Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

ticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Back Marker

super duper hawk is on a distinguished road
ticking

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this? I have a 99 superhawk with 27,000 miles and I am hearing some ticking nosies from the motor. when pulling in the clutch coming up to stop light I hear some ticking then at idol its not as loud and it only ticks sometimes. when running 10-30w oil it was loud and then I switched to 15-40w and it quited down and then 20-50w ticking sometimes. could it be cct's or valve adjustment needed? any response will help.............
Old 10-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Back Marker

HELP!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:10 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Does the bike have the original Honda CCTs? Do you know when the valve clearance was last checked/adjusted?

CCTs going south sounds more like a rattle than a ticking.

In any case if the original CCTs have 27k miles on them I'd replace them with manual CCTs as soon as possible and see if the sound goes away. And if it was me, I'd try not to ride the bike too much until then.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:55 AM
Back Marker

How aften do you have to adjust the manual cct's ? are the stock cct's better because they are self adjust ? I like the self adjusting ccts in case I for get to adjust the manual ones. I can get stock ccts, do they suck?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:17 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by super duper hawk
How aften do you have to adjust the manual cct's ? are the stock cct's better because they are self adjust ? I like the self adjusting ccts in case I for get to adjust the manual ones. I can get stock ccts, do they suck?
I haven't heard of anybody having to adjust the manuals once they've been set up properly.

Theoretically you could ride the bike far enough that the cam chain would stretch, you'd hear the rattle again, but all you'd need to do is take a few minutes to tighten the manuals a bit.

The manual ones can't "fail", you'd just have to cinch them down on a stretched cam chain.

The OEM ones can and do flat out fail. Usually preceded by the rattle can sound but sometimes not. A number of forum members have ended up with bent valves and a scored piston. I've never heard of a cam chain coming off the sprocket with the manual CCTs.

Some people run with the original CCTs for many tens of thousands of miles with no problem and no rattle but I think it's fair to say that the consensus here is that the OEM CCTs do indeed suck.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:22 AM
Back Marker

Thanks...Does any body out there have a set of new or used ccts for sale or trade for other superhawk parts? please pm me thanks....
Old 10-05-2009, 01:58 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
Maybe this is the same, maybe not. I had a ticking sound early this season. I would hear it sometimes at stoplights and such. Not all the time, like every forth or fifth time I would stop. I knew the cam chain and tensioners were in good shape because I installed Apes about a year before. So I finally decided to stop putting off a valve adjustment and just do it. Ticking went away.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Squid

FlamFlamMan is on a distinguished road
Yeah, you might what to look into adjusting your valve clearance. That sounds like a winner to me. Could be CCT's but they probably would have stopped ticking by now, and your engine would tell you. You should still replace the CCTs anyway.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:23 AM
Back Marker

insider is on a distinguished road
I might be having issues with the CCTs on my VTR as well
I'm not technical at all,so can somebody please tell me
How many parts does the bike have?
i.e.: 2 x cam chains, 2 x cam chains tensioners, etc
and how do I recognize an OEM CCT from a manual one?
any information regarding this matter is welcome
Old 10-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Squid

FlamFlamMan is on a distinguished road
Insider-It is generally accepted on forums that people do a search on the topic before asking questions. I don't really care, but some people on here will start screaming at you (don't take it too personally).

Check out this Page. You'll see how to change the CCTs and it has a picture of manual ones (no pic of OEM). And yes, 2 cam chains and 2 CCTs.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Back Marker

insider is on a distinguished road
Flam, thanks for the info. (also thanks for the heads up regarding the screamers).
I'll be paying a visit today to the mechanic,so I just wanted to get some quick info, I don't have time to map the entire forum.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:37 AM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
i have the same little ticking noise after warm up and at idle at stoplights. I switched from 10w40 honda motorcycle oil to supertech 15w40 universal after searching a bit and it quieted down. I swapped out the ccts just in case w trucks manuals (old ones were still in great shape though,still got em if someone needs them.) I agree that the valves need done. Valves, jetting, high mount cans and a lower fairing are my winter goals.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:40 PM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=20359

Just thought I'd throw this up for ya to take a look at, similar question with an alternate cause to think over.