Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Steering head bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
Steering head bearings

I've been noticing this ticking sound from the front of my bike. I've checked for "notchiness" by moving the bars from side to side with the front of the bike lifted. I also moved the front wheel back and forth checking for looseness but there is none. I can hear/feel the ticking sound or knock when I'm sitting on the bike with the front brake applied and compressing the fork. I had the forks off yesterday fixing a seal and installing different springs and the noise is more pronounced which I attribute to me having to apply more force to compress the stiffer springs.
I'm hoping it isn't the bearings but I wouldn't be surprised since the previous owner liked to use it as a wheelie machine. The bike has about 22k on the odometer.

What do ya'll think?
Old 06-18-2007, 07:41 AM
SuperBike

ali_squidz is on a distinguished road
I have that also. It's either the head bearing or the nut isnt tight enough.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Check the free play between your rotors and their carriers. After some hard miles and lots of braking they will develop some play. It's not easy to find (took me weeks) and you really have to grab ahold of the rotors and give them a good twist back and forth. Do you get the same noise if you put the bike against a wall and compress the forks (without using the brake obviously)?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Back Marker

cscrawford is on a distinguished road
So how do you lift the front of the bike? I also need to check my steering bearings. I nailed together stacks of 2x4's to lift my 86 Gixxer from the frame-under the engine and prefer a method other than Jerry's Rig. I know stands can lift front...rear, or both, but not sure how to best lift the center with the front off the ground.