Back Marker

StoneJrW is on a distinguished road
Who do you think is at fault here? {Video}

http://www.break.com/index/stupid_dr...ike_crash.html
Old 06-15-2007, 05:45 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
looks like the car to me. If you watch carefully, the car has no reason to be crossing lanes, as the car in front of it is too far away for him to attempt to pass.

Though, maybe there was some stuff editted out of the video.. Maybe the biker was a dick and was antagonizing the car.. still no reason to knock someone down.. but maybe he did have it coming.. Threatening the driver and they were in fear for their life, and did the only thing they could do to get away...

Ultimately who really knows...
Old 06-15-2007, 09:08 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
The car intentionally moved over to block or hit the bike. We don't know what happened before this to **** the driver off, but it really doesn't matter. That's criminal behavior.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Is it still criminal behavior if the bike rider is threatening the car driver with a gun, and the driver is only protecting themself by using the weapon they have?

Just asking. Cause I believe we dont have all the facts here.. so judgement should be reserved..
Old 06-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Back Marker

StoneJrW is on a distinguished road
Yeah that what I was thinking about not having all the facts.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Back Marker

spdrcr is on a distinguished road

This video is a potential debate bomb. Reguardless of what the bike might have done the car is at fault from an insurance point of view for reckless driving (not checking blind spot before a lane change) or vehicular assault if was on purpose. Criminal charges could follow if it was on purpose From the little bit we can see the bike does not seem to be instigating it, Although he was following a little too close.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:02 PM
SuperBike

ali_squidz is on a distinguished road
that exact thing happened to me. people dont f-ing look.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:20 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Cleveland
Is it still criminal behavior if the bike rider is threatening the car driver with a gun, and the driver is only protecting themself by using the weapon they have?

Just asking. Cause I believe we dont have all the facts here.. so judgement should be reserved..
No, I suppose it's justifiable in a case like that, but if it's just a pissing contest between the driver and the rider, which is most likely the case, then it's criminal.
I agree that we don't have all the facts and judgement should be reserved, but the gun scenario is unlikely unless the moron on the bike likes videotaping his crimes.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Back Marker

spdrcr is on a distinguished road
I had the sort of thing happen to me also. A van merged onto the highway (two lane merge) and almost hit me. He got the point when I kicked his door.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:19 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point

look close just before wreck.
think i saw a turn signal.
bike at fault to close.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:04 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by hawxter996
look close just before wreck.
think i saw a turn signal.
bike at fault to close.
No turn signal and no road to turn into. Too far behind the car ahead to attempt to pass.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
It looked like the driver did it on purpose, but what do I know?
Old 06-17-2007, 06:00 AM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Scooberhawk
It looked like the driver did it on purpose, but what do I know?
I thought the same thing. Would you want to take the video to the police? The motorcylist was speeding and then trying to pass on a double yellow. Did he have a passanger too? Seems like he could have just hit the brakes and avoided the whole thing. What do I know, I wrecked mine a month ago.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Back Marker

cscrawford is on a distinguished road
Pleading ignorance here....when you are at "the back" of a string of cars...all likely getting frustrated with the slow moving vehicle at the front, and ready to dart out to make a pass...legally (I know legal doesn't matter much if you're dead) who is to "go first?" Obviously we could overtake several cars in the time it takes one car to get things moving...but that doesn't register with car drivers. I've been in this guys shoes...usually in a car not a bike, and it is always a little nerve racking. I have a new appreciation for looking for runnoff area after this gut wrenching video.
He/she was probably watering the flowers in the flower vase that comes stock in a the new Beetles.
I also wonder if the pressure to make a cool video influenced the rider to make poor decisions.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
No matter who's at fault. That just wasn't cool. Like some of the other riders, I had a car fade over at me on a six lane highway - for no reason... I'd be interested to see if there were any tickets issued, and who got the fines.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:55 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
That’s a tough call. Both the car and the bike had a dotted line on their side. The red car was passing a car directly in front of it. If you look at the shadows on the road 11 seconds into the video, you’ll see where the car the red one was passing is, very close in my opinion. Still, the red car should have been aware of the rider since he started his pass first.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
I own one, but I swear 90% of car drivers are retarded.....then again, I was in my car on a highly congested stretch of road today and a guy is riding wheelies on his 954rr next to his GF who's right next to him in the same lane on her R6. I swear I kept waiting for him to land one on her. He was wearing the gear and I'm sure as hell it won't be long before he gets to test it out (he had some nice wobbles on a couple of his landings. It's this kind of ***** that gives anyone on a sportbike a bad rap. Go ahead and ride wheelies whenever the hell you feel like it (the guy was admittedly very good at it), just don't do it in bumper to bumper traffic....I don't like putting my kids at risk of an accident because some ******** wants to impress his girlfriend.

In this video, the car driver just stepped up to the *** whipping counter as far as I'm concerned.....the car HAD to know the bike was there....he was right on his ***, not a smart thing, but still.....there's no "I didn't see you" excuse on this one.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:23 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I hate it when car carelesness endangers bikers as much as any of us do. But in this case, the biker was being an idiot. The first rule in biking is be extra defensive in your driving. This guy was doing EVERYTHING wrong. Lots of traffic, following too close, swinging out with no notice (I can't even judge how far he could see around the car) - in general little regard for all the what ifs. I can't tell what the car driver was thinking, but its hard to feel too much for the video except as a "don't drive stupid" advertisement.