General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Almost messed the drawers...advice on this situation

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Squid

Cheesedrug
Almost messed the drawers...advice on this situation

o.k. here's is what happened. First of all I always wear all my protection every time I ride...even when it is crazy hot and the temptation to just throw a leg over and ride is high. Anyway, I'm on my way to the gym and pull out from a stoplight pretty fast on a four lane road. Second either missed or slipped out and the bike stalled going about 30-40mph...didn't look at tiny speedo. I put it in 2nd and slowly released the clutch...traffic all around. Next thing I know it catches, kinda like popping the clucth on a manual transmission car, and the rear end starts spinning making the bike extremely unstable. I remained calm and made sure to ease off any gas. The bike settled and I drove away. It happened again after the gym on the way to a friend's house. This time I was on a residential road and I keep the clutch in and hit the start button when it stalled. Then eased out the clutch and went on my way. Not sure if I am lazy footing the long throw from first to second but want this to not happen again. 2 questions...1) How to keep this from happening and 2) if bike stalls what should I do? Thank you in advance for your advice.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:00 AM
Squid

Cheesedrug
After thinking about the best thing to do in this situation, I think that it would be best to keep the clutch in if bike stalls and then hit the starter button until the bike restarts and then continue carefully. Do you agree?
Old 06-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
I agree. I've only had a stall once and that was slowing for light (raised the idle speed a little and presto, no stalling). Obviously it would be a good idea to keep the clutch pulled until the engine is spinning where you want it.....sounds like a heart pumper, glad it worked out.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Squid

JonnyRocket is on a distinguished road
i'd pull in the clutch and restart, or go to 3rd for the bump start, 3rd gear has more leverage on the engine than 2nd does and will start it easier (sounds like you let the clutch out and it hopped the rear tire trying to turn it in too low of a gear)
if your having trouble missing/catching second, adjust your shifter down 5mm or so, so your leg/foot has more range of travel and can complete the shift, instead of halfshifting to neutral... helped a TON for mine..