Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Superhawk running fault

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Squid

poshman1 is on a distinguished road
Superhawk running fault

Ive had problems with my Vtr too and im totally stuck what to do with the thing now. My problems first started out with it missfiring occationally and has got worse. It now drops a cylinder when im crusing at speed usually around 80mph. Cant chime it back in with the throttle sometimes drop it a gear or two fires it back up but usually i go off the throttle slow down and then it will cut back in before i grind to a halt. Bike rides fine as much as i can redline line it getting up to speed in lower gears seems to rev up ok and idles alright. This is the list of things ive done and in order

New plugs
Second hand coil packs and leads ( tested before fitting by an auto electrician and he said they were fine)
Both cdi boxs swapped temporarily to try form another storm still dropped a cylinder so put originals back in
Timing and valve clearences checked
Carbs stripped clean and balanced
Ignition pick up module
Breather pipes, tank venting and flow out of tank

Bike had been running fine and this problem seems to just of developed on its own. not rode the bike for 4 months now and not sure what to do next. Going to take it to a rolling road so we can see exactly whats going on i think. pissing me right off an the wallets taking a bashing and im not getting anywhere.
Thanks
Old 01-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
PVLIR? Check the petcock vacuum line does NOT go to the bottom nipple. If that's okay then it might be either clogged petcock strainer (unlikely) or a bad or misadjusted float.