Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Ignition switch relocation and amp rating

Old 01-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
Ignition switch relocation and amp rating

I am doing a street fighter convertion, and am going to have to relocate the ignition switch. Does anybody have any idea?

Option 1 - relocate the stock switch. This isn't a good option because of the size of the ignition switch including the steering lock mechanism. Where could I mount this silly thing without it looking out of place? Not my favorite option.

Option 2 (preferred) - put an aftermarket switch in an alternate location. There are a couple decent looking options out there. In looking at the wiring schematic, it appears that there is quite a load that goes through the ignition switch. Anybody have any idea what the current rating of the switch would be? Anybody use an aftermarket switch that works well?

Option 3 - I could use a toggle switch and hide it somewhere where it can't be easily identified. This is the least secure option, however I don't have much of security issue where I live or ride. Again, what kind of rating would I need?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
You must be really going all out, having to relocate the ignition. What are you doing to the upper triple?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:56 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Maybe you could adapt something from a Goldwing proximately ignition interlock with it's "keyless" fob!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
I have a 929/954 front end with 1 1/8 fat bars. I am using a headlight assembly that will sit nice and tight up against the forks and upper triple clamp, and the ignition switch is just in the way. I could use a bracket to push it out, but there are two problems with that; I don't like the way it looks space out that much, and the Acewell that I intend to use will be more difficult to fit. For the cleanest, most desirable build, I have to relocate the ignition switch. I already cut the ignition mounting bracket off of the top triple, so I am committed to the relocation effort.

I have found a lot of good looking aftermarket options, I just don't know about the amp rating.

Thanks for any information!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:26 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
The is very little current in there, about 2-3 amps, so get at least a 5 amp switch