Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Uh-ohh... coolant leaking out of mechanical seal inspection hole. What now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Squid

vtrktm is on a distinguished road
Uh-ohh... coolant leaking out of mechanical seal inspection hole. What now?

After riding a short distance today, noticed I had a wet right boot. Inspected the bike when I got home and noticed coolant leaking out of that tiny pin hole in the right crankcase cover the manual calls a mechanical seal inspection hole. Says if this is the case I need to replace the seal. Seems like there is quite a lot involved with bearing removers, mechanical seal driver tools, etc. required. Anyone done this seal replacement and can you do it in the garage without all this fancy stuff or am I best to take it to the shop?
Old 09-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
take a look

go to the knowledge base is this forum...click on service manual...and there you should be able to see if it is something you are capable of..good luck...basically gives you acess to the honda workshop service manual
Old 09-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Squid

vtrktm is on a distinguished road
Tx man, I'll give it a try.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Squid

vtrj is on a distinguished road
The jobs not all that difficult, i've done them in other bike's and i'm going to do the one's in my SH as soon as the parts come in. Just ordered them saterday, $125. for all the parts gaskets new oil, new coolant and such.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
IIRC, this is a silver seal and you must be VERY careful pressing the new one in. I highly suggest you take this to the dealer to have it done. That way if it gets messed up they pay for their mistake, not you. Should only be $10-20 based on the fact that it really only takes about 15 minutes to do IF you have the right tools.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Not hard, but a press and the install tool is best. Plus you have to set the depth of the seal to a tight tolerance or the pump gear rubs the case. Pull the side case off, take to a shop as suggested. Pay the Min shop charge to have them install a new seal. Worth the $$ in headaches unless you have the right tools and knowledge
Old 09-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
How much leak is too much leak? I have never had a wet foot, but I have noticed some fluid residue on the case below the hole. What is the risk in running it with a small leak?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:02 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
were U bending over

Originally Posted by vtrktm
After riding a short distance today, noticed I had a wet right boot. Inspected the bike when I got home and noticed coolant leaking out of that tiny pin hole in the right crankcase cover the manual calls a mechanical seal inspection hole. Says if this is the case I need to replace the seal. Seems like there is quite a lot involved with bearing removers, mechanical seal driver tools, etc. required. Anyone done this seal replacement and can you do it in the garage without all this fancy stuff or am I best to take it to the shop?
and could it have also run down your leg onto your boot when you noticed coolant leaking out of mechanical seal inspection hole?
Old 09-23-2007, 05:00 AM
Squid

I would'nt worry about seepage, you'll know if the seal is shot. The reason it comes out the hole is to prevent the two fluids from mixing inside the engine so it won't mess anything up unless it's really bad in witch case you'll get a wet leg.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:05 AM
Squid

The whole job only took about an hour. If you have a vise on your bench and a couple of sockets the right size you have a press.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:26 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
That's what I do, I use a socket that fits the outer edges of a seal, a 12" 1/2 extension and a hammer, I gently tap the seal in place checking the clearance if required. The extension helps to hammer it straight, when you use a socket only it's impossible to hit the center and to get the seal straight. You need a steady hand, a bit off center you'll have the chance to try again... I do this for bearing races, seals, freeze plugs. Sure thing a press is a more steady force to apply when a back clearance is needed.