Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Newb - Steering Head Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 08:06 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
Newb - Steering Head Bearings

Hi, just bought an 02 with 2K miles on it. Upgraded from my 90 VFR with 70K.

If I take my hands off the bars, they start a slight waggle. Looks like we get ball steering head bearings, just like the VFR. I remember having the same problem with the VFR that dissapeared after I switched to tapered rollers.

Anyone have the same problem.
TIA.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Back Marker

W-O-T
Re: Newb - Steering Head Bearings

WELCOME!

The notorious 'headshake'.... I just got my SH 3 weeks ago and had this issue.

I got some great relpies back from the members here... here is a brief history.....

I first went thru the the hand numbing stage with frustration... suspension was set up WAY TOO HARD. So I set it up with 3 lines showing on the preload adjusters and one turn in on the front dampers and .5 turn up on the rear shock and 3rd notch on the preload.

This made a world of different with my 175 lbs on the bike, but the headshake was still there. I then started looking into the Scotts steering Damper at $400 and change... thinking this would solve it... but money was a big issue at the time and thought I had to live with it for a time until I got really close down and inspected my front tire ( not too worn at first glance). I notice a considerable amount of cupping and thought (from prior experience) that this would contribute to the headshake.... I was right... I bought a new front tire and I have zero head shake now...

BTW... I run Dunlop 208's

I hope this helps you out some... it did for me being I commute 150 miles a day and it was KILLING me.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey

With the VFR, it was a "chicken or the egg" thing. Does the shake cause the cupping, or does the cupping cause the shake. Every front I put on it cupped to some degree, but after I changed to tapered roller bearings, I never got the shake again.

150 mile commute. Damn.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:21 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip

I don't get head shake unless I'm really on it and the road is bumpy. I did get notched bearings after about 30K and a long cross contry trip. I put the tapered bearings in.

For that long ride I put on some Givi luggage, including a top box. The extra weight in the back created some shake, so I lowered the triple clamps 5mm and solved the problem. Steering dampers are attractive, but way to expensive IMHO.