General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Superhawk running temperature

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 02:35 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
mine also usually runs in the 170s-180s or so, when ambient temperature is about 70-75 degrees or so, and no stop/go traffic.

in stop/go traffic, mine easily goes to 205 or so, and stays around there. I have not noticed the fans kicking in, but haven't paid much attention anyways.

I think yours is running normal.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Back Marker

mamisano is an unknown quantity at this point
That's about right. Best was when I found a rock jamming my fan. Pulled the rock and forgot to check the fuse, the next day in HEAVY traffic the temps soared WAY above 220... didn't notice until the guage was blinking. Pulled over and swapped out the blown fuse and all was well. Man, I about had a heart attack.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:18 PM
Back Marker

thegreep
Re: Superhawk running temperature

I'm very interested in this topic, I've had my Superhawk up as high as 240! Is there a possibility of additional/different fans, or thermostat that would help this?
Old 10-11-2004, 07:42 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

By chance has anyone ever checked oil temperature ?

These things are hard on mere mortal oils correct ?
Old 12-09-2004, 11:34 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Having left the SuperHawk world for the VFR world for four years and now back, it's so funny to see parallels and this thread is one.

Only new model owners with the digital temp readout are "complaining" about high temps. Us with analog guages aren't. Here in the fall, my fan comes on between 1/4 and 1/2 on the scale. That sure "looks" a lot cooler than seeing 215f or 225f ! Same thing happened in the vfr lists with they switched over in 98.

Also, the side rads aren't as effective (IMO) at very low speeds and need more airflow over them to pull the BTU's effectively.

Doug
Old 12-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Squid

dynamite996
My 2000 Hawk ussually runs at 1/2 to 3/4 on the analog gauge and my fan doesn't kick on untill just before the red
Old 01-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Squid

spacemonkey

in the summer 90deg and up my fan comes on at 215 but temp my temp never has gone higher than 220 in town stop and go when it not hot as hell 210-211 is norm on my bike i don't know if that help ya or not
Old 01-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Squid

spacemonkey

i usually don't worry about my temp my last bike was a harley so no matter what my temp reading is i know that is not even close to what my harley ran i know this cuz my superhawk doesn't roast my bag at a stop light in the summer
Old 01-18-2005, 08:14 AM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

Mamisano makes a good point about the cooling fan and overheating. The day I bought my first VTR, I ran into a bit of afternoon traffic, and the temperature gauge suddenly shot-up past the half-way point (on the pre-2002 temp gauge).

Once I saw that the VTR was overheating--and rather quickly, at that--, I rode along the highway shoulder so I could take an exit ramp and pull into a gas station about 1/2 mile away. I was still new to the world of VTR, so I didn't yet know that listening for cooling fan operation is part of routine riding procedure.

I then checked coolant level and allowed the VTR to cool for about twenty minutes. I was then able to ride backroads to keep the bike moving (and thus cooling sufficiently) until I got back to the dealership--which, by the way, should have checked cooling fan operation before they even sold the used VTR.

They found that a large bug had become lodged in the cooling fan blades and that the fuse had consequently blown. They removed the bug, replaced the fuse, and I was off, cooling fan functioning properly.

I now make it a point to listen regularly for proper cooling fan operation, especially since SuperChicken III does not yet have the '02-and-up instrument cluster that includes a digital temperature gauge.

(Fuses are much less expensive to replace than engines are.)

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR
Old 06-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Back Marker

thegreep

I would like to revisit this topic for a couple minutes, I was just wondering if anyone has successfully mounted a bigger oil cooler, and if so did it make a difference? I was also thinking that a couple small fans on the cooler (maybe CPU fans) might make quite a difference. As another thought I was wondering if there were any fans that would look stylish that could be mounted to the outside of the radiators to help pull through air. Thoughts?
Old 06-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Back Marker

RymerC
I don't think more fans are the answer. Better airflow would probably work better...?
My bike has sat for 15 minutes in traffic after being run hard, and never got much past 1/2 on the gauge. Certainly never anywhere close to 3/4! I need to change emy coolant though, and I'll add some wetter water, just for fun (I think it's supposed to make the bike warm up slightly faster). I'd be willing to bet that even when getting raced, oil temps don't get too bad. Keeping in mind, a synthetic is good to over 230F.

Adding a larger oil cooler would be super easy, just cut the metal lines, flare them and use a nut. Another oil cooler off a similar bike would probably bolt right up to the stock location, given the lines are long enough. I just don't think there's a need until I see some oil temp data.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk

I've though about trying out a coolant additive this summer called WaterWetter.
Anybody else tried this stuff before?

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp ....
Old 06-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah

I used it and when my bike reaches the mark where the fans come on it goes down in temp almost immediatly it doesn't run to much cooler but doesn't seem to heat up as much.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:06 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to think that my hawk might not be getting the propper airflow since it's got sharkskinz on it and no internal directional ducts anymore, but now I've realized that without those directionals, the radiator is still getting air when you are moving, but also, when you're stopped, there is less crap to keep air from getting to your radiator so it was actually a blessing in disguise.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Back Marker

thegreep

I've actually wondered about that too, in fact I concidered running one of the ducts as a cold air intake to the carb Has anyone done that?
Old 06-22-2005, 12:55 AM
Superstock

mikecronis

Did a run to the top of Mt.Evans at almost 14k feet and temp rose to an alarming 225 F but never over that. Bike actually started after parking it on top for an hour. Temp that day was 90+ F. Amazing bike. Very forgiving.

Certainly I should have leaned-out the carbs for such a journey!
Old 06-24-2005, 06:52 AM
Back Marker

thegreep

I sucked out some of the antifreeze-laden fluid last night and added more straight water, and it seems to be cooling a little better now. May be that at my base altitude (4500feet) less antifreeze is needed, can anyone confirm or deny this? I also have some water wetter in it so that could have been too much junk for the amount of water. I'll know better when it's 100F this afternoon in traffic.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:09 AM
Superstock

mikecronis

Wo! It was 90+ in Denver today in stop/go traffic and I got to 237 degrees!!! What's the cutoff again???
Old 06-28-2005, 06:34 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thegreep";p=&quot
I sucked out some of the antifreeze-laden fluid last night and added more straight water, and it seems to be cooling a little better now. May be that at my base altitude (4500feet) less antifreeze is needed, can anyone confirm or deny this? I also have some water wetter in it so that could have been too much junk for the amount of water. I'll know better when it's 100F this afternoon in traffic.
Too much antifreeze might have something to do with it.
Antifreeze has a lower heat capacity than water, meaning it does not absorb and transfer heat as well.
Pure water will transfer heat better than antifreeze.
Antifreeze serves to raise to boil temp (and lower the freezing temp), as well as protecting the internals from corrosion, but it will not make an engine run cooler. In fact, it can make it run hotter.
So, check your coolant mix.
Should be about 50-50.

Changes in altitude will affect boilng point (boiling point drops as you go up in altitude) But, I do not think this would affect you cooling. It might affect it from the standpoint that there is "less air" at higher altitudes, therefore less air moving across the radiator fins to carry away heat. But I doubt if that is the problem. Too may engines perform at high altutudes without problems.

BTW and FWIW, Octane requirements drop as well when you go up in altutude.

Hope you get it all squared away.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:53 AM
Back Marker

thegreep

Originally Posted by mikecronis";p=&quot
Wo! It was 90+ in Denver today in stop/go traffic and I got to 237 degrees!!! What's the cutoff again???
Not that I expect it to make you feel any better, but up here in sunny Salt Lake I have had mine up that high before. I swear altitude must have something to do with it. However, adding more straight water has seemed to help mine. It still regularly gets up into the 2-teen range, but cools off much faster when the fan kicks in, or I get some open road.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Superstock

mikecronis

Hey, TheGreep, you think switching to DexCool or adding RedLine's Water Wetter might be okay?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:37 AM
Back Marker

thegreep

I am running a small amount of water wetter now, it seemed to help a little, but not much.

Quick Reply: Superhawk running temperature