Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Electrical Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Squid

Mikael is on a distinguished road
Electrical Help Please

I have a US bike and I am in the process of switching over my US lighting control switch for the European ones, as they have the on/off position and passing switch.
So far I think I got it right as most of the wires are just straight forward plug into old spot.

The 6P is a direct plug in if I read the wiring diagrams correctly
The 9P switch is also direct except I can ignore both the lb/w and o/w wires that go to the turn signals in the US version (I assume they are for constant power i.e. running lights)

The trouble I am having is in the European switch there is a bl/r wire that goes to the 20A headlight fuse is not there in the harness for the US VTR.
It is instead located in the 9P start/stop switch on the right control.

My question is can I just take the bl/r wire from the left switch and combine it with the bl/r wire in the right switch so then they both go to the 20A headlight fuse?

Last edited by Mikael; 08-24-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:47 AM
Squid

Anyone? I know this has been done before but other than saying its been done no info on how to actually wire it up.

I just want to know if this will work as I don't know electrical very well, and if this is on the right track or completely wrong.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:57 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Im interested to as I wish to do the same thing. But im going to use a Hornet 900 block.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:03 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
I've looked at your post and diagrams 3 times. I may be overlooking something obvious- it's been known to happen- but I see no "20 amp headlight relay" nor the wire you describe on either diagram and I know my US bike is not equipped with any OEM headlight relay. Did you mean the 20 amp headlight fuse?

Presuming your bike is still stock, you could run a temp wire to the fuse block to what you assume to be the power lead of your new switch. Then using only a VOM run the switch through all the positions : on, off , hi, lo, passing and verify the outputs you are looking for at the headlight plug are what you expect. (You can write down the various readings using your stock setup before you begin.)

If it works as you expect you could just install it with a new hot wire direct to the Headlight fuse. The fuse protects you from f****ups and by not messing with pinout in the other switch you can later go back to OEM if you like.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Squid

Sorry my mistake it was the headlight fuse I meant.

Thank you CrankenFine, and the Black with red wire comes from the headlight fuse on both diagrams just goes to different places. On the US version it ends up in the right clip on switch (start/stop) and the European one goes to the left clip on switch (light controls)

So if the readings are good and both wires just need to go to the headlight fuse I should be ok no matter if I run a separate wire or join them at some other point
Old 08-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Mikael,

I want to thank you for posting this thread for a couple reasons. First, it caused me to study my own bike electrical which I now understand better for having looked at this. Second, these color diagrams you posted are SO much easier to follow than the black and white line diagrams in the factory shop manual!!.

Here's what I learned. On our US bikes, we are all safely protected from starting our bikes if our headlight fuse is blown... that's right. Go pull your 20 amp "headlight fuse" turn on your ignition and push the starter button. Nothing happens without the headlight fuse in place. I suppose you could bump start it but no starter motor.

So understanding this better now, you should look for a blue/white wire in your wiring harness plug to your existing light switch. This is the hot lead from the headlight fuse (via the starter switch) to your new switch and will go to your black/red wire in the connector from your new switch. It appears the switch internally bridges DC power to your ON/OFF as well as your passing momentary switch to light the high beam. Happy motoring.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Squid

Oh okay that actually makes some sense. Well at least to someone with no electrical understanding

Yes I like the coloured diagrams really easy to read what goes where when you are trying to understand the electrical systems.

Thank you for your input and help in this much appreciated.

Just went out and took a second look then to me it looks like all the wires line up except for:

1)The orange/white and light blue/white wires from the harness which are unnecessary and have no matching wires in the European light switch. These are just for having running lights on all the time

2)The blue/white wire from the harness now goes to the black/red wire

3)The brown wire from the european light switch (comes from the "sidelight" or the light above the headlight) is extra as the US harness has this built directly in and doesn't go to the light switch at all as its on all the time where in the European bike this can be turned on and off via the light switch

Last edited by Mikael; 08-24-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mikael
I have a US bike and I am in the process of switching over my US lighting control switch for the European ones, as they have the on/off position and passing switch.
So far I think I got it right as most of the wires are just straight forward plug into old spot.

The 6P is a direct plug in if I read the wiring diagrams correctly
The 9P switch is also direct except I can ignore both the lb/w and o/w wires that go to the turn signals in the US version (I assume they are for constant power i.e. running lights)

The trouble I am having is in the European switch there is a bl/r wire that goes to the 20A headlight fuse is not there in the harness for the US VTR.
It is instead located in the 9P start/stop switch on the right control.

My question is can I just take the bl/r wire from the left switch and combine it with the bl/r wire in the right switch so then they both go to the 20A headlight fuse?

Do you still have these pictures? Im getting broken links
Old 11-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Squid

Those were just the wiring diagrams one for the US bike one for the European.

I could probably find them again if need be.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Mikael
Those were just the wiring diagrams one for the US bike one for the European.

I could probably find them again if need be.
Thanks I found them... I'll post them.

Thank you
Old 11-11-2014, 07:33 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Thanks I found them... I'll post them.

Thank you
Erik, did you post them and if so, where?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
Erik, did you post them and if so, where?
I've tried to embed them but not working for me.. same for uploading to photobucket...it keeps reducing size.

Here is where I found them posted for us on "the other" site
www.vtr1000.org • View topic - High resolution wiring diagram
Credit to cybercarl and others for posting the diagrams I found invaluable.