Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Stuck Buckets

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
Stuck Buckets

My bike was making awful valve slap noise and the rear exhaust valves were at .026. I assume I accidentally switched the buckets when I was doing the valves over the winter. Now they are stuck. Really stuck. I tried a heat gun, I tried dry ice (did you know you can freeze oil to an immobile sludge?) I tried magnets and wd40. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to get them out without destroying anything? Do they oil from underneath somewhere where I could get air pressure in there?
Old 03-24-2010, 04:12 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
is it the buckets or the shims that are stuck?

Could you drill small holes and run some safety wire in a U shape through them and pull them out?

I really don't know what might help as I haven't shimmed the valves on my bike myself yet. (though I need to check them, and should just do it rather than pay for it)
Old 03-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
You might try a valve lapping suction cup. Other than that a real strong magnet.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:29 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
worst case is you take it to someone with a tig welder and they weld a screw onto it so you can thread a slide hammer onto it and then hammer the sucker out of there, you would of course need a new bucket but if done right would prevent needing a new head.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Superstock

yeah I've thought of drilling and welding but those buckets are 40 dollars a piece and I'd rather not need to get new ones.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well there is nothing under them except for the valve guide.
The best bet would be find a rare earth magnet (one of the really strong ones) some good penetrating oil, then get the head as hot as you can. If they don't come out then welding is about your only option but the heads might also be damaged at this point.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Back Marker

super duper hawk is on a distinguished road
cow magnet might work.you can get one at any feed store for animals. cow magnet sounds stupid but they have them and they are powerfull.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Superstock

I'm trying to JB weld a bolt to the top at the moment we'll see how that works since it's so smooth
Old 03-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
You mention "doing the valves" in your OP. Do you mean adjusting the valve clearances, or do you mean you did a valve and seat regrind?

Rex
Old 03-25-2010, 01:39 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
If the bucket is stuck, then it is probably wasted anyway. They are precision parts that you do not want to take a chance on failing, or causing a failure on other parts. I would not worry about damaging the bucket further, but I would be concerned about wasting anything else in the process of removing it. If a strong magnet does not work, the welding method is probably the safest. Rough up the surface first to help with the weld. JB weld might work, same thing, rough up the surface first. In any event, I would not reuse that bucket. It would make for an interesting shot-glass. JB
Old 03-25-2010, 05:55 AM
Squid

psyclown is on a distinguished road
I have a rear head in the freebies section with bent exhaust valves. It still has buckets, shims, cams, etc intact. Your more than welcome to it.

BTW I'm an hour and a half north east of you.

Last edited by psyclown; 03-25-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Superstock

The jb weld worked, the buckets are out, there were no shims underneath..... not sure what happened but the buckets are dinged and I will need to replace them.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:07 PM
SuperSport

look inside the bucket for the shim...

they are about the size of a cuff button
Old 03-25-2010, 06:10 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by spladle160
The jb weld worked, the buckets are out, there were no shims underneath..... not sure what happened but the buckets are dinged and I will need to replace them.
You need to find out where the shims went.
Hardened steel shims floating around an engine is an invitation to disaster.
Unless you forgot them in the first place.........

Kai Ju
Old 03-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Superstock

I had it running for probably a total of a half hour so I'm assuming by the lack of catastrophe there not in the motor. There's no way they could have gotten out from under the buckets so I'm assuming that I'm the worlds biggest idiot and didn't put them back in. But yeah I thought of that and ran a magnet everywhere I could reach just in case.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Wrench Bender
Squid

mhaisten is on a distinguished road
Be careful with the magnets. In the airplane world we do not use magnets in engines. If you even slightly magnatize a lifter, then all the tiny ferrus particals in the oil are atracted and cam wear is increased. While I know that the hawks cams are not as critical or expensive, it is just good practice.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:30 PM
SuperSport

I just did my valves, and each shim was stuck to the bottom of the bucket when I lifted it off. I do the valves one at a time so as not to confuse myself (which is pretty easy to do). I use an xls to calculate shim sizes:

Name:  Vlavesxlsimage.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  160.5 KB
Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Superstock

I agree mhaisten but I'm pretty sure the manual recommends magnets and they have to be a lot better that the jb weld I ended up using. I cant believe the stuff stuck to those polished surfaces. I just cleaned with a bit of alcohol and liberally applied jb quick and a bolt. If the buckets weren't slightly scratched and mushroomed from valve slap I could still use them the jb comes right off with heat.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Superstock

They're not stuck to the bottom of the lifters, that's where I looked second. I'm also very disorganized but usually just lay the parts out in order. I use an online shim calculator and or calipers. By the way I'm sure you didn't do it in real life but you have your valve clearance specs backwards for your rear cylinder.

Last edited by spladle160; 03-26-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:45 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Holy crap!! You gotta stop getting stoned before you work on your bike!

Even if you did forget the shims, you should ALWAYS check the clearance after installation.

I guess I don't need to say any more. Check your lifter bores before you go buying new lifters.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:25 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by RCVTR
Holy crap!! You gotta stop getting stoned before you work on your bike!
That's it!
Old 03-28-2010, 02:52 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
+1 on mhaisten's advise.
The manual may say to use a magnet, but what works even better, without magnetizing the bucket, is a valve lapping tool with a suction cup.
What works in a pinch is a socket slightly smaller than the bucket.
Use the ratchet side, lightly coat with oil and stick it to the bucket. The oil film will make the bucket stick to the socket and you can lift it out. Make sure it's clean before you use it. If it takes more force than that you got a problem with either the bucket or the head.

Kai Ju
Old 03-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Superstock

I swear I checked the valves after I adjusted the shims, the worst part is according to my notes those valves were never out. I don't think a valve lapping tool or oiled socket would have gotten them out since they were as the thread states STUCK, as in huge clearance due to no shims and being beaten by the cam. Luckily psyclown is a great guy and had a head with 4 bent valves that he let me have. I took the buckets from that got the right shims and now she runs great. As for being stoned, not my style. working while far to tired is more likely and I suspect at least as dangerous.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Squid

psyclown is on a distinguished road
Glad you got it running good now. Thanks for the 900rr calipers. I love this community!
Old 03-28-2010, 06:38 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by spladle160
I swear I checked the valves after I adjusted the shims, the worst part is according to my notes those valves were never out. I don't think a valve lapping tool or oiled socket would have gotten them out since they were as the thread states STUCK, as in huge clearance due to no shims and being beaten by the cam. Luckily psyclown is a great guy and had a head with 4 bent valves that he let me have. I took the buckets from that got the right shims and now she runs great. As for being stoned, not my style. working while far to tired is more likely and I suspect at least as dangerous.
It sounds like you may have been in a rush to get the job done. Perhaps because the wife resents the bike and you had a short window to work in?

I force myself to walk away, if I'm in a rush. I'll come back to it when I don't have to be. The big exception to that was rushing to get ready for a track day and a short distraction. It was a very costly error - you got off easy!

I suggest leaving the job incomplete, if you are rushing it. Come back the next day and check your work, before you button it up.

I'm glad it all worked out for you.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Superstock

Jealous girlfriend not wife (and my female dog, she's super jealous of the hawk) but truthfully it's mainly my own desire to have it down for as little time as possible. I think your right about leaving it un buttoned and looking over it later, I can't tell you how often that would help.