SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   No clutch adjustment? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/no-clutch-adjustment-7059/)

Retro 05-08-2005 04:19 PM

No clutch adjustment?

Am I correct that the only adjustment that can be made to the SH clutch is the position of the lever? On my SH, it seem that I have to let the clutch out about 50% before it engages and the friction zone is really small.

On my 96 ACE 1100 (cable clutch), the clutch begins engaging after letting the lever out around 20% and is fully adjustable.

I have checked the clutch fluid and it's where it is supposed to be and I even bled the system to ensure there were no air bubbles. Is this just the nature of this clutch?

Thanks!

Retro

reelectreagan 05-09-2005 08:18 PM

Re: No clutch adjustment?

is there a way to make it so that you dont have to reach as far to squeeze the clutch lever?

Retro 05-09-2005 08:37 PM

Yes. There is a small black wheel at the back of the clutch lever that has four (if I remember correctly) settings. Turn all the way in to the right for the closest to you.

Ride safe!

Retro

reelectreagan 05-09-2005 08:38 PM

sweet thanks!

Retro 05-09-2005 08:45 PM

No problemo!

Anyone have any feedback on my clutch questions above??

Ride safe!

Retro

superbling 05-09-2005 09:26 PM

Mine is the same. I even bought some clutch plates as I too thought it was about warn out but then I let a very experienced honda rider (former mechanic etc) who said it felt like a regular honda hydraulic clutch, i.e., too much free play. Dunno......

VTRDarren 05-11-2005 10:42 AM

Another area to consider it the metal spacer that is found behind the primary sprocket cover (between the cover and the engine case). I installed my Coerce sprocket cover/guard (eliiminates the stock big black cover) before a trackday and forgot to put in that spacer. When I fired the bike up, plunked it into 1st and then let out the clutch, NOTHING HAPPENDED!!! I was like, WTF! Without that spacer in there, the clutch piston was still pushing on the rod just enough to keep the clutch disengaged.

I quickly pulled off the aluminum guard and put in washers on each mounting bolt, sandwiched between the guard and the crankcase. Bingo, problem solved.

So to make a long story longer, I'm guessing that different thicknesses of washers may affect the engagement point of the clutch. Pretty easy to play with at least.

icebud 05-11-2005 11:37 AM

Hummm! very very interesting :idea:

Think I will have to go play around this cover soon...

Retro 05-11-2005 02:22 PM

Good to hear! I make take a look as well and see if a thicker washer would engage the clutch earlier :)

Thanks for the tip!

Ride safe!

99Hawk 05-12-2005 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Retro";p=&quot (Post 5239)
On my SH, it seem that I have to let the clutch out about 50% before it engages and the friction zone is really small.

I never thought about how the spacer size would change the clutch action. It would probably just change the location of the friction zone though and not solve your other problem with a 'small' friction zone. How about a real crazy idea. If you do have a small amount of air (very small amount) in the clutch line it would make the clutch work over a wider zone as the bubbles compress and decompress during lever movement. Yea, I know it's crazy but an easy thing to play with and then bleed out again if you have nothing to do some rainy day

RymerC 05-12-2005 11:44 PM

i don't know about that... I'd be worried about inconsistent clutch feel during high-stress situations. Interesting idea though. I would think a different-sized master cylinder would do the trick.

99Hawk 05-13-2005 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by RymerC";p=&quot (Post 5412)
i don't know about that... I'd be worried about inconsistent clutch feel during high-stress situations. Interesting idea though. I would think a different-sized master cylinder would do the trick.

Yes, a smaller diameter piston would be the answer to getting a wider friction zone for sure - or somehow altering the leverage of the whole thing...

flyin_hawk 03-30-2007 07:05 AM

My clutch disengages when I pull the lever about 15% of the way. It also has a low pitched squeal when I slip it under moderate power. The bike is new to me with about 9500 mi. I'm thinking the clutch is toast. Seems like low mileage to have a fried clutch (without knowing what the last guy did to it). I'm going to experiment today to see if it will slip in high gear under power.

I was looking at parts to replace the clutch. Do I just need the three clutches and the two plates to do the job? I've done car clutches before but not cycle. Am I opening a can of worms? I have an image of me standing in the driveway coated in oil, surrounded by springs!:shock:

Hawkrider 03-30-2007 08:05 AM

Holy reincarnation, Batman!!!! Did you see how old this post is?

The noise is normal. The VTR doesn't like high rpm clutch slips. The clutch should not slip under full power 4th gear...or any gear for that matter. If it does that means it's time to replace it. The lever travel (15%) is normal too.

flyin_hawk 03-30-2007 09:17 AM

I've seen your rants about people not searching old threads. Don't want to get anyone fired up!! Besides, I didn't think anyone would mind me hijacking this old dinosaur.

That's good news though. Most bike i've ridden have a clutch that's in the friction zone somewhere in the middle, not right at the first hint of a grab. I'll check the 4th gear power situation. Thanks