Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

No clutch adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Squid

Retro
No clutch adjustment?

Am I correct that the only adjustment that can be made to the SH clutch is the position of the lever? On my SH, it seem that I have to let the clutch out about 50% before it engages and the friction zone is really small.

On my 96 ACE 1100 (cable clutch), the clutch begins engaging after letting the lever out around 20% and is fully adjustable.

I have checked the clutch fluid and it's where it is supposed to be and I even bled the system to ensure there were no air bubbles. Is this just the nature of this clutch?

Thanks!

Retro
Old 05-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Squid

Retro
Re: No clutch adjustment?

Yes. There is a small black wheel at the back of the clutch lever that has four (if I remember correctly) settings. Turn all the way in to the right for the closest to you.

Ride safe!

Retro
Old 05-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Squid

Retro
No problemo!

Anyone have any feedback on my clutch questions above??

Ride safe!

Retro
Old 05-09-2005, 09:26 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Mine is the same. I even bought some clutch plates as I too thought it was about warn out but then I let a very experienced honda rider (former mechanic etc) who said it felt like a regular honda hydraulic clutch, i.e., too much free play. Dunno......
Old 05-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
Another area to consider it the metal spacer that is found behind the primary sprocket cover (between the cover and the engine case). I installed my Coerce sprocket cover/guard (eliiminates the stock big black cover) before a trackday and forgot to put in that spacer. When I fired the bike up, plunked it into 1st and then let out the clutch, NOTHING HAPPENDED!!! I was like, WTF! Without that spacer in there, the clutch piston was still pushing on the rod just enough to keep the clutch disengaged.

I quickly pulled off the aluminum guard and put in washers on each mounting bolt, sandwiched between the guard and the crankcase. Bingo, problem solved.

So to make a long story longer, I'm guessing that different thicknesses of washers may affect the engagement point of the clutch. Pretty easy to play with at least.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Back Marker

icebud

Hummm! very very interesting

Think I will have to go play around this cover soon...
Old 05-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Squid

Retro

Good to hear! I make take a look as well and see if a thicker washer would engage the clutch earlier

Thanks for the tip!

Ride safe!
Old 05-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk

Originally Posted by Retro";p=&quot
On my SH, it seem that I have to let the clutch out about 50% before it engages and the friction zone is really small.
I never thought about how the spacer size would change the clutch action. It would probably just change the location of the friction zone though and not solve your other problem with a 'small' friction zone. How about a real crazy idea. If you do have a small amount of air (very small amount) in the clutch line it would make the clutch work over a wider zone as the bubbles compress and decompress during lever movement. Yea, I know it's crazy but an easy thing to play with and then bleed out again if you have nothing to do some rainy day
Old 05-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Back Marker

RymerC
i don't know about that... I'd be worried about inconsistent clutch feel during high-stress situations. Interesting idea though. I would think a different-sized master cylinder would do the trick.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:42 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
Originally Posted by RymerC";p=&quot
i don't know about that... I'd be worried about inconsistent clutch feel during high-stress situations. Interesting idea though. I would think a different-sized master cylinder would do the trick.
Yes, a smaller diameter piston would be the answer to getting a wider friction zone for sure - or somehow altering the leverage of the whole thing...
Old 03-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Long Member
Back Marker

flyin_hawk is on a distinguished road
My clutch disengages when I pull the lever about 15% of the way. It also has a low pitched squeal when I slip it under moderate power. The bike is new to me with about 9500 mi. I'm thinking the clutch is toast. Seems like low mileage to have a fried clutch (without knowing what the last guy did to it). I'm going to experiment today to see if it will slip in high gear under power.

I was looking at parts to replace the clutch. Do I just need the three clutches and the two plates to do the job? I've done car clutches before but not cycle. Am I opening a can of worms? I have an image of me standing in the driveway coated in oil, surrounded by springs!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:05 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Holy reincarnation, Batman!!!! Did you see how old this post is?

The noise is normal. The VTR doesn't like high rpm clutch slips. The clutch should not slip under full power 4th gear...or any gear for that matter. If it does that means it's time to replace it. The lever travel (15%) is normal too.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Long Member
Back Marker

flyin_hawk is on a distinguished road
I've seen your rants about people not searching old threads. Don't want to get anyone fired up!! Besides, I didn't think anyone would mind me hijacking this old dinosaur.

That's good news though. Most bike i've ridden have a clutch that's in the friction zone somewhere in the middle, not right at the first hint of a grab. I'll check the 4th gear power situation. Thanks