Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Plate lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Squid

chiefpiecepipe is on a distinguished road
Plate lights

Hey guys. Kinda new here. Been trolling for a while, but now I need all your vast knowledge to help me out. I have a 98 'hawk that I bought used from a dealer. The person who traded it in killed the tail end by chopping off everything. Can't even bolt the plate on correctly. There is an LED installed but in order to pass inspection I need plate lights. I bought the light and bolt combo stuff (don't know if it's any good or not) but the wiring is so screwy that I can't follow any diagrams I've found. Anyone have any idea how to wire in the bolt lights? There are wires that don't lead anywhere and I'm at a complete loss. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
When I chopped my rear fender I took a dremal and cut out the flat semi-circle area on the bottom of my tail/brake light and clear RTV'd in a clear piece of plactic from a CD case.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:49 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
platelight

hey chief, try to post a pic so we can see what you're dealing with. too many options depending on what is left. one is, get the dealer to inspect it.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
I use the nut and bolt combo lights for my Lic plate.. It's a simple two wire, hot and ground.

Wiring to the rear tail light / signals....

Red Bolt/light wire to the Brown with Grey trace, and black Bolt/light wire to the green wire.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
I did something similar to fish, I drilled two holes in the bottom of the taillight, and glued a piece of plexi in. Very simple and lights the plate fine too.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:54 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken
I use the nut and bolt combo lights for my Lic plate.. It's a simple two wire, hot and ground.

Red Bolt/light wire to the Brown with Grey trace, and black Bolt/light wire to the green wire.
I use the same setup. They say it has to be lighted just not how much lighted. I use one bolt light right above the plate and leave it at that. I use reflector/bolts to hold the plate down and the light is centered above the plate. Low key, dimly visible, bright signals and running lights around it. Idea is that I don't want to get hit from the back but don't want to be necessarily identifiable.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Squid

chiefpiecepipe is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken

This is the post that helped. Thanks a ton. The setup I got had three wires, red, white, and black. It was a 180 degree running, (the red wire) and 90 degree plate light (the white one). All I needed to do was connect the white one instead of the red one, and it was good to go. Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:20 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fish
When I chopped my rear fender I took a dremal and cut out the flat semi-circle area on the bottom of my tail/brake light and clear RTV'd in a clear piece of plactic from a CD case.
+1 on what Fish said. Only I used plastic from a drop-in ceiling light lens.