Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:21 PM
BeautyHawk
Squid

kshuck2 is on a distinguished road
flooding?

Hey everyone,

upgraded from a nighthawk to superhawk April, 2008
its an absolutely gorgeous '01 in show condition...

I am having issues with what seems to be flooding of the carbs. I'll go for a ride and if i stop somewhere for a little while, and try to leave a few minutes later it has some issues staying running unless i "clean-it-out" (wide open throttle) then it runs fine.
its getting embarrassing having my bike die a couple times then redline it just to be on my way again.

heres some more info on the bike...
I run 89 octane E-10 unleaded
ran seafoam through the tank when i first got it
it has high-mount jardine exhaust
stock air box/filter
stock jets

I have never had problems with running e10 in a bike ('74 honda 250 still runs on it)
I guess i was wondering if i need a jet kit or if it would even solve the problem

any ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Old 07-11-2008, 08:56 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
What's the engine speed at idle?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:21 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I personally would never run 10% ethanol, which is not even available where I live, but just the same I wouldn't use it. Too much alcohol.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I personally would never run 10% ethanol, which is not even available where I live, but just the same I wouldn't use it. Too much alcohol.

i Wonder if your vaccum operated petcock is stuck open and flooding the carb bowls while it sits there sounds like a good place to start ....and chk that your fuel enrichment valve linkage is not pulled causing a choke action even when the **** is not pulled out
Old 07-12-2008, 01:57 AM
Squid

s4steve is on a distinguished road
A passing fuel **** would not in itself cause carb flooding. The level of fuel in the carb float bowl is controlled by the float needle valve in each carb. If the needle valve was passing then your carb would flood, but you would notice that because eventually your bike would be sat in a puddle of fuel.
Are you using 89 octane fuel or was that a typo and should have been 98?
I have used 91 octane in mine and it splutters and farts like a granny on boxing day!
Run the tank low (or better still MT), drain the float bowls and fill with 98 octane unleaded and note what effect this has. let us know how it goes.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:00 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by s4steve
Are you using 89 octane fuel or was that a typo and should have been 98?
I have used 91 octane in mine and it splutters and farts like a granny on boxing day!
Run the tank low (or better still MT), drain the float bowls and fill with 98 octane unleaded and note what effect this has. let us know how it goes.
98, where would someone even get 98? Most gas stations here on the east coast don't go above 93 or maybe 94. And IIRC most of the country is about the same if not lower.

89 is fine for these bikes, I've tried everything from 85 to 93 and 89 works best for me.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:10 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Big upgrade from a Nighthawk to a Superhawk isn't it? I had a '92 750 prior to the '02 Superhawk...

A worn needle and seat in one of the carbs or even some dirt stuck in there preventing a good seal could cause this.

Originally Posted by kshuck2
Hey everyone,

upgraded from a nighthawk to superhawk April, 2008
its an absolutely gorgeous '01 in show condition...

I am having issues with what seems to be flooding of the carbs. I'll go for a ride and if i stop somewhere for a little while, and try to leave a few minutes later it has some issues staying running unless i "clean-it-out" (wide open throttle) then it runs fine.
its getting embarrassing having my bike die a couple times then redline it just to be on my way again.

heres some more info on the bike...
I run 89 octane E-10 unleaded
ran seafoam through the tank when i first got it
it has high-mount jardine exhaust
stock air box/filter
stock jets

I have never had problems with running e10 in a bike ('74 honda 250 still runs on it)
I guess i was wondering if i need a jet kit or if it would even solve the problem

any ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Old 07-12-2008, 11:39 AM
BeautyHawk
Squid

hey everyone thanks for the replies.

I may have forgot to mention something...
it only does it if the bike is completely warmed up, 200+ degrees, after it sits for a few minutes while off.
...after thought: I wonder if maybe its not getting fuel right away and I am the reason it floods.

for more clarification, i live on a farm in Nebraska (yes, we have electricity and tv )
the only fuels offered around here are 87 regular and 89 super (e10) then if i drive 20 miles i can get 89 regular or 91 super
or i can get a drum of 110 octane race fuel, that i use to run in my drag car....

that being said, I have never had any problems running e10 unleaded(super), Ive run it in every mower, 4-wheeler, 3-wheeler, jet-ski, boat, motorcycle, car, pickup, suv, i have ever owned.

this bike only had 6200 miles on it when i bought it back in april

Big upgrade from a Nighthawk to a Superhawk isn't it? I had a '92 750 prior to the '02 Superhawk...
yes sir, i had a '00 750, loved it but wanted more power and less weight, the superhawk is a perfect combo of both, plus the v-twin sounds amazing p.s. couldnt resist the awesome smilies...
Old 07-12-2008, 12:06 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
I vote 'dirty seat for the float needle, in one of the carb units.'
Old 07-12-2008, 04:09 PM
BeautyHawk
Squid

Originally Posted by comedo
What's the engine speed at idle?
it hovers around 1200-1300 rpm at idle

...im gonna run another can of seafoam through it and see if it clears it up.

Last edited by kshuck2; 07-12-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Squid

Unclutchable is on a distinguished road
if it's running fine until it heats up I don't think even 10 cans of seafoam would clear it up.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
I did just remember a post from about 2 3 months ago that a guy was having kinda the same problem after it warmed up. Come to find out that after it got hot the carb boot's that attach to the engine would warp and start leaking causing a lean hard to start condition ... just tryin to help
Old 07-14-2008, 03:02 AM
Squid

s4steve is on a distinguished road
Off topic but..... 98 is widely available in europe and here in Oz. Maybe octane ratings are calculated differently in the U.S. or maybe thats why you pay so little for your gas

Poor running when engine is warm - possibly rich fuelling.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:21 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by s4steve
Off topic but..... 98 is widely available in europe and here in Oz. Maybe octane ratings are calculated differently in the U.S. or maybe thats why you pay so little for your gas

Yeah. U.S. uses a different formula for calculating octane rating. Your 98 would be 92-93 here. Your 92 would be 87 here.

Main reason we pay less for fuel than many developed countries is because our fuel taxes are lower.