Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Wiring for ebay cheapo integrated tail light

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
Wiring for ebay cheapo integrated tail light

hey guys sooo i recieved a integrated taillight and blinker setup from Peterpanic this winter and i took the tail apart and wanted to put it in a couple weeks ago and the wiring didnt make sense to me at all... the blinkers i think i can figure out but the main hookup was TOTALLY different than the stocker, do i have to cut and splice wires??? im lost any help would be great i can try and get a pic of it but i hope someone may know what im talking about.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:39 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I picked up a similar taillight assembly too. While I have not yet installed it, at a glance, it does look like I could benefit from the same advice so I`ll be following this thread.

cheers
Old 03-23-2010, 12:02 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I didn't need to do any cutting to install mine.

The way mine worked is that you use one of the bulb sockets from the OEM light to hook up the brake and tail light. (remove the bulb and plug the wiring into that, then plug the back of the socket to where it normally goes in the harness)

Then the blinkers have barrel connectors similar to the stock ones. (smaller diameter, but I just slightly crimped the connectors in the harness to get a secure fit without damaging them)

Remember with LEDs they have a + and a - side so if they don't work one way, swap the wires (or turn the bulb connector over).
Old 03-23-2010, 01:07 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
Turn signals use only the positive wires from the bike. They are grounded through the brake/tail connector. The main connection is a plug on the LED unit that is plugged in as if it were one of the taillight bulbs. It will only work right one way, so you may need to turn it over. The other bulb socket and the license connector on the bike harness are unused (tape them up). Feel free to PM or post with any questions.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:31 PM
MotoGP

thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
awesome guys!! thanks a ton
Old 03-27-2010, 04:53 PM
MotoGP

Just want to say thanks for the pointers. I installed my light today and everything works great.

cheers
Old 08-07-2014, 05:46 AM
Squid

supertim996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
I didn't need to do any cutting to install mine.

The way mine worked is that you use one of the bulb sockets from the OEM light to hook up the brake and tail light. (remove the bulb and plug the wiring into that, then plug the back of the socket to where it normally goes in the harness)

Then the blinkers have barrel connectors similar to the stock ones. (smaller diameter, but I just slightly crimped the connectors in the harness to get a secure fit without damaging them)

Remember with LEDs they have a + and a - side so if they don't work one way, swap the wires (or turn the bulb connector over).
Where do the two resisters go that came with mine lens assembly? I also plugged it in and I don't get any brake lights only running lights