocity across the idle port, when the throttle is closed. The velocity through the slide opening is very low at idle, because the cross-section is many times higher, with the same mass flow rate.

I'll say it again. The slides play no part in carburetion at idle.

Nath, maybe you should try A123 watch batteries. It will be like increasing the duration and lift of your cams. You'll be at stage 2, for a fraction of the cost.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Banned
MotoGP

I'll say it again. The slides play no part in carburetion at idle.
I never said they did. What I did say is in the process of sync'ing the carbs, you are balancing the vacuum signal. That way when you open the throttle, you will continue to have a balanced signal so the slides can open together.

Though this is getting almost silly by now. The problem I had was with the statement that sync'ing the carbs meant getting the butterflies to be set exactly the same. If it was you would mechanically set the sync between them not use a vacuum gauge.

Now if you really want to get into the theory of how the pressure differential works or vacuum in general, I could talk about that all day as that is what I actually do for a living ( well up until a couple years ago when everything took a **** around here and I started my own bike repair business) and I specialize in the operation and repair of Helium Mass Spectrometers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium_mass_spectrometer.

I have also personally built systems with a base pressure of 1x10 E-15, so like I said I have a pretty good grasp of what vacuum is and how it works.

At this point I guess I am a bit frustrated that I have been unable to make my points clear enough for everyone to understand. So I'll try one last time to illustrate what I am saying.

There are 2 basic types of carbs on motorbikes. We'll call them mechanical & vacuum (or pressure differential) in this case to keep thing simple.

On a mechanical carb, the throttle cable hooks directly to the slide. So when you twist the throttle to 1\2 way opened (for example) the slide opens 1\2 way. The advantage to this set up is a quicker reving engine. this disadvantage is they are much more susceptible to changes in atmospheric pressure be it from a change in altitude or even a change in weather.

The reason for this is that when you abruptly open the throttle, there is a drop in pressure differential through the venturi. A way to visualize this is picture a vacuum cleaner with a hose attached. When you put your hand over most of the opening you can hear the air going by your hand at high velocity. The remove your hand, you can also hear the velocity drop to almost zero and even the motor of the vacuum slow for a fraction of a sec as it takes the bigger load.

How this relates to carbs is that when you wack the throttle open, you loose the pressure differential until the engine builds enough revs to compensate for the larger opening it is pulling through. This causes the engine to bog down momentarily. The way to alleviate this problem is an accelerator pump. This blast of fuel allows the engine to keep running smooth until it can build up enough pressure differential for the carb to function properly.

The problem with this type of carb is that if you have a change in atmospheric pressure (due to altitude change or even weather change) then the column of air moving through the venturi has a different density which requires a different accelerator pump setting. This is why these carbs are great for max power and\or racing but a pain in the *** on daily ridden machines.

You also have a selection of slides with different cut outs to also compensate for atmospheric changes but we'll just kind of leave that out right now for clarity.

Then you have CV (vacuum) carbs.
On this style of carb you have both a butterfly and a slide. In actuality the slide doesn't care what position the butterfly is in, the only thing that matters to it is the pressure differential through the venturi.

Think of it as an analog "fly by wire" set up. What happens is say you open the throttle 1\2 way, the butterfly opens telling the slide you would like 1\2 throttle. Then the slide looks at the pressure differential, as it slowly builds through the larger butterfly opening (but doesn't drop due to the slide remaining closed and only allowing flow through the cut out) the slides slowly open and there is no need for an accelerator pump as you never get the drop in pressure differential that you do with a mechanical carb .

The disadvantage to this set up is a slower reving engine. The advantage is the slides automatically compensate for atmospheric changes as they only open when you have the correct pressure differential.

Yes I have left a few minor things out but I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible.

Which leaves sync'ing the carbs.

On mechanical carbs, you measure the slide opening so that they move together (I.E. so that 1\2 throttle = the slide 1\2 way open on all the carbs) and then you tune them by adjusting the slide opening & accelerator pump.

On vacuum carbs, you hook up a gauge and balance the vacuum signal as that is what controls the slide opening. The purpose of this is the same as for the mechanical carbs, to get the slides to open together.

Hop[e this makes things a little bit clearer.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:27 PM
SuperBike

Ahhh - now we're speaking the same language.
I'm sure the miscommunication is largely my fault, due to rapid skimming of the words.

The only thing I would still debate is that I believe syncronizing the carbs is more about off-idle response than slide syncronization. I say this because the cross-section for airflow is very small at idle and therefore very sensitive to small changes in the throttle plate position.

By the time the slides begin to actuate, the airflow cross-sction is much larger and therefore less sensitive to very small differences in the throttle position.

Also less sensitive to small changes in the intake valve clearance

Quick Reply: waited too long