General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Situation: flywheel. Need recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Back Marker

NAVY8TR is on a distinguished road
Situation: flywheel. Need recommendations

The hawk has recently brought me down a road I haven't wanted to go on yet. But at this point I have no choice...

Brought it to the shop dec 19 for carb work, I did the factory pro jet kit, and needed to have it professionally tuned. Cost: $240 They got it but in order to put it on the dyno to test it they told me that I needed new tires cause somehow I had lodged a screw in the rear. Lucky I had a spare set for a situation like this and just had them mounted, Cost now:$330. I get a call a couple days later saying the charging system isn't working correctly and the voltage regulator needs to be replaced (for the 3rd time). Found one. Cost now $375 and rising. Regulator installed and the next day the phone rings, charging system still isn't working properly. Voltage checked everywhere, problem is the flywheel.

So my pockets are empty now. I have no more cash for another month. So I think my options are to try to clean and lighten the flywheel I have (IS IT POSSIBLE? WILL IT WORK?) or buy a new one, next month when I have the money, DAAAANNNGG what do I do!?!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Back Marker

update: found one on ebay for $80.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Based on the shop's diagnosis of your charging problem, I think you should find a different shop.

Just my $.02

Rex
Old 03-10-2010, 08:36 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bjorn toulouse
Based on the shop's diagnosis of your charging problem, I think you should find a different shop.

Just my $.02

Rex
+1billion
Old 03-11-2010, 12:24 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Sorry about your troubles. Flywheels do not go bad, they might break, or have a key shear, but they do not all of a sudden go bad. If it were me, I would have them stop where they are and get the bike out of there.

OR

If you think that they are an OK dealer, ask them to show you the problem, maybe there is some communication issue. Was it the mechanic that you spoke with, or the 18 year old kid that works the phone? I was that kid 30 years ago... Usually there is one person in the shop that knows what they are doing, see if you can speak with him / her. If not, then get out.

Take a look at the manual - I think it is chap 16 on electrial - do some debugging of your own. A $20 meter from Radioshack or Lowes is all that you need. At least that way you can be more informed when dealing with these guys.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:57 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The flywheel doesn't have very much to do with the charging... The stator might... But that's a 1 in 100 odds... In my experience there are two main failure modes...

Number one is the R/R... Number two is oxide, bad contact somewhere, usually in the ground circuit (and this usually kills the R/R)...

A bad battery or stator isn't a failure mode... It's a sympthom...
Old 03-11-2010, 08:02 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Shop supervisor to mechanic: "We got a live one here, he seems to be willing to keep paying for stuff, see what else you can break and get him to pay for."

Getting jet kit tuned: worth it. The rest: do yourself for 1/8 that price.

FYI the flywheel is not connected to the charging system.. It'd be like saying that your car won't start because you left the front door at home open. (If they can't tell the difference between a flywheel and a stator get your bike out of their hands ASAP)

Last edited by lazn; 03-11-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
+1 Flywheel doesn't make sense. Stator would. As mentioned though, they are hardly ever the problem.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:43 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Pardon me, I think the flywheel(rotor) is the magnet that spins around the stator and induces a voltage. That would make it part of the charging system. Is the flywheel physically damaged?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:21 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thetophatflash
Pardon me, I think the flywheel(rotor) is the magnet that spins around the stator and induces a voltage. That would make it part of the charging system. Is the flywheel physically damaged?
Umm the flywheel is a separate piece.

Sorry I just looked at the ronayers site and they list it as one, however the flywheel has a large cup shaped magnet bolted to it.

Last edited by zmaniv; 03-11-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:47 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by thetophatflash
I don't believe there is a permanent magnet in the system as it is an alternator not a generator..

The rotor has field windings, not magnets.. And the flywheel is for smoothing power pulses and having momentum to move through the rest of the 4 cycles post power cycle, and nothing to do with any kind of electricity.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:02 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
The bowl shaped piece that mounts to the flywheel is an integral part of it. Once it is bolted in place, it is no longer a separate piece - but I guess we're talking semantics, or something.

This bowl part has integral permanent magnets, and is the rotor, which drives the current in the stator of the alternator.

Having said that, it is hard to imagine that it would "go bad".

check the connector on the left side of the bike, behind the rear ign coil with the 30 amp fuse. It is the starter relay, where the main power comes from the battery, but it also supplies juice to the rest of the electrical system.

Look for the red connector and the battery + and starter cables. There are 4 contacts that can become corroded from getting wet when you wash your bike. This will play havoc with your charging system. Pull the connector off and inspect and clean the contacts.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:07 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RCVTR
The bowl shaped piece that mounts to the flywheel is an integral part of it. Once it is bolted in place, it is no longer a separate piece - but I guess we're talking semantics, or something.

This bowl part has integral permanent magnets, and is the rotor, which drives the current in the stator of the alternator.

Having said that, it is hard to imagine that it would "go bad".

check the connector on the left side of the bike, behind the rear ign coil with the 30 amp fuse. It is the starter relay, where the main power comes from the battery, but it also supplies juice to the rest of the electrical system.

Look for the red connector and the battery + and starter cables. There are 4 contacts that can become corroded from getting wet when you wash your bike. This will play havoc with your charging system. Pull the connector off and inspect and clean the contacts.
Really? I am surprised it is a generator and not an alternator. Kinda cool I guess.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:13 AM
SuperSport

lazn, it is an alternator, see regulator/ rectifier operation.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:21 AM
SuperSport

this may be of some help...<http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/AlternatorGeneratorTheory.htm>

Last edited by thetophatflash; 03-11-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 AM
SuperBike

the current is driven by permanent magnets mounted to the flywheel.

Anybody who has installed the left side cover can attest to that.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Back Marker

thanks for the recommendations so far guys.... I've been doing my homework on the issue. Been paroozing the internet and talked to 2 other shops, they haven't seen a flywheel go bad, ever. And I didn't find anything online to support this theory either. Since it is just a rotating mass it is hard to fathom that such a part could go bad, unless of course it breaks into pieces. that being said the shop (SVM) who is in possession of the bike said they have seen a flywheel lose its magnetism twice before, once it was without explanation, and the other time because the bike went down on the left side.

Pieces of the puzzle are starting to make me want to believe that SVM is playing for my team and trying to help me here, and not just trying to take my money. This is because my bike has gone down on the left side, granted it wasn't hard, it was in the dirt, and it was wearing protection (frame sliders). Then there's the side of me that knows that SVM can seen the scratches on the crankcase cover and will fulfill their hypothesis that the flywheel has lost its magnetism because the bike has been down on that side.

On a good note I did stop by the shop and rode it today. Little chilly at 35 F but nice to get on the bike since its been 2.5 months. Part of me wants to resolve the charging issue (that's the pride) and then there's me who just wants to get the bike back and say screw the charging system, and just ride it...
Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 AM
SuperBike

But it is an alternator. It generates an alternating current.

don't ask me how the magnets are configured. I'm a mechanical guy.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:48 AM
MotoGP

But it is an alternator. It generates an alternating current.

don't ask me how the magnets are configured. I'm a mechanical guy.
Generators also can create AC..
Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
the current is driven by permanent magnets mounted to the flywheel.

Anybody who has installed the left side cover can attest to that.
Exactly, I was going to take a pic of my spare unit but the batteries died in my camera. The magnet is permanently fixed to the flywheel. The bolts in the drawing hold the sprang clutch in place (the one way bearing for the starter).

And the last statement about the cover is exactly how I would test to see if the magnets were still good. Does it try to rip the cover out of your hand when you go to install it. If so, that's not the problem and I have never seen one go bad. Get dropped or damaged, sure but not just magically go bad. Then again. if they dropped it of a work bench it could well be FUBARed.....
Old 03-11-2010, 01:03 PM
SuperBike

Is it an alternating generator, or a generating alternator?

I'm glad I don't have to answer that. I do know that the imaginary plane is perpendicular to the real one. I didn't know that until I understood rotordynamics though. I could never get my head around it when the electrical guys tried to explain it.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:54 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Exactly, I was going to take a pic of my spare unit but the batteries died in my camera.
Dead batteries huh, probably the R/R in the camera, but it COULD be the flywheel. Check that your alternator is generating and make sure the generator alternates.

As far as the bike and bike shop goes, my mom used to say..."seems damned funny..."
Old 03-11-2010, 02:00 PM
SuperSport

The simple flow is:

The alternator puts out AC voltage from the engine, ranging from about 12 VAC at proper idle RPM, to up to mybe 40 VAC as you rev the engine.

The regulator then keeps the voltage to ~14.4 or so VAC, there is some heat generated from this step.

Then the rectifier converts the ac voltage to dc voltage. This is where most of the heat comes into play and why RR (regulator / rectifier combo) units cook themselves sometimes.

The flywheel has magnets in it. Put a screwdiriver on it and see it stick. They almost never go bad. The stator has coils of wire spooled up - they go bad sometimes, but not all that often. RRs go bad all the time due to heat.

You can trace the current path to trouble-shoot with a volt meter. Shops tend to hit and miss by replacing parts.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Back Marker

toy4xchris is on a distinguished road
like what has been said above I would go and just check the output on things there is way more chance that a connection is dirty or screwed up some how that your flywheel/stator not saying that it can't go out I have seen them go out on other bikes but they generally are a lot older than our hawks.. Good luck with the fix
Old 03-11-2010, 07:21 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
pardon me, but it sounds like they dropped a screw into it and couldn't find it. tragic amateurs.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:29 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
It seems like all bases have been covered by others on this thread. But did the shop mention the flux capacitor as a possible cause to your charging problems?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:53 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
I thought it was muffler bearings.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:54 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by lazn
Generators also can create AC..
Now you've got me thinking...

Automotive alternators use electromagnets for the field.

As I understand it, an alternator creates an axial sine wave with the alternating, triangular arrangement of these magnets.

I would guess that a generator is different, because the magnet poles run axially and create a circumferential sine wave, using a different coil arrangement in the stator.

Is that a rough description of the structural difference?

I still don't know the VTR magnet arrangement, but I am guessing that it's a generating alternator, not an alternating generator.

In that case, I think you should definitely inspect the flux capacitor.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:33 AM
SuperSport

Think of it this way, a generator is an alternater with an RR built into it. Yes there are exceptions, but this is a pretty good way of thinking about it.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:19 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
It's only called an "alternator" because it generates alternating current (AC). The rectifier bridge (6 diodes, 3 pos and 3 neg) "straightens" out the AC to DC so it can be used to charge automotive and motorcycle batteries.

Things would be really screwed up with cars now if they had gone through with the 42 volt system that was proposed in the late 90's. That idea was finally scrapped several years ago.

Quick Reply: Situation: flywheel. Need recommendations