Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Ticking from rear of bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Squid

mikenap is on a distinguished road
Ticking from rear of bike

I have a ticking noise comming from the rear of the bike. Its comming from one of the two black boxes that sit just in front of the tail light. One is the ECU the other is the ignition control box. I'm not sure which is which but I assume the noise is comming from the ignition box because its sounds like a relay clicking.

Is this normal? Does anyone elses ignition box tick?
Old 06-15-2006, 07:52 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
The flasher relay is just to the right of that box looking from the back, under the cowling. That's the only thing capable of ticking back there.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:52 AM
Squid

Dam! You were supposed to say that’s normal...

Now I'm really confused. If the control unit wasn't so dam expensive I would just try another one. Guess I'll take the back of the bike apart in order to get a closer listen.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:17 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Oh, I forgot, the starter relay is on the left side. That could click too. Also, doe it only happen when you sit on it? Sometimes the seat will contact the cowling when weight is applied and make a click-like sound.

Anyway, if you're not having a problem, why try to fix it?
Old 06-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jschmidt
Oh, I forgot, the starter relay is on the left side. That could click too. Also, doe it only happen when you sit on it? Sometimes the seat will contact the cowling when weight is applied and make a click-like sound.

Anyway, if you're not having a problem, why try to fix it?
That's what I say, any abnormal clicking, shuuu just let it go, hopefully it is nothing important...right....er , um yeah...that aint what daddy taught us....course dad was an idiot, what cha gonna do.....lol
Old 06-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Squid

Seat is off and the ticking seems to be in rhythm with the engine RPM's.

I know it sounds crazy but I've only rode the bike twice this year (just haven't had time). I don't remember having this sound at all in the past.

I'll try and pin point the noise tonight.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:27 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Rear exhaust leak possible too.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superbling
Rear exhaust leak possible too.
so whay would you do about that?? Mine does that too....clicking, ticking ....at least it aint tokking..
Old 06-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Squid

I took the rear cowl off and put the converter unit up to my ear. The ticking is definitely coming from the converter unit. The ticking is always their and increases as the RPM's increase. interestingly enough, it actually sounds worse with the cowl on. Guess the cowl channels the noise.

I took her out for a run, because I was dieing to try out my front fork re-build (correct fork springs and gold valves are an amazing improvement) she seemed OK, I've always had a slight stumble between 3-4K and its still their. Just don't remember hearing the ticking before so its still bugging me. I know a little about electronics. I find it hard to believe their are relays inside that box and I can't think of any solid state devices that can make noise.

Wish I knew someone close that had a SH so I could listen to their converter for comparison.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikenap
I took the rear cowl off and put the converter unit up to my ear. The ticking is definitely coming from the converter unit. The ticking is always their and increases as the RPM's increase. interestingly enough, it actually sounds worse with the cowl on. Guess the cowl channels the noise.

I took her out for a run, because I was dieing to try out my front fork re-build (correct fork springs and gold valves are an amazing improvement) she seemed OK, I've always had a slight stumble between 3-4K and its still their. Just don't remember hearing the ticking before so its still bugging me. I know a little about electronics. I find it hard to believe their are relays inside that box and I can't think of any solid state devices that can make noise.

Wish I knew someone close that had a SH so I could listen to their converter for comparison.
record it and post it....
Old 06-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Squid

Bummer my cameral doesn't record sound.

I'm going to measure the resistance of the "pulse generator". I would also like to check the voltage but In order to the Honda manual says you need a "peak voltage adapter"???? Anybody have one or ever seen one?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Squid

JonnyRocket is on a distinguished road
check for spark jumping from a bad point in the rear coil wire leading from the rear coil to the rear cylinder... a spark jumping from a bad spot in the wire will make a loud click in time with the motor...

is there an aftermarket exhaust equipped?, check for exhaust leak from the rear cylinder...

to make SURE it's coming from one of the black boxes, put a screwdriver up to it and put the end of the screwdriver (NON SHARP END) tightly to your ear.. this should amplify the sound enough for you to find it... this works for anywhere on the motor/frame...
Old 06-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Squid

The ticking is definatley comming from the "converter unit" which sits on top of the ICM. After I removed the rear cowl, I removed the Converter and the ICM from their rubber mounts and held each of them directly to my ear. The converter unit is making the ticking noise.

I barrowed an Ohm meter and will start checking the pulse generator, and coils. I don't have that "peak voltage adapter" honda calls for in order to measure the actual output of the pulse generater so for now I can only check the resistance.