Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Mechanical Seal Break in?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Squid

aamikah is on a distinguished road
Mechanical Seal Break in?

Here is my question:
Does the mechanical seal need to swell before it seals?

Some background:
My mechanical seal started dripping coolant a while back so I decided to replace it. Ordered the parts and took the right side cover over to the dealer to do the install since I don't have a hydraulic press.

I reinstall the cover and start pouring coolant in the radiator when I notice a decent trickle of coolant pouring out of the weep spigot. I think there might have been a problem with the seal install so I take the cover back to the dealer and they tell me that it is normal, that the mechanical seal needs the engine to run a bit to "swell" the seal and then it will stop dripping.

Is this correct?

Thanks for any help. I took a quick look at mechanical seal posts on the forum here but didnt see anything about swell or break in.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Squid
Squid

franz125 is on a distinguished road
He did something wrong.Surfaces is ceramical no need any swelling.Check dimensions from manual.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:16 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I just had a problem similar to this. Short answer: I don't think so.

What happened with mine; same story. Put coolant in and it poured out the weep hole. WTF? Ok, take the think apart and during the installation of the bearings, the mechanical seal had been broken. There are two notches in the mechanical seal that need to line up with the cover to orient it correctly (and I'm assuming keep it from spinning).

The top of the seal is some kind of plastic or ceramic or something, and if it's not lined up correctly when the bearings are put in, it physically breaks, creating a crack that the coolant runs through. I was fortunate enough to have a spare cover and replaced the seal being careful to line up the notches. Re-installed and the seal worked perfectly the first time I put coolant in it. So, there's a good chance it was damaged on install, and at least on mine it didn't break in (although it was a used piece, but I don't see that being an issue)
Old 01-08-2012, 03:08 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
The top of the seal is some kind of plastic or ceramic or something, and if it's not lined up correctly when the bearings are put in, it physically breaks, creating a crack that the coolant runs through. I was fortunate enough to have a spare cover and replaced the seal being careful to line up the notches. Re-installed and the seal worked perfectly the first time I put coolant in it. So, there's a good chance it was damaged on install, and at least on mine it didn't break in (although it was a used piece, but I don't see that being an issue)
I don't know about this 7moore7. Manual doesn't state anything about lining up. You're saying the cover itself cracks, or the seal? -the seal on the water pump shaft, or the mechanical seal itself?

I just replaced mine, and it doesn't seem to be leaking at all?

A vice and a couple pieces of wood worked to press the water pump shaft in for me. Used a large socket and an extension to drive in the seals.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:11 PM
MotoGP

Just the seal, hold on I'll take a pic of my broken one here in a bit. It's just two little notches in the seal- chances are that you lined it up correctly w/out thinking because that's the only way that it goes on (unless you break it by forcing it on like I did)
Old 01-08-2012, 05:00 PM
MotoGP

Nm I threw it away...
Old 01-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Squid

Ok, thanks everyone. I recently found out my cousin has access to a shop with a press and I may be able to use it. Bit of a drive but...

I'll take everything out and take a look. If I find anything broken, I wonder if the dealer will replace it, or assume I broke it?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
If you have a good assortment of large sockets and a 6" vise you can install it yourself. That's how I did mine. Mine wasn't leaking. It was replaced whilst replacing the engine cover.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
If you have a good assortment of large sockets and a 6" vise you can install it yourself. That's how I did mine. Mine wasn't leaking. It was replaced whilst replacing the engine cover.
Ive got the sockets but not the vise. My cousin may have one in his garage though which would be less of a drive than the shop. I'll check this weekend. Thanks for the idea.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:16 AM
MotoGP

I've used a large c-clamp and socket before too. These bearings aren't particularly loaded either...
Old 01-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Squid

Ok, I followed your advice and found a way to press out the impeller with a clamp. Once out its obvious why the seal still leaked.

Here are some pics:

I used a 3in pvc pipe coupler to support the engine cover while pressing out the impeller:

I had to cut off about half an inch off the coupler to fit this in my 6" clamp. An 8" clamp would work better. I do not have clamp envy:

Here is the problem. The old impeller shaft is on the left and the one I just took out on the right. The dealer forgot to put in the ceramic ring into the new impeller! Also, the bearing is feeling a bit gritty and gets caught when I try to spin it. Not smooth.

Here is a look at the old vs new impeller. The old one has corroded a bit where the coolant leaked onto it.

Last edited by aamikah; 01-16-2012 at 06:31 PM.