Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

I just bought an 01 superhawk, few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 03:56 AM
Squid

JayBird217 is on a distinguished road
I just bought an 01 superhawk, few Q's

I just bought an '01 Honda Superhawk today. The bike is real clean and the mileage is 24,600. I picked it up for $3400. Someone please tell me that I got a good deal? http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n...217/Superhawk/

-Just to get it straight, what versions of this bike is there? Is the VTR1000F the same as the Firestorm? I don't know the difference.

-Is this bike anyway related to the RC51? They look very similar.

- Lastly, I really dislike where the clutch's friction zone is. I feel like as soon as I move the clutch lever in about a 1/4 inch, I can shift. I like the friction zone to be much closer to the handlebar grip. Is there anything I can do about this? Do I have to buy a new adjustable master cylinder or something? Please help!
Old 05-05-2008, 04:23 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
In the US it has the "nickname" SuperHawk and in Canada and Europe it's called Firestorm... But it's all still a VTR1000F...

As for "versions"... The bike has remained close to unchanged through out it's history... look in forum for a thread about the changes in different years...
Old 05-05-2008, 04:33 AM
Back Marker

Spaz' is on a distinguished road
Clutch fluid perhaps looks low.
Definately do a flush of the front brake fluid.
The RC51 is the EFI racing version of this bike's engine (It's engine is significantly modified compared to the Superhawk and almost nothing is interchangable I believe.).
Dunno what you can do about the clutch. I have just over 25k and its an '01 as well, and mine lets up within an inch or so or something like that.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:00 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Welcome Jaybird,
There should be an adjuster nut on the clutch lever that may help. Here is a photo of the brake, would be the same for the clutch.
Attached Thumbnails I just bought an 01 superhawk, few Q's-adjuster.jpg  
Old 05-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gregw
Welcome Jaybird,
There should be an adjuster nut on the clutch lever that may help. Here is a photo of the brake, would be the same for the clutch.

That's for the distance of the level from the hand grip. Every bike I've ever ridden with a hydraulic clutch has that feel. If you are adapting off a different bike, you'll relearn that one in about 3-400 miles. No big deal.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:26 AM
Squid

I flushed the dirty clutch fluid today, and bled it properly. This didn't help my concern regarding the clutch lever engagement point.

I am comming from another bike. Actually, I also have an '07 Buell XB12s Lightning too.
xb12s007.jpg?t=1210083924
http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n...Buell%20XB12s/
It has a cable clutch, and the distance between the Clutch Lever/Grip and Friction Zone is both adjustable.

On my Superhawk, starting off from stopped in first gear with the clutch lever pulled all the way in, the gears don't engage until the lever is almost fully released. Do you think I am due for new clutches?

Has anyone heard of a clutch cable conversion kit or an adjustable master cylinder, so I have more room for adjustments?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
So on that blast there does it come with a pair of asbestos pants ? pipes
look like knee burners.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:05 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Jaybird,

This is a common characteristic of a Honda hydraulic clutch. It is self-adjusting. Changing out the clutch plates, discs, and springs may change it some but don't expect a huge difference.

How the clutch has been used, abused and/or improper oils determine it's life. The only way to know is to pull it out, inspect, and measure. On a long and safe stretch of road, put it 6th at 50mph and give it full throttle. Acceleration and rpm should remain constant. If bike gains rev's but acceleration slows or remains constant, then clutch is worn.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Flatlander
Squid

flatlander is on a distinguished road
Looks like you found a great deal there Jaybird. You've got my favorite pipes: Yoshi carbon lowmounts, wish I had those. Anyway, about the only thing the Shawk and RC51 have in common are the fact that they are both Vtwin sportbikes. Completely different engines and chassis. The RC51 is a hardcore sportbike/repliracer and the Shawk doesn't like to fit into a certain category, which is part of why I like it so much, but less performance that the RC.

As for the clutch, thats kinda how my '98 acts as well. But in the pics it looks like the clutch fluid level may be low. And the brake fluid is quite dark. I would start by bleeding them.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:05 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
not too bad of a deal for what it is. i got my '98 with just under 13k miles for $3k. its not in as good of physical condition though. how do you like your buell? ive always wanted to ride that specific bike, they look badass!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Squid

I like my Buell Lightning with the exception of high speed handling. I just doesn't handle like a real sportbike. Otherwise, I love that sexy thang. That's why I just bought my Superhawk.

The pipes on the Superhawk are not as loud as I expected they'd be. The Yosh pipes on it are probably quieter than the Buell's V-Twin stock. But I'll probably just deal with it.

I know my clutch is not slipping, but I didn't know if worn clutch plates would cause my engaging position. Maybe i'll take it to a dealer and see what they think.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Squid

Does anyone have an answer? I thought this was the baddest Superhawk Forum ever? haha
Old 05-08-2008, 04:54 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
JayBird, I bought my SH last year. It's a 2000, had 5,600mi and was completely stock in excellent condition. Paid $3,500. I'd say with the mods to yours, you got a good deal. Just my $.02.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:06 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Every bike with a hydraulic clutch I have ridden has this characteristic... Not specific to Honda for all I know...

The only way to adjust it woul be an adjustable M/C as you said... ISR makes good ones, pricey, but good...
Old 05-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
Hi Jaybird, welcome to Honda Superhawk Forum. That is not a bad deal at all especially now w/living standard in USA.