Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Is it possible for CCT's to fail and lock a motor down with....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Back Marker

BiggDaddyKool is on a distinguished road
Is it possible for CCT's to fail and lock a motor down with....

no other motor damage??? I am asking because I just had a lock down and want to know if I should just buy a new motor or try to look at my CCT's and see if I can replace the chain assy and be good to go. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks ,

Chris.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Squid

khanawalt is on a distinguished road
From what I've read here, you may be able to salvage the engine, but you'll be replacing valves and possibly the piston, depending on the extent of damage. I think if it locked up, it's safe to say something's bent at least.

I have a set of APE manual tensioners that I have not installed yet, but your story is starting to make me nervous about running stock CCTs. How did yours sound before it failed? Some guys aren't that concerned because they believe it'll start making noise to warn them of impending trouble before it fails catasrophically.

Originally Posted by BiggDaddyKool
no other motor damage??? I am asking because I just had a lock down and want to know if I should just buy a new motor or try to look at my CCT's and see if I can replace the chain assy and be good to go. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks ,

Chris.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by khanawalt
How did yours sound before it failed? Some guys aren't that concerned because they believe it'll start making noise to warn them of impending trouble before it fails catasrophically.
Mine ran flawlessly the night before it locked up while we were on a 5 1/2 hour ride. I started it the next day after checking the oil and let it warm up, as usual, almost to the first mark on the gauge. It sounded perfect. I put my helmet on and rode out my driveway and down the highway at apprx. 45 mph for about a 1/4 mile. All was fine until ALL OF A SUDDEN I hear what sounds like a rock rattling in the engine. I turn around, knowing this cant be a good sound and ride straight back to my garage door. I pulled up to the door to open it and the motor shut down. I pushed it inside and tried to restart it but it only clicked as if the battery was dead I pull the oil fill cap off so I could see if the engine was turning and put it in high gear then pulled in the clutch and pushed the bike and popped the clutch but the motor didnt turn. Locked up.
Long story short NO WARNING AT ALL. Also not 100% Sure its CCT's but I will be sure to let everyone here know as soon as I find out for sure.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:55 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Mine ran flawlessly the night before it locked up while we were on a 5 1/2 hour ride. I started it the next day after checking the oil and let it warm up, as usual, almost to the first mark on the gauge. It sounded perfect. I put my helmet on and rode out my driveway and down the highway at apprx. 45 mph for about a 1/4 mile. All was fine until ALL OF A SUDDEN I hear what sounds like a rock rattling in the engine. I turn around, knowing this cant be a good sound and ride straight back to my garage door. I pulled up to the door to open it and the motor shut down. I pushed it inside and tried to restart it but it only clicked as if the battery was dead I pull the oil fill cap off so I could see if the engine was turning and put it in high gear then pulled in the clutch and pushed the bike and popped the clutch but the motor didnt turn. Locked up.
Long story short NO WARNING AT ALL. Also not 100% Sure its CCT's but I will be sure to let everyone here know as soon as I find out for sure.
What year and how many miles...

Lets just say .. If you were to change a few words in the above post.. It would be the typical aftermath story of failed CCT's
Old 05-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Oh, and to your question.. No, if the CT's failed in the way you describe.. At the very least you'll find bent valves.. If you lock out, that’s all you'll find. though if the 2 piece OEM valve came apart, or simply hit the piston hard enough it could be pistons, head, and cylinder damage too.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken
What year and how many miles...

Lets just say .. If you were to change a few words in the above post.. It would be the typical aftermath story of failed CCT's
Its a 98 with a llittle over 21K miles..... sounds like Im gonna have some engine components for sale very soon
Old 05-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken
Oh, and to your question.. No, if the CT's failed in the way you describe.. At the very least you'll find bent valves.. If you lock out, that’s all you'll find. though if the 2 piece OEM valve came apart, or simply hit the piston hard enough it could be pistons, head, and cylinder damage too.
Thanks for the info. Im just going to swap it out to be 'safe' and take the old motor down to cure my curiousity then sell the good parts cheap on this forum to thank all the guys (and gals Im sure) for the help Ive received in such a short time.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Back Marker

Well I took the valve covers off tonight and the timing chain on the front cylinder is VERY loose. So I guess I am a victim of the evil CCT failure....
Old 05-15-2007, 07:55 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
A leakdown test would tell if the valves are bent.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:31 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Wheww, I had my original 98 CCT replaced under warranty with the later Honda version and then just this past week i replaced those CCT with my APE CCT.

I hope i don't have them adjusted too tight.

I set them at finger tight minus 1/2 turn while the engine is was cold.

I then rode 250 miles this past Sunday and all seems fine. The engine sure is still quite.

Fingers crossed!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Squid

beesfan is on a distinguished road
Before you go out and buy a new engine or think about pistons and valve damage, my 98 firestorm had a cct fail and all the symptoms you describe, all i needed to replace was the cct itself, if you're lucky you might not have had any major damage to any of the parts in the engine.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:23 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

a good indicator is the loudness of the "klunk" but do a leakdown test, bent valves don't seal and will let air escape trough the exhaust. Or just put pressure in the cylinder on TDC/fire stroke and listen. At idle, I bet bent valves but ok piston (marked for sure).
A valve job ain't too bad. If a valve snapped off and got chewed by the engine well different thing.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Squid

Babelfish is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gboezio
a good indicator is the loudness of the "klunk" but do a leakdown test, bent valves don't seal and will let air escape trough the exhaust. Or just put pressure in the cylinder on TDC/fire stroke and listen. At idle, I bet bent valves but ok piston (marked for sure).
A valve job ain't too bad. If a valve snapped off and got chewed by the engine well different thing.
Another easy way to check for bendt valves are actually gasoline. That is if the head is allready off. You pour some gasoline in too the exhaust/intake port and wait a few seconds. A healthy valve will keep tight, a bendt one will not, and you will see moist spreading on the other side. BTDT.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by beesfan
Before you go out and buy a new engine or think about pistons and valve damage, my 98 firestorm had a cct fail and all the symptoms you describe, all i needed to replace was the cct itself, if you're lucky you might not have had any major damage to any of the parts in the engine.
I already bought a new engine (an 04 with less than 5k miles on it) Im going to check the old power plant out really good though. I may have a good engine for sale very reasonable. Since the lock down was at idle I assume, yes I said assume there was very minimal damage to the internals, if any. *fingers crossed*

Thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate it
Old 05-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Back Marker

Here is what my CCT looks like from my bad cylinder...
Old 05-19-2007, 05:52 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Damn, blurry CCT's are known to fail,
jk
Well I hope you'll get this running in no time.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by gboezio
Damn, blurry CCT's are known to fail,
jk
Well I hope you'll get this running in no time.
Camera phone man LOL
Old 05-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
That should be longer!
Old 05-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Squid

khanawalt is on a distinguished road
A kind woman....

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
That should be longer!
A man, if married to a kind woman, will never hear that.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by khanawalt
A man, if married to a kind woman, will never hear that.
your right.... never heard that before..... thought it.... but never heard it LOL
Old 05-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Back Marker

GOOD LORD !!!!!! I wish I had read up on the clutch bleeding hassle on these bikes before I took the slave cylinder off thinking I would just bleed it like normal .....(what was I thinking????)
Old 05-21-2007, 03:25 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

GOOD LORD !!!!!! I wish I had read up on the clutch bleeding hassle on these bikes before I took the slave cylinder off thinking I would just bleed it like normal .....(what was I thinking????)
It's not nerly as hard as it sounds.. But it does take more then "just bleeding" by way of the fitting. Correct angle of the master is required, or you will never get the trapped air out (same as brake master) I find leaning the bike to the right helps with getting trapped air out of the clutch slave.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Back Marker

used a maunal vacuum pump to pull \most of the air out then just bled it as usual. Now have perfect clutch.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Back Marker

well I finally tore mine down today and the only internal damage that was done was both exhaust valves were bent. You cant even see a mark on the piston. So I have a good set of heads for sale LOL
Old 06-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Squid

Pookbe is on a distinguished road
After reading all this talk about CCT's, should they be replaced at a certain time or when they fail is as good as any time? I have about 35,000 kms on my bike. I bought it used, he was the second owner and never did anything to it except oil changes and tires. I am not sure if they would have been done before based on mileage or if I can be expecting a treat soon.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Pookbe
After reading all this talk about CCT's, should they be replaced at a certain time or when they fail is as good as any time? I have about 35,000 kms on my bike. I bought it used, he was the second owner and never did anything to it except oil changes and tires. I am not sure if they would have been done before based on mileage or if I can be expecting a treat soon.
All I know is you cant wait til they go bad. Once they go bad you have MAJOR trouble. I had to replace my engine. Most people on here replace the stock CCT's with manual APE tensioners which is what I plan to do. It takes all the guesswork and worry of them failing away.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Back Marker

iamanonymous is on a distinguished road
i just changed to the ape's today and my ccts "look" perfect. is there a way to test them? would anyone be interested in them second hand?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by iamanonymous
i just changed to the ape's today and my ccts "look" perfect. is there a way to test them? would anyone be interested in them second hand?
I dont know about testing them. Where did you get your APEs and how much were they if you dont mind my asking?
Old 06-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Squid

Pookbe is on a distinguished road
All I know is you cant wait til they go bad. Once they go bad you have MAJOR trouble. I had to replace my engine. Most people on here replace the stock CCT's with manual APE tensioners which is what I plan to do. It takes all the guesswork and worry of them failing away.
Where and how much are "Ape" chain hangers????
Old 06-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Squid

duran is on a distinguished road
ugh, I hear a regular noise from my bike right now, 1998, 23000+ miles... I just ordered a new chain, cause I need it, now I'm worried the CCT is about to die and kill my bike.

I've got to get it in to the shop... ugh.