Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Jetting for my situation

Old 08-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Squid

Tslapper is on a distinguished road
Jetting for my situation

Hi all!

I have a 99 and it came with 2 bros exhaust. I have been doing some work to the beast to bring it more in line with what I want. Now I need to address the lean condition.

I'm going to keep the exhaust and it's a track bike only. It sure did a great job last week! Cant speak highly enough about my experience with it. Good suspension bits made a huge improvement.

That all being said, I can't seem to find some advice for my jetting situation using the search feature here.

Given the cans are max blow through, I need a recommended baseline for jetting. There's a stock airbox with K&N filter and of course, the cans.

It's lean now. Big lean in the bottom end, lean in the mid range and seems ok up top. Plugs are white, lots of popping and banging after the temps get into the high 70's and the bikes running all out.

I would offer that I can fabricate some insert for the 2 bros. noise makers as it doesn't need to be that loud and would probably help with jetting and keep me from cutting up the airbox, etc.

I am open to all recommendations for staring points, including working search terms.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 03:48 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Lose the K&N and go with a stock filter then follow this: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-set-up-24769/

(search for K&N on the forum, and you will see 90%+ of people can't make it work right.. They just are not good on our bike, and the stock filter actually flows MORE air most of the time)

Last edited by lazn; 08-26-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Squid

I read that thread, well, the first post but didn't know about the filter being an issue.

Just called sudco and ordered the jets. Off to go find a filter.

Thank you very much!

Tom
Old 08-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Tslapper
I read that thread, well, the first post but didn't know about the filter being an issue.

Just called sudco and ordered the jets. Off to go find a filter.

Thank you very much!

Tom
Guess you missed this part:

" Note: The following set up works with a stock airbox and stock air filter. If you want to run a aftermarket filter or airbox mods, you are pretty much on your own trying to get it dialed in correctly"

and yes I am one of those people who really did try to get the K&N filter to work but finally gave up and went back to a stock filter....
Old 08-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Guess you missed this part:

" Note: The following set up works with a stock airbox and stock air filter. If you want to run a aftermarket filter or airbox mods, you are pretty much on your own trying to get it dialed in correctly"

and yes I am one of those people who really did try to get the K&N filter to work but finally gave up and went back to a stock filter....

Glossed right over. I have to read things two or three times before I pick up a wrench these days and I haven't gotten that far yet, so the bike is safe.

So far... this thread has cost me some jets, a filter and some packing for the 2 bros. I went ahead and bought some silver slash cut foot pegs for it too. Just because.

I thought the K&N was a good feature on this bike when I bought it. One side of me wants to try and make it work so I can just wash and oil but I'll listen to you guys.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 06:32 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Well what you can do is remove it at first to see how the bike SHOULD work, then go back to the K&N and see if you can get that working.. There are a few who like the K&N.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by lazn
Well what you can do is remove it at first to see how the bike SHOULD work, then go back to the K&N and see if you can get that working.. There are a few who like the K&N.

Mostly just want it to run right. Figure that's what I'll end up with.

Sure does go around a track like stink.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:06 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I'm not saying K&N is in the same league (because they're not), but a lot of guys bought Splitfire spark plugs 15 or so years ago, thinking they would get quick, cheap horsepower... NOT!

It's all about marketing.

My bike runs like a bat out of hell with a stock air filter and the carb mods listed in my signature. To get more power, you have to spend $. But personally, I have all the power I can use on the street.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Squid

Great!

I get home from a trip, one week to go before a track day, jets showed up while I was gone and I find a dynojet kit in my hawk tonight. So much for the recommended changes.

So the bike is running lean on decel and near idle.

I did get a stock air filter and will install that to see if it helps. I will not install the 48 pilots. I need to find out what is in there for main jets and then get the stockers, along with stock needles. That's the long term plan.

In the mean time, anyone have a recommendation for setting the air mix screws to help with the lean condition I'm dealing with?
Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Well the first step would to be see where they are set. If they are in the stock 2 turns out, then open them up another 1\2 turn and see how the bike runs. If it is still bad you might still be able to go out another half a turn.

The basic rule of thumb with pilot jets is when the bike runs a well as you can get it if your setting is less than 1 turn out, then go down 1 size on the pilot jet. If it is more than 3 turns out go up one size on the pilots.

Also you might want to send mikstr a PM as he has his dynojet kit working pretty well.....
Old 09-14-2011, 04:07 AM
Squid

Well the first step would to be see where they are set. If they are in the stock 2 turns out, then open them up another 1\2 turn and see how the bike runs. If it is still bad you might still be able to go out another half a turn.

The basic rule of thumb with pilot jets is when the bike runs a well as you can get it if your setting is less than 1 turn out, then go down 1 size on the pilot jet. If it is more than 3 turns out go up one size on the pilots.

Also you might want to send mikstr a PM as he has his dynojet kit working pretty well.....

Thanks. Appreciate the insight. Sounds like I'm adding fuel, not air with these pilots.

It looks like I can buy stock needles and mains still. I'm going to go that route after I get through this next ride.

Found one of the starter valve housings broken while I was in there. It was wired to the carb rail to hold it in place. Got the parts coming for that.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Yes the pilots on this model carb control fuel flow.

The enrichment circuit having a broken holder could also be causing you problem so it is good that you are replacing it...
Old 09-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Squid

Yes the pilots on this model carb control fuel flow.

The enrichment circuit having a broken holder could also be causing you problem so it is good that you are replacing it...

I'm going to silicone that fitting for now and wire it back in place. That should hold for a day. You make a good point about my lean issue. To reduce the number of changes maybe I'll throw the K&N back in there and test ride it.

So that's two changes. The pilots are set to 2 turns out now, from 1 3/4 and sealing up the enrichment circuit. Oops, that's 3.

If that makes a difference, I'll leave it until next week, after the ride.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Stock is not 2 turns out...more like 1.25 turns out, at least on mine. With slip ons and filter you should set to about 2.25-2.5 turns out using stock #45 idle jets.

Also, you CAN make the K&N work for you. I did, though I'm using a Factory jet kit. Don't forget to sync the carbs and adjust the TPS while you're at it.

Oh, and you never said if you have the slip-on TBR or the full system.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Stock is not 2 turns out...more like 1.25 turns out, at least on mine. With slip ons and filter you should set to about 2.25-2.5 turns out using stock #45 idle jets.

Also, you CAN make the K&N work for you. I did, though I'm using a Factory jet kit. Don't forget to sync the carbs and adjust the TPS while you're at it.

Oh, and you never said if you have the slip-on TBR or the full system.

I think this is a full system but have no real idea to base that on.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Nope, the header looks stock. TBR full system has larger diameter headers and is chrome.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Squid

Thanks, not a bad stock header, really.

Here's what i wound up with...

Stock filter, temporarily fixed air leak at enrichment circuit. Pilot screws out 2 turns, synced carbs and I'll repack the cans tomorrow.

Now all I need is to put enough lights on it to get me out for a blast. I need to get it good and hot to see how it's going to go.

Comes on good idle after warm up, accepts throttle in short blips and long pulls through the rev range. Quick full throttle blips seem to be ok.

I think it might get me past Monday.

This thing is nasty sounding.