Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

problem running and at idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Squid

snakeman34 is on a distinguished road
problem running and at idle

I am looking after a superhawk and want to buy it. but the before me that owned it had taken it to a track day at a local track. the track was a small track you never got in the high side of second gear. but he was on the back straight away and he went to slow down and a bubble in his brake so long story short he put it down messed up the plastic and some other parts. the engine wasn't hurt from the race track it was loaded in a truck and hauled back to the garage and worked on everything but the plastic has been fixed. but it hasn't ran right ever since the front cyclinder isn't hiting all the time. it has spark and compression. but it sat for most of the winter. i think with staybil in it.
I don't know what is wrong with it. have had the carb out and clean out main jets a little and have spayed it with carb cleaner. It is drive able and will do 100 mph alright but the front cyclinder won't alway hit the front exhaust pipe is just a little cooler than the rear pipe.
also when riding it you can start out alright you give it gas and when the engine hit about 5grand on the tach it wants to pick the front end and just take off and go.
I don't know what is wrong with it. could the tuning of the carbs be off. or just that is it plugged a bit. I would ride it alot more but the tags are out of date to riding it out of it system is out the question.
what could be wrong with it. could the rod in the middle of the carb be bent a bit maybe
Old 03-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
Sounds like a fouling plug.

How long do you choke it when starting it up?
How old are the plugs?
It could be a plug wire of a coil also.
I doubt it's the ignition box since you say it's making a good spark.

If the carb is too rich, that will foul the plug also. I would start with the simple things like a new plug first.
Maybe check the carb balance. That would tell if there is something going on with the front carb.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Squid

the plugs are good they have been pulled out and inspected and gap is good
i had the air box off and sprayed it with carb cleaner and started it up and it ran but it would spit out of the carb that is one sign of it being lean so
Old 03-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
If the needle is bent that would be a problem since that is what meters the main jet. If it hangs, you would be running on the mid jet till the main finally opens.
That could explain a huge hit of power in the upper RPM's. The slide might be hanging till there is enough vacume to open it.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Squid

i don't think the needle is bent i didn't know if a hard hit to the ground would bend it or not. when we had the air box off we had it running an the rear slide liked to more alot more or wobble back and forth more. the front slide move good there wasn't much difference between the two.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I think if it doesn't want to idle then you're looking at a clogged idle jet/emulsion tube. These have tiny holes in them that are easily clogged. The main jet is the largest jet so it's unlikely it will get clogged. Pull the carbs again and do a thorough cleaning this time.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:47 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I agree with greg. Mine just recently were clogged despite running stabile through at seasons end. I had sprayed the carb as well but it required removing them for inspection so be sure to do that. both mine were clogged but I imagine if one was clogged it might give you those symptoms. Obviously be sure the slides work easily both front and rear - could have a torn diaphragm in the front - you should be able to tell by the resistant and drop after lifting the slide and comparing front to back.

bill
Old 03-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Squid

thanks i will go do that soon
Old 03-26-2007, 11:49 AM
SuperSport

Loco
If one cylinder is consistently outperforming another, you can pretty much rule out anything above the carbs (unless your air stack tube is broken, but you would have seen that I'd think).

That leaves maybe 4 culprits:

1) Engine/Cylinder damage - ranging from a tweaked V, as in cylinder angle (pray its not that) to a cam chain jumping a tooth.
2) Carb damage, including the fuel line that feeds the bowl.
3) Exhaust header damage
4) Spark plug coil damage/electrical transmission cabling.

How can you be certain that the cylinder has good compression at all ranges?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:46 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Yeah check those slow jets, also check for vacuum leaks and all tubing for proper connections.