Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

waited too long

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:24 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
Dude, three things... If that magic power you've gained from adding batteries to your system actually works, then holy crap start working on patent drawings b/c that **** is awesome! It has all the ingredients in the system that I know about electricity: Metal, moving stuff, batteries, some smart person telling you why there is no way that would work and you probably did something else for it to be like that (these are coming...)
Originally Posted by RCVTR
Nath, maybe you should try A123 watch batteries. It will be like increasing the duration and lift of your cams. You'll be at stage 2, for a fraction of the cost.
I'm applying for patents first thing tomorrow. Took it for a long ride today and got 96 miles per gallon. Must be the electric assist via the battery shims. The only problem was that people coming at me kept covering their eyes from all the light, like blinding light from and extraterrestrial space craft. Guess I'm gonna have to develop some baffles for the lights. The only other problem is that annoying ticking and tocking highly audible despite 3 sets of earplugs duct taped in my ears.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:46 PM
MotoGP

need a little help with timing<<

seriously, seems like i'm goin nowhere with the shims. called the honda shop and they said they had all kinds of shims for $9 ea. Called the suzuki and they said they had them for $4 ea. Both were Hot Cams shims and unfortunately these are increments of 5 only and i need half way in between. Neither had a 2.02 or 2.03 which I need for the LR Intake, so i had to order it.

Anyway, I decided to put a 2.00 in that position and button up the rear cylinder temporarily so I can check the front cylinder valves. However i think the chain must have slipped despite having them plastic tied, because the sprocket marks RI and RE are not quite level with the surface of the case when the crank is at TDC compression. How do i put it back in time? Back off the CCT so i can loosen the chain and turn the sprockets to alignment? I'll do some searching since i don't seem to be doing so well with the Manual.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nath981
need a little help with timing<<

However i think the chain must have slipped despite having them plastic tied, because the sprocket marks RI and RE are not quite level with the surface of the case when the crank is at TDC compression. How do i put it back in time? Back off the CCT so i can loosen the chain and turn the sprockets to alignment? I'll do some searching since i don't seem to be doing so well with the Manual.
You may find that rotating the sprockets to try to get the lines exactly level with the case will only put the marks way off. It may also depend on your viewing angle.
I seem to recall using a mirror in order to get the proper view and then being satisfied with the alignment of the marks. Who knows, could have been a dream.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:47 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by BeerHunter
You may find that rotating the sprockets to try to get the lines exactly level with the case will only put the marks way off. It may also depend on your viewing angle.
I seem to recall using a mirror in order to get the proper view and then being satisfied with the alignment of the marks. Who knows, could have been a dream.
nah......... i used a straight edge across the top. thanks though.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
In the spirit of clarity could you please explain something?

My question is, If sync'ing means getting the butterflies set to the exact same position, how would changing the valve lash have any affect on them?

If the carbs had been previously synchronized with one or more valves way out of adjustment, then the throttle butterflies will be a little off in relation to one another. In this situation a sync will be wasted time since the valves require attention first. The engine will not run well under load at partial throttle. (which is where street machines spend most of their lives)

Once the valves are all correctly adjusted then the carbs can be accurately synchronized using the vacuum gauge.

Does this make sense? Or am I just spouting horseshit...
Old 01-04-2011, 08:13 PM
MotoGP

well, my carbs were synced prior to this valve adjustment, so when I get her done, I'll check and see if they are out of sync.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
If the carbs had been previously synchronized with one or more valves way out of adjustment, then the throttle butterflies will be a little off in relation to one another. In this situation a sync will be wasted time since the valves require attention first. The engine will not run well under load at partial throttle. (which is where street machines spend most of their lives)

Once the valves are all correctly adjusted then the carbs can be accurately synchronized using the vacuum gauge.

Does this make sense? Or am I just spouting horseshit...

Well if you read my last post you'll understand my reasons why I believe the butterflies have nothing to do with it.

Though you didn't address this statement which was the question I asked

"then the next step in the tuning process would be to synchronize the carbs since the valve lash change would have a definite effect on vacuum and thus synchronization would be necessary."
I just would like to know why if sync'ing is setting the butterflies to the exact same position, how changing the valve lash would change that setting?

You haven't touched the carbs, just the valves, so by using your logic, the carbs should still be in sync.

Last edited by 8541Hawk; 01-04-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:01 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

Well if you read my last post you'll understand my reasons why I believe the butterflies have nothing to do with it.

Though you didn't address this statement which was the question I asked

"I just would like to know why if sync'ing is setting the butterflies to the exact same position, how changing the valve lash would change that setting? "

You haven't touched the carbs, just the valves, so by using your logic, the carbs should still be in sync.
I read a post where you stated that the valves can be way out of adjustment and the carbs can still be synchronized. I assumed that everything else you argued was in support of that statement.

My position is that once the CV carbs are properly synchronized, with all valves within tolerance (and all other factors equal), THEN they will not need to be re-adjusted unless the carb assembly: A. is dismantled, B. the synch screw is accidentally turned or an adjustment is attempted when engine vacuum has been altered for some other reason, or C. in the event that the throttle linkage is damaged.

All throttle butterflies on a bank of CV carbs should open 'from a fully closed position' at the same time when the throttle sleeve is twisted. Only then can the vacuum operated slides do their magic to compensate for other variables.

Last edited by BeerHunter; 01-05-2011 at 05:16 AM. Reason: accidentally hit reply before typing anything
Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Nathan,
Once you get the cams and chain tensioner installed, rotate the engine through a full cycle, back to TDC-compression (2 crank rotations). Then check the timing marks.

It is not uncommon that the timing marks on the cam sprockets are not perfectly aligned with the top of the head, but it should be close. If it is off by one tooth on the sprockets the lines will be way off. If in doubt, the way to check it is to rotate the cams one tooth on the chain and see if it gets better, or worse.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:28 AM
SuperBike

I still don't know what 8541 and beerhunter are arguing about, since syncing the carbs is about setting the vacuum equal at both intake ports by adjusting the rear butterfly at it's nearly closed, idle position. Seems pretty simple.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure they are arguing... I think they are a bit bored...

And seeing as 8541 isn't snowbound, I consider that somewhat strange...
Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 AM
SuperBike

I think it's just because beerhunter hunts beer and rides with a tank top
Old 01-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
I'm not sure they are arguing... I think they are a bit bored...

And seeing as 8541 isn't snowbound, I consider that somewhat strange...
Slow week without much work so I'm kind of just sitting around..... and yes it is nice riding weather just to poor right now to take advantage of it......
Old 01-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Banned
MotoGP

I still don't know what 8541 and beerhunter are arguing about, since syncing the carbs is about setting the vacuum equal at both intake ports by adjusting the rear butterfly at it's nearly closed, idle position. Seems pretty simple.
Yet he is still hung up on butterfly position.

It is all about giving both carbs a equal pressure differential signal irregardless of where the butterflies end up when you achieve that equal signal.

The difference in opinion on if it is just for off idle or if it is about the slides, well I can let that one go. It really isn't that big of a point but as all the fuel circuits are driven by pressure differential, then setting a equal signal at idle will also give you an equal signal when the slides start to open, so it is actually the same thing.

If I really wanted to stir thing up I could comment on how I have modified my set up so that the slides don't open at the same speed and what the reasoning behind doing this mod ( though I do need to thank Bob H. & Dan Kyle for the idea)

That and I'm trying to get to 2500 post......lol
Old 01-05-2011, 01:04 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
If I really wanted to stir thing up I could comment on how I have modified my set up so that the slides don't open at the same speed and what the reasoning behind doing this mod ( though I do need to thank Bob H. & Dan Kyle for the idea)
Interesting... is the difference in speed bike specific, or would your setup work for all Hawks?

I'm stirring the pot...
Old 01-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Interesting... is the difference in speed bike specific, or would your setup work for all Hawks?

I'm stirring the pot...
It has to do with the different length velocity stacks.........
Old 01-05-2011, 01:24 PM
MotoGP

Different than stock ones (the Dr. Honda ones are in my future at some point)? Or just that they're different lengths in general. Based on my growing understanding of CV carbs- mainly through this thread haha- I like where this is going
Old 01-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Different than stock ones (the Dr. Honda ones are in my future at some point)? Or just that they're different lengths in general. Based on my growing understanding of CV carbs- mainly through this thread haha- I like where this is going
Well it does work with the stock ones that are different lengths & it also works with the Dr. Honda ones to help with the rich mid-range issue.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:36 PM
MotoGP

a couple observations about my first valve adjustment, not that anyone here give a flying F*(k. haha .....You guys are having fun anyway. However someone who tries to do a valve adjustment for the first time might be able to benefit, and so this is for his/her benefit. You guys just ignore what I'm going to say because you've all done it multiple time and already know what i'm going to say here.

1.If you intend to remove the sprockets from the cams, check the valves, and record the values first. Check accuracy of your valve clearances by using the next larger and the next smaller feeler gauges. If you intend to take the sprockets loose from the cams, then first loosen the 2 sprocket bolts(top one on each sprocket), then turn the crankshaft a little to bring the lower two bolts around and break these loose. Do not loosen them too much. Then bring the cams around to TDC compression stroke again and remove sprocket bolts. Paint the sprockets/chain in a couple places in case you need to get them aligned with the sprockets later. Zip tie the chain and sprockets so they hold their position. Put a couple paper towels or rag down along side of the sprockets so that the sprocket bolts won't get lost down in your engine.
Note: you may be able to remove the cams and sprockets as one unit if you can get enough slack in the chain by backing out the CCT unit. You also may be able to leave the chain zip tied and paint marked and just remove the cam covers and lift the cams to remove shims but I don't know.
2.It helps to have a skewer stick or similar in the plug hole so you can watch the piston going up and down when you're turning the crankshaft to find TDC. The cam lobes will be up and out or up and in at TDC on the compression stroke, not down and out or lying on the valve shim cover as shown in the Honda manual.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:14 PM
MotoGP

Well it does work with the stock ones that are different lengths & it also works with the Dr. Honda ones to help with the rich mid-range issue.
I'm taking the bait... I'm guessing they open faster at the mid range to compensate for the rich issue... and maybe open slower on the longer stack to keep air pressure higher. Total guesses, but I have to start somewhere!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:15 PM
MotoGP

a couple observations about my first valve adjustment, not that anyone here give a flying F*(k. haha .....You guys are having fun anyway. However someone who tries to do a valve adjustment for the first time might be able to benefit, and so this is for his/her benefit. You guys just ignore what I'm going to say because you've all done it multiple time and already know what i'm going to say here.
And I've been keeping notes on this whole thing too... the skewer trick was a new one for me. Can't wait to stab my eye with a piece of panda bear bamboo
Old 01-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

I think it's just because beerhunter hunts beer and rides with a tank top
GUILTY!!

I cruise the highways on my SuperHawk in search of lost and orphaned beers along the roadside, and once found stuff them into my tank top magnetic bag for later consumption. How did you know?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

Are you accepting guesses? How about: did you join the 2 vacuum ports from the intakes into a common point so that they might feel each other's pulse??
Old 01-05-2011, 05:56 PM
MotoGP

And I've been keeping notes on this whole thing too... the skewer trick was a new one for me. Can't wait to stab my eye with a piece of panda bear bamboo
this was suggested here earlier. I didn't use a skewer but a 15 " allen shaped rod with a feeler gauge welded to the end at a 60 deg angle. Works well because you really have to go easy right before TDC, esp since it gets harder to crank and therefore easy to overshoot the mark, so this was great to determine that the piston topped out because it doesn't move despite the fact that you are moving the crank a hair.

Speaking of the marks RT_ and FT_ , when you put the crankshaft exactly on the mark, that is matching the line on the crank to the indent on the case, and then check the marks on the outside edges of the sprockets, RI(Rear Intake) and RE(Rear Exhaust), they are not exactly even with the top edge of the case. Instead, since you moving counterclockwise, the RI is a little higher than the edge, and the REis a slight bit lower than the the edge if you get eye level with the lines. You can't see the RE very well because it is behind the frame, but if you lay a thin straight edge (like a new Hack saw blade) across the edges, you'll see how it matches the lines on the sprockets at TDC. If you move the crank an 1/8" past the mark on the crank, he lines are then straight in line with the top edge of the cylinder case. Also, this 1/8"movement past the TDC mark does not cause any movement of the piston(as per the skewer) or of the valves of course.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:28 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, I read it earlier, and thought, "hey, pretty cool idea!"

Did you get that timing to work out?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:45 PM
MotoGP

Determining the shims you need to purchase was a little confusing until I got a system and this helped a lot, but I'm slow. It took me a while.

first valve adjustment @25,000miles:

I wanted to do the rear first, and then move the crank around and do the front. As it turned out, I still need one shim for the rear... Had to order it from honda ($9)....so I put the old one back in temporarily so I could put the cams and sprockets/chain back in. Then the crank could be moved around for FTDC so i could find out what shims I needed for the front cylinder. But of course, somehow the the sprockets moved a little bit despite having them tied and paint marked, so I had to remove the CCT to take off enough tension so the chain could be pulled up to allow the sprockets to be rotated into alignment, i.e., TDC_ on the crank and the RE and RI lines even with the outer edges of the cylinder top edge.PIA

A word about shims. I was going to order a Hot Cams kit for $90 plus ship, thinking that I would have a selection to finish the job and not have to go running around and leave freakin parts all over the garage. Am I glad i didn't get the kit because I never would have known that they only come in increments of 5 mm instead of 2.5mm as Honda. All the motorcycle shops seem to have the Hot Cams shims. As it turned out, I only could use 4 Hot Cams shims and had to order the other 4 from Honda.

this is stupid: 175(1.75mm), 180. 185, 190 , etc. Hot Cams
175, 177.5(1.7750mm), 180, 182.5, 185, etc. Honda shims

The intakes are supposed to be .006 in+-.001, Exhausts .012 in+-1. My plan was to go for the +1, that is .007 Intake, .013 Exhaust so that they would be in spec much longer given that the tend to tighten over time and miles.

It turns out that all the Intakes were at .005in except one which was .006in. and all the exhausts were at .010in. Someone did a pretty good job setting them anyway.

All the shims i removed were different:200 178 208 182 175 198 180 205. As you can see, only 4 of these are even in terms of increments of 5, so that shows that the Hot cams deal is not gonna get it unless for divine intervention or unless you are willing to make them work by the +- tolerance.

Anyway, what i did to get to my +1 goal was to calculate the the increase needed in clearance,
subtract that amount from the removed shim and this tells you the shim you have to purchase. Of course you need to change inches to mm, so i used google fro the conversion numbers. For example, the exhaust was at .010in and i wanted to get to .013in(+1). So google ".003in to mm" and it replies ".003in=0.0762mm". So now you want to deduct this amt from the shim you removed. So I took a 182 shim out of the Exhaust and wanted to make it thinner by .003in or 0.0762mm.

1.8200mm
-0.0762mm(minus .003in to increase clearance from .010in to .013in or +1(in spec)
1.7438mm or 1.75mm(175 shim)

So that's how I computed all of them. It's easy if you just goggle .001,.002,.003 inches to mm, get those numbers and then subtract from shims you want to change.

After I get all the shims from honda, I'll put them in and post the actual clearances I end up.

Sorry for the laborious bullshit, but maybe it'll be easier for another first timer to get through.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:54 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, I read it earlier, and thought, "hey, pretty cool idea!"

Did you get that timing to work out?
yeah, thanks for the haynes pages. i had to remove the CCT to get enough clearance to move the sprockets one tooth but it seems ok. PIA At least it's the same as the front in terms of how the sprocket marks line up at TDC. I can't figure out how that happened since I had them plastic tied and painted, but the freakin paint came off the chain edges.haha stupid ****. I cleaned the oil off the front sprockets before painting marks. We'll see.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Nathan,
Once you get the cams and chain tensioner installed, rotate the engine through a full cycle, back to TDC-compression (2 crank rotations). Then check the timing marks.
A big +1. However it seems like nath has this taken care of now

But for future reference, it's quite common (with timing belts at least) on car engines for the marks to end up 1 tooth off after rotating the crank through a 4 stroke cycle. Then you have to move it 1 tooth on the cam sprocket to get it right, then rotate 2 revs of the crank and check it again. Always double or triple check before buttoning it up.

Oh, and have any of those batteries popped yet?

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 01-05-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Determining the shims you need to purchase was a little confusing until I got a system and this helped a lot, but I'm slow. It took me a while.

first valve adjustment @25,000miles:

I wanted to do the rear first, and then move the crank around and do the front. As it turned out, I still need one shim for the rear... Had to order it from honda ($9)....so I put the old one back in temporarily so I could put the cams and sprockets/chain back in. Then the crank could be moved around for FTDC so i could find out what shims I needed for the front cylinder. But of course, somehow the the sprockets moved a little bit despite having them tied and paint marked, so I had to remove the CCT to take off enough tension so the chain could be pulled up to allow the sprockets to be rotated into alignment, i.e., TDC_ on the crank and the RE and RI lines even with the outer edges of the cylinder top edge.PIA

A word about shims. I was going to order a Hot Cams kit for $90 plus ship, thinking that I would have a selection to finish the job and not have to go running around and leave freakin parts all over the garage. Am I glad i didn't get the kit because I never would have known that they only come in increments of 5 mm instead of 2.5mm as Honda. All the motorcycle shops seem to have the Hot Cams shims. As it turned out, I only could use 4 Hot Cams shims and had to order the other 4 from Honda.

this is stupid: 175(1.75mm), 180. 185, 190 , etc. Hot Cams
175, 177.5(1.7750mm), 180, 182.5, 185, etc. Honda shims

The intakes are supposed to be .006 in+-.001, Exhausts .012 in+-1. My plan was to go for the +1, that is .007 Intake, .013 Exhaust so that they would be in spec much longer given that the tend to tighten over time and miles.

It turns out that all the Intakes were at .005in except one which was .006in. and all the exhausts were at .010in. Someone did a pretty good job setting them anyway.

All the shims i removed were different:200 178 208 182 175 198 180 205. As you can see, only 4 of these are even in terms of increments of 5, so that shows that the Hot cams deal is not gonna get it unless for divine intervention or unless you are willing to make them work by the +- tolerance.

Anyway, what i did to get to my +1 goal was to calculate the the increase needed in clearance,
subtract that amount from the removed shim and this tells you the shim you have to purchase. Of course you need to change inches to mm, so i used google fro the conversion numbers. For example, the exhaust was at .010in and i wanted to get to .013in(+1). So google ".003in to mm" and it replies ".003in=0.0762mm". So now you want to deduct this amt from the shim you removed. So I took a 182 shim out of the Exhaust and wanted to make it thinner by .003in or 0.0762mm.

1.8200mm
-0.0762mm(minus .003in to increase clearance from .010in to .013in or +1(in spec)
1.7438mm or 1.75mm(175 shim)

So that's how I computed all of them. It's easy if you just goggle .001,.002,.003 inches to mm, get those numbers and then subtract from shims you want to change.

After I get all the shims from honda, I'll put them in and post the actual clearances I end up.

Sorry for the laborious bullshit, but maybe it'll be easier for another first timer to get through.

Good job and now you see why I said stay away from those kits....
Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 AM
MotoGP

Good job and now you see why I said stay away from those kits....
Well i didn't understand how it worked. I thought, maybe somewhat naively , if we all trusted each other to send shim kits to others when needed, that one kit would last indefinitely given that the shims taken out of the kit would always be replaced one for one. And this method might work for the most part in that as more use it, they would replace 5's with 2.5's. Users still may have to buy a couple that wouldn't be in the kit, especially because they would always be a needing thinner ones like 168, or 172.
Evidently, people who rely solely on the kit to set their valves are willing to go both above and below spec, i.e., plus and minus 1, to be able to replace their shims with only 5's, which by my way of thinking, is unacceptable. esp considering the labor involved.

Quick Reply: waited too long