Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

My Wilbers rear shock has arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Back Marker

icebud
My Wilbers rear shock has arrived!

Hi all, as promise, I'm posting today some pictures of my new Wilbers rear shock as he have just arrived past Friday, after five interminable weeks of wait!!

This is a Wilbers 641 model with the option #629 for the ride height adjustability, it give me a range of ± 1/2 inch. It also feature adjustable rebound damping with 22 clicks, and also High and Low speed compression damping with 22 clicks. And finally, a five years warranty from Wilbers USA in New Jersey.

I have make make set it at the manufacture for "sport ride" with the comfort for the day to day use in priority. As track is not in my plan for the next years, I will see after if I change my mind. If so, I had a guide with it who will help me if I would like to change the setting in the future, I will see...

For now, i'm more poor of 723$ US but I'm sure that my butt will thank me so much!! And that as soon as I will have installed it, I will have a all "new" VTR...

The installation is planned for the next weekend, I will let you know how it will have been after and also how it "feel" after my first ride with it.

Cya
Old 07-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Back Marker

RymerC
man, that looks nice! have fun with it
Old 07-25-2005, 01:24 AM
Back Marker

bluesman
Re: My Wilbers rear shock has arrived!

Hey, that's same model of Wilbers I installed (except mine comes with blue spring).

When you will install it can you let know where you placed reservoir?
I am a bit worried I got it wrong...position of hose to and reservoir itself seemed to be "one way only" to install, but I am still unsure.
In my case I got reservoir on subframe beam but underneath it. I saw few SHawks with Fox or Ohlins shocks and seeme that reservoir goes onto same subframe beam but above it ...
When I tried to turn shock 180 degrees so that reservoir hose facing to rear of bike banjo bolt seemed to push against plastic tray under seat(battery), so I ended up with hose/banjo bolt facing front and reservoir on left side of bike, but then reservoir does not reallyt fit well above subframe beam but only underneath it. Is it same for you?

BTW - when you will try you will not beleive improvement in ride quality and handling! Just make sure forks is upgraded too...
Old 07-25-2005, 06:54 AM
Back Marker

W-O-T
VERY NICE!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:55 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm jealous
Old 07-25-2005, 01:41 PM
Back Marker

icebud

Thx guys for your good comments

Be sure that I will let you know my first impressive and also after some rides if it worth its price!!

Originally Posted by bluesman";p=&quot
Hey, that's same model of Wilbers I installed (except mine comes with blue spring).

When you will install it can you let know where you placed reservoir?
Yes Bluesman, this is the same as yours, and the red spring is a special order of my part, blue will not have make as well with my yellow VTR

For the installation, it's a coincidence because I was looking over the net to find some tips about this!! To be honest I'm also confuse about this and your comment don't encourage me!! I will let you know after the installation of the choice I will make. Of course I had a quick installation guide with the shock but nothing is said about the reservoir position on the bike... And this is exactly the question I'm asking me about!

I will study the case this week before the installation of this weekend!
Have you some pictures of your installation? For now, I was figuring to put the reservoir on the left side of the bike under the sub frame but this is only theory, practical can be really different!!

For the front fork upgrade, look a the left corner of the first picture, you will see a CBR1000RR front end in my kitchen floor that is waiting to be install. I'm so impatient to do this also but it will wait the winter, summer is to short here in Qc to loose any day! And like I imagine that it will be very more complicated to do than "simply" change the rear shock, I will take my time to do this, this winter in my "new" garage!

Thx a lot
Old 07-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Back Marker

bluesman

OK so we ran into same question

Well, to be honest I can not complain - I installed my shock that way and rode bike with no single problem since. I was only worried about "what if" under heavy load chan cover will hit resrvoir etc. etc. But: when I asked my heavyweight friend (rugby player) to sit on bike and jump as much as he can up and down chain cover doesn't seem to be reaching reservoir at all..

First of all when fitting it - you do need to remove headers, because stupid lower link bolt can not be pulled out otherwise!!!

Then - when I tried first I weren't able to get shock in for 30 min. It simply did not seem to fit in through gap between frame-wheel-engine-swingarm. Then - after messing around for a while I found some kind of position of shock vs. bike when it simply went in easily! As soon as you managed to get shock in it's place it's easy. Now, I can;t recall how I put it in, but certainly through gap between wheel and engine and then up into position...

About reservoir etc.
My shock installed with banjo bolt facing engine, and reservoir hanged right under straight "horizontal" part of that square-section beam that forming lower part of pillion subframe.
Unfortunately I have no picture of that side of my bike

Check that - that's not my bike, but in my case reservoir hanged at same spot but on other side of bike
http://folk.uio.no/joakimt/vtr/janes.jpg
Old 07-26-2005, 06:27 AM
Back Marker

icebud

Thx a lot Bluesman for these information's

The picture make me think and if it's possible, I will also try to put the reservoir on the right side of my bike ( as on the picture ) because the chain on the left side always throw a lot of oil residue on my undertail and also on the sub frame ( Damm Pyramid hugger ), so If I'm able I will also install it on the right. I will see....

I'm very impatient to install it

Cheers