Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Water pump weap / inspection hole

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 04:57 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Re: Water pump weap / inspection hole

I would say to replace it before it really lets go and leaves you stranded someplace. My '02 has not leaked yet (knocking on wood here!)

Rick B
Old 12-31-2005, 05:23 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
I just replaced mine in a different bike. A new mechanical seal shouldn't be very exspensive and it will just get worse so I would replace it right away but you could get away with riding it if you had to.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:49 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
One drop? None since? No worries.

BTW, there is a factory service bulletin on this.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:26 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt

Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly. It was a failure during the first few years of production and a fix. Actually, I just noticed that yours is an O2. The problem was fixed by then.

If your water pump or seal was bad, it would be leaking. It would also be likely to be making a noise. Yours doesn't seem to be. One drop really doesn't amount to anything notable or diagnosable.

If it makes you feel better, replace it. But you don't really (yet) have evidence of a problem. If you are really concerned, take it on a good hard ride, possibly blocking off the radiators to get the temp up good. Don't let it overheat, though. :wink: Then examine it for leaks. Put a pan under it and examine it again in the morning.

No evidence, no worries.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:57 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
This was a HUGE problem in the beginning. By huge, I mean blown out of proportions by some of the first new owners. There was even talk on the original US email list of a class action lawsuit for those not under warranty.

My original new 98 did this back in 97 when I bought the first one off the truck to my local dealer. They would typically weep for a while, slow, and then stop.

On my second 98, it had plenty of miles so it didn't do it. I broke the impeller while replacing the cover after a clutch change. I thought the case was hanging on the dowels but it was the impeller not lining up. DOH! File that tidbit of data for future reference. Anyway, I replace the impeller (slightyly different design) and the seal (no diff that I could see) but not the bearing. I used a hammer and appropriate size deep socket to replace them. Micrometer for depth measurement. 4k miles since with no problems.

IMO, this is the poorly thought out design. If you need to change out clutch plates regularly (drag racing), you have to pull the fairing AND drain the coolant AND oil although I think if you left it on the sidestand you could get away without draining the oil.

Wait and see it the weep gets worse.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:31 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point

mine just started leaking about month ago... still not a steady stream but enough to dirty up the side of my bike pretty good. i bought my parts from service honda and it cost me about $90. what was the fix for the earlier models?

service honda order
Old 01-05-2006, 09:50 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
no problem... and so you know... i did shop around and the better deal was at service honda..... ron ayers was a good deal as well but they were still about $10 or more overall.... plus the shipping was twice as much. the website interface isn't as easy at service honda though...
Old 01-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Superstock

You should be happy at that price. I looked everywhere and the only place to buy was from Kawi and the lowest price was $54. Not too expensive but after being nickled and dimed on every other seal and part during the engine rebuild everything hurts.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Superstock

I had a bad first impression of Ron Ayers but it turned out to not be there fault. I ordered a tire they advertised on the site (Dunlop Elite 3 MR90-18 ) for my KZ. A few days later they called to say it was on back order and a week later it was still on back order so I had them refund my money. I was pissed because they went past the estimated arrival date and I really needed the tire but the same thing happened at americanmotorcycletire.com. Turns out Dunlop had added it to its line but hadn't yet been able to create one because of a tooling issue.

Sorry for the long read. The point is Ron Ayers is a good place to buy.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Les
Squid

Les
don't forget three other items that will be needed

You will also need an oil drain plug washer, oil filter and coolant drain plug washer......if you want to do it right. I do not believe you should need a new impellor.