Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

No start

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 04:42 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

whatthefnck is on a distinguished road
No start

Had a collision on bike. Now won't start. Any suggestions? It'll turn over. It'll will start with starter fluid. But doesn't seem to be getting fuel. Stumped.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:04 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
How bad was the "collision" and what sort of damage did the bike sustain? (Hope you're ok).

Last edited by captainchaos; 11-06-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:19 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

about 30mph to sudden 0mph when some chump cut me off. possible bend of fork. looks like wheel bent, not sure about either untl i ride a bit. impact thru me about 20 ft and the bike bounced about 5-7 feet from car. broke the cars wheel alignment, had to be towed. but i didnt try starting bike afterwards, had it towed home. didn't get around to start fixing it until recently. took apart and cleaned out the carbs real good. fresh fuel.
here's a sound clip of trying to start it. sprayed in some starter fluid, started it, fizzled out, sprayed a bit more, started and fizzled out.

feel free to call me [713]..[900]..[6453] mike
Attached Files
File Type: wav
starting.wav (1.10 MB, 25 views)

Last edited by whatthefnck; 11-06-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:57 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Check fuel is flowing plus that the vacuum hose is still connected securely to the correct place, and if you have spark.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:05 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about your wreak. Hope you didn't hurt.
Really sounds like a fuel issue. Like Wicky said check the vac line and see if applying a vacuum to the petcock allow fuel to flow. Sounds like this was an issue before the accident.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:41 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Fuel
start simple, drain old tale gas, refill. (old stale gas is anything from a US pump that is more than 2 weeks old)
Apply vacuum to the petcock and see if you get fuel flow. If not, fix that.
If so, time for carbs to come out and clean.. again..
Thats not just removing them and spraying with brake clean... Thats cleaning each jet, and emulsion tube, checking each passage, float height set correctly, the needle and seat is good, clean, correct, ensuring no air leaks at the chock valve, ect ect
Old 11-07-2017, 11:25 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

Originally Posted by Wicky
Check fuel is flowing plus that the vacuum hose is still connected securely to the correct place, and if you have spark.
Fuel is fesh, even added a bit of octane booster and some Stabil fuel saver. Recently checked the diaphram of the petcock, seemed well. But I tested the vacuum on the petcock and i need to constantly be sucking to keep it open for fuel to flow out, but if i pinch it off or fold it to retain vacuum, it lets go and closes therefor stopping the fuel flow. So i'm not sure if thats good or bad, i imagine good, but i dont know much yet. Think i'm going to order a rebuild kit for the petcock anyway. cant hurt right?!

Originally Posted by xeris
Sorry to hear about your wreak. Hope you didn't hurt.
Really sounds like a fuel issue. Like Wicky said check the vac line and see if applying a vacuum to the petcock allow fuel to flow. Sounds like this was an issue before the accident.
Thx. but No issue beofre the accident having anything to do with this. Always started easily.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:24 AM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Fuel
start simple, drain old tale gas, refill. (old stale gas is anything from a US pump that is more than 2 weeks old)
Apply vacuum to the petcock and see if you get fuel flow. If not, fix that.
If so, time for carbs to come out and clean.. again..
Thats not just removing them and spraying with brake clean... Thats cleaning each jet, and emulsion tube, checking each passage, float height set correctly, the needle and seat is good, clean, correct, ensuring no air leaks at the chock valve, ect ect
All of this was done as well.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:26 AM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

so if it'll fire up with starter fluid, it should fire up with regardless. must be a fuel issue to ignition chamber/cylinder. the carbs have been pulled and cleaned out real good.