General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Seat is stuck! with my tools under! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
Seat is stuck! with my tools under! HELP!

me again...

well, i went to a sporting goods store, stuffs a bunch of stuff underneath the seat. it was reluctant to close, but finally did and i went home. well, now i cant get the seat lock open. lock turns normally, and i was able to pull the stuff out of underneath the seat through that gap, so nothin isin the way.

i cracked my seat tail plastic trying to get it off, kicked the seat, done everything....nothin. its stuck on the lock in back, not those 2 J-shaped latches . the cable seems to be engaging the lock, i think it just locked in a funky position .

i dont want to hole-saw the seat and buy a sargent , so does anyone know any houdini tricks? thank
Old 05-04-2006, 10:56 PM
SuperSport

Loco
I generally have similar troubles with my stock seat. To get it off effectively I usually push down on the middle of the seat while the lock is turned and then pull straight back on the seat. It helps to have 3 hands for this, but you should get the hang of it eventually.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:25 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
well, ive had the bike over a year now, i got it down.. but its too coincidental that i stuffed a bunch of stuff in the and now its doin it. hope its not broke. usually comes off with no problem at ALL
Old 05-05-2006, 07:37 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Re: Seat is stuck! with my tools under! HELP!

Crow bar! (ak.a. pry bar, nail puller, ...)...just kidding.

Not sure what to recommend but good luck

Mikstr
Old 05-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Squid

Carnage

You said you got the stuff out of under the seat so I'm assuming it's opened enough to look and see what it's caught on and to get a hand in there. Try manually reaching in there and unlocking it. I know the hawks seat is harder to get off then most others but it's not impossible.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
lolol . well see. ill try to see if somethinis stuck in there. theres a allen bolt right underneath the tail, but i figured that was someting else. was hoping for a trap doorway! lol .
Old 05-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
UPDATE :

well, with an extra hand to pry seat open i found the problem. the lock cable is attached in 2 different spots to maintain tension: RIGHT behind the lower left corner of the taillight, and right where the lock latch is in middle of seat.

just a heads up, when you stuff things underneath your seat, be carefull not to hit the white plastic bushings holding the cable into their mounting bracket.. they pop out easily, and when they do..... well, no cable tension and no seat comin off.
i just JB welded mine to bracket. you can tell when its the cable bushing undone when ou turn the key to unlock and it hesitates mid-turn. thats the bushing popping out. just for a heads up guys. i musta knocked it out stuffing my turkey hunting stuff i just bought and smashed under the seat to take home.

just for an FYI , i broke the whole brass square locking latch off my seat.... now i gotta get a sargent with red trim and in the mean time watch my seat-o-the-pants testing
Old 05-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me make sure I understand this correctly:

Don't choke your Super Chicken by shoving Turkey hunting tools in it's
rear end or it will lossen the white plastic Giblits.

If you do...get a friend to shove their hand up under your chicken's rear end, feel for the white giblits and push them back in.

When you are done...use JB weld so you can't choke your chicken again.

Got it.....Thanks
Old 05-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
paradise,

hah. i dont know how long that took for you to compile, but it made me smile! have a good one.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Back Marker

supertwinSH is an unknown quantity at this point

BirdofParadise

I was laughing so hard my wife just came around the corner to see what was so funny. She is laughing hard now!
That was a great one! IT would take a day or two for me to put something together like that.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Squid

VTRBandit is on a distinguished road
I hate to have to revive a topic from the dead, but this was the closest thing I could find to my current issue! I had just put the bike back together (kinda half assedly) just to snap a few pics before I have to tear her down again. Anyways, I didnt reattach the seat locking cable, and had just placed the seat over the fairing to get some pics. Well my drunk roomate and his friends come home and someone sits on the SHawk and locks the seat into place!! Now its on there good, and no chance of unlocking it with a key! Is there anyone out there that knows how to get this thing off without breaking all the attachment hardware?? Thanks!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yeah, what you need to do is get a long screwdriver and put tension on the cable (or even try to get the plastic grommet back in place) so that it will unlatch the seat. Then pull up on the seat. This may take two people, or even a third with one holding the flashlight. I had it happen twice.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Squid

L-man is on a distinguished road

For a couple of months I had great difficulty getting my seat off and also getting it to lock again. Problem was the black plastic wrap on part of the locking -?- steel hoop that the lock secures too. After trimming off the frayed plastic it works fine now. My 2 Cent's.
L-man out ~
Old 02-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Squid

VTRBandit is on a distinguished road
OK I feel like a tard, but I finally got it. Rearranged my seat probably as much as possible without fully breaking it, but I was able to undo the tank, then undo the front latch, then be able to get the rear fairing off. Saw where the line was "supposed" to hook up, but apparently I couldnt figure out the locking mechanism until I stabbed it with a screwdriver. Finally got the seat off! Thats never gonna happen again, hopefully.

Thanks for all you guys giving me tips! Much appreciated!