Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

ECU questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 09:48 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
ECU questions

Which of the two black boxes located in the rear tail section is the ECU? What is the function of the other box? Finally, I was looking at relocating these two boxes in the battery bay, using up the space liberated by the (much more compact) Turn Tech battery I bought. Any issues with doing so? (ie. heat,...)

cheers
Old 03-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mikstr
Which of the two black boxes located in the rear tail section is the ECU? What is the function of the other box? Finally, I was looking at relocating these two boxes in the battery bay, using up the space liberated by the (much more compact) Turn Tech battery I bought. Any issues with doing so? (ie. heat,...)

cheers
The lower box is the ECU (the one that plugs into the side of the box) the other one is the "converter" module but I'm not really sure what it converts.....
Old 03-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Squid
Squid

franz125 is on a distinguished road
Converts low voltage from ECU to high voltage(100V minimum)
Old 03-28-2010, 06:45 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, it takes the ignition signal pulse from the ECU and supplies the low side of the spark voltage to the coils.

the ECU has the big connector with all the signal wires. It takes the throttle position, rpm and crank timing signal and calculates the ignition timing.

Mikstr, I did the same thing with my RC. There should not be any heat issues. The converter and ECU are potted in epoxy and have no external heat sink, so I think it should be ok. REG/REC is another story.

Hey Franz,
I've been to Estonia. Landed in Talinn and drove to Narva to work at the big power plant there. Cool place! Narva is very Russian. I didn't get to spend much time in Tallinn. It seems like a nice place, and maybe a bit more Estonian.

Last edited by RCVTR; 03-28-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:28 PM
MotoGP

thanks Randy
Old 03-28-2010, 07:32 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I'm likely to need a new battery this year so I'll be watching for your results. When you get the ECU moved upload some pics. Also give us a review of the Turntech when you get a chance - thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 06:06 AM
MotoGP

Update: I completed the install of the battery late last evening (after family duties were done). Good news: the new battery, ECU and converter all fit perfectly in the battery cavity (after I removed the rubber holding sleeves on the two black boxes). I had to split the tape/cover for the wiring harness to move the two black boxes forward (and re-taped everything afterwards of course), and I also had to move the relay (with main fuse; located behind left sidecover)) forward by around an inch (for the connector cable to reach) but it all fits in there like it was designed to by the factory. I`ll take pics shortly but it is all very tidy and clean. There is a slight gap (less than 1/2") between the edcge of the battery and inside of the box at the front so I stuffed a rag in there and everything is super snug. I had to cut the battery box lid as no longer closes but no big deal as I taped over everything and no moisture or dirt gets in there anyhow.

End result: 6 lbs less weight and better centralization by moving the two boxes away from high up at the back to what is essentially the center of mass of the bike. Again, small changes but they all add up (and there is no downside to doing so).

cheers

P.S. They are calling for good weather this coming weekend so I will lkely fire the ol' girl up

Last edited by mikstr; 03-29-2010 at 06:09 AM.