Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

need help with integrated tail light

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Ummm, apparently the Proton Flashers have their own flash circuitry and do not need a signal relay.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BeerHunter
Ummm, apparently the Proton Flashers have their own flash circuitry and do not need a signal relay.
Different resistence values enable dissimilar flash rates. A incandescent bulb flashes slower than an LED.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RWhisen
Different resistence values enable dissimilar flash rates. A incandescent bulb flashes slower than an LED.
that is measured in MS. MOST humans cant see the difference, if you can see the difference it will be SMALL.

my bet would be as stated above, some LED blinkers have an integrated flasher.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:10 PM
SuperBike

Actually, resistance is measured in ohms and the delay was quite noticeable.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Superstock

Actually, resistance is measured in ohms and the delay was quite noticeable.
delay is measured in miliseconds. if it was truly that noticeable there was something else in line causing an exponential gain.

argueing the fundamentals of theory based on electronics in this case is about as usefull as pissing on a forest fire, or a paper sack on the titanic.

want to start down the trouble tree piece by piece? otherwise if you guess enough times surely you will get it right eventually.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Name:  popcorn2.gif
Views: 107
Size:  12.8 KBName:  popcorn2.gif
Views: 107
Size:  12.8 KB
Old 07-14-2012, 05:15 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Zedicus
delay is measured in miliseconds. if it was truly that noticeable there was something else in line causing an exponential gain.

argueing the fundamentals of theory based on electronics in this case is about as usefull as pissing on a forest fire, or a paper sack on the titanic.

want to start down the trouble tree piece by piece? otherwise if you guess enough times surely you will get it right eventually.

I don't understand your analogy of "a paper sack on the Titanic". What does that mean?

Delay is measured in whatever unit of time is appropriate and CAN be measured in milliseconds. For instance, in my business of avionics, I regularly use a device called a TDR (Time Delay Reflectometer). Coupled with a pulse generator, it can measure delays in the order of a nanosecond to isolate faults in circuitry or wiring.

If you wish to settle this in your own mind, without getting into the electronic theory of all of it, purchase a set of Proton LED turn signals, a Clear Alternatives tail light and hook everything up correctly. Run your test then tell me the LED and bulb blink at the same rate. Then add an electronic flasher to the circuit to see what happens with it installed.

Otherwise, since you have no basis in fact or observation because you weren't at my house when I ran through all of this, you should not try and tell me what I observed.

Didn't you part out your Hawk in 2009? You must be working from memory......

Last edited by RWhisen; 07-14-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
I have seen the effects of using straight LED signal lights when used in conjunction with standard incandescent bulbs. The LED uses much less current and comes on and goes off instantly, whereas the incandescent kind of ramps up when coming on. There can appear to be a delay between the 2 depending on the load placed on the flasher and quality of ground connections at the lights (have seen as much as 1/4 second), but the actual flash RATE is always the same (LED = 60 flash per minute - Incandescent = 60 flash per minute).

I have also seen these 2 different types of lights flash on and off with no discernible difference when the flasher (signal relay) IS loaded as designed and all power wiring and grounds are good.

The Protons seem to be different from a straight LED and can actually flash at a different rate from the other lights in the circuit if the relay is not loaded properly.

There was a discussion over on 600rr.net about this 3 years ago.

anyone elses protons flashing incorrectly?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Superstock

seems like you read about every other line that i typed. somwhere someone got confused about something, good luck with your issue.

I don't understand your analogy of "a paper sack on the Titanic". What does that mean?

Delay is measured in whatever unit of time is appropriate and CAN be measured in milliseconds. For instance, in my business of avionics, I regularly use a device called a TDR (Time Delay Reflectometer). Coupled with a pulse generator, it can measure delays in the order of a nanosecond to isolate faults in circuitry or wiring.

If you wish to settle this in your own mind, without getting into the electronic theory of all of it, purchase a set of Proton LED turn signals, a Clear Alternatives tail light and hook everything up correctly. Run your test then tell me the LED and bulb blink at the same rate. Then add an electronic flasher to the circuit to see what happens with it installed.

Otherwise, since you have no basis in fact or observation because you weren't at my house when I ran through all of this, you should not try and tell me what I observed.

Didn't you part out your Hawk in 2009? You must be working from memory......
Old 07-17-2012, 03:20 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Zedicus
seems like you read about every other line that i typed. somwhere someone got confused about something, good luck with your issue.
My bike doesn't have an issue, sorry for your confusion......
Old 07-17-2012, 06:57 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road