Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

strange running problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Back Marker

timdske is on a distinguished road
strange running problem

I have an '03 hawk w/ 13k and tonight after fueling the bike started running
on 1 cyl. then die at a stop. I limped the bike home about 3 miles, during this time I would feel the other cyl kick in, but only briefly. It sounded like a thumper on crack!!! By the time I got home it started idleing, but would backfire terribly. I checked the spark plugs, not fouled. No indication of flooding. I put the bike back together and now it seems to be running great. I don't think I over filled it. I put some seafoam in the gas thinking I had a vat of bad gas. What do you all think???
Old 06-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I think you did fill it a bit too much, or wheelied or stoppied soon after the fill-up. You had what's called vacuum lock, where fuel gets into the tank vent and then as fuel is used a vacuum is drawn in the tank. Since the vent line has fuel in it air cannot get into the tank. The vacuum prevents fuel from flowing to the carbs. Next time it happens, pull over, open and shut the filler cap, then be on your way. Shouldn't happen twice in a row.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I think you did fill it a bit too much, or wheelied or stoppied soon after the fill-up. You had what's called vacuum lock, where fuel gets into the tank vent and then as fuel is used a vacuum is drawn in the tank. Since the vent line has fuel in it air cannot get into the tank. The vacuum prevents fuel from flowing to the carbs. Next time it happens, pull over, open and shut the filler cap, then be on your way. Shouldn't happen twice in a row.
Thank you.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Squid

VTR Time-Travel is on a distinguished road
I have been reading all the treads, and your replies, I am curious how you know soo much about the SH. I bought my SH knowing nothing about the bike, but it seemed like a great buy. It was a salvage on ebay. A 1998 with 2,800 miles on it. It took me several month to get all the parts replaced, have it inspected for title and than to license it. While going though the process I have learned so much about the bike from reading the posts and other articles on the web. Now that I have had it on the road for a week, I can see why riders are so jazzed up about these bikes. The damage on the bike was mostly plastics, but I think I received quite an education by reading when I couldn't ride. So thanks
Old 06-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Because I am THE MAN! Don't question my authority, son!

Just kidding! I've been on some form of Superhawk email list or forum since 1998 when I first got the bike. I've read a LOT of information about it, people's experiences, and my bike has never been to the dealer since I rode it off the lot. I'm a Navy mechanic by trade (nuclear) so I think I have somewhat of a clue when it comes to things mechanical. I don't think I've ever steered anyone wrong here and if I don't know the answer I've no problem saying so.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Back Marker

cscrawford is on a distinguished road
10-4 on the knowledge. You guys are a Godsend.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:24 AM
Back Marker

Because I am THE MAN! Don't question my authority son!

You da man!!!!!