General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Just bought a Superhawk, pick it up tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Squid

khanawalt is on a distinguished road
Just bought a Superhawk, pick it up tomorrow.

I got a '98 Superhawk for $3K from some cute chick. Took me a week to convince the wife that I needed it. 15K miles, hasn't been down, has cans (or maybe full exhaust--I'm not positive,) been jetted, chin fairing. I've never ridden one, but I love the way they sound. It'll be like riding a Ducati without losing an arm and a leg for valve adjustments and other maintenance.

Yeah, I've read a lot of things about how the Superhawk is really a sport-tourer, how the only REAL V-twin Honda sportbike is an RC51, but hey, I'm almost 50, and comfort has it's advantages. Compared to my current sportbike it'll be a featherweight.

I have an '85 VF1000R (see avatar) that I really enjoy, and it also sounds great. Very distinctive, not like the run-of-the-mill inline fours out there. I'll be keeping it. Even though it has solid handling and tons of low-end, it's a heavy pig. Ever since Superhawks came out I've wanted one. I would've preferred a blue one, but they're newer and pricier. So I got a red one. More Ducati-esque, I suppose.

I'll be rumbling home on it tomorrow night. Looking forward to reading and posting in the future.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:32 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome aboard!! I'm sure you'll love the new bike, I have loved mine for the last 7 years now slowly making it more of my own along the way. I love that VF you've got, my buddy had one just like it and I had the model before that, nothing like the sound of the V4 almost like a Ferrari. I'd have to say it's my 2nd favorite exhaust sound to the sound of the SH.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:39 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Another member here has a vf1000r. Right after I wrecked my 98 a vf came up on the local CL and I really didn't know much about them. I wrote to hrc and he said just about everything you did - especially the heavy part. You'll love your new Superhawk after riding the vf but I'm glad you're keeping it. At least the heat part of it won't be as big for you being in CO. I'm in Central Texas and I was afraid the only time I could ride it was in the winter. Congrats on the new bike. You're not the only 50ish member around here so don't let all these kids have all the fun!
Old 03-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Ah, another Vf1000r owner ! Alright ! Nice avatar . I know from experience wheeling the old VFR takes just the right touch ....as big & heavy as they are! Even after buying the Superhawk I still couldnt bring myself to part with my HONDASAURUS REX as I call it . If you are like me you are going to love the Superhawk ! After riding the Vf you are going to think you are on a Moto Gp bike ! The handling , the stopping power (even in stock form) and the low end power is so much better . Amazing what 17 years of engineering can do for a bike . Welcome to the Forum ......and when you get a chance post some pics of your VFR in the Gallery ( there is not to many around anymore that are still rideable ) Here is a pic of mine by the way . https://www.superhawkforum.com/galle...user/1478/sl/h IMO one of the best looking Hondas to come out of the 80s
Old 03-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Congrats!! Take lots of pics, of both, You are about to hit you second childhood with this thing....Welcome
Old 03-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Squid

khanawalt is on a distinguished road
Rode the bike around in the daylight today.

I picked it up Wednesday night after dark. A friend went with me to drive my car home, then I was to take him home, but the Superhawk ran out of gas on the way home. The thought crossed my mind to gas up before leaving town, but the light hadn't come on yet and it was only 10 miles or so. I checked the tripmeter, and it said 117 mi. during the final test ride, but I didn't know if she zeroed it upon fill-up or not.

Light doesn't work. Ran out halfway home in the middle of farmland on a cold, windy night. And my friend didn't see me standing alongside the road in the dark when he passed, so I dug out my cellphone & called him to come back, get me, take me home to get gas can, etc.... ran out at 125 miles.

Today, gassed up, rode to town to get some wedge convex mirrors to put in that spot that just shows your armpits so I can see to the side better. Couple of wheelies, no clutch needed. My VF1000R needs a dropped clutch to do that. Sounds sweet.

I thought my VF1000R was torquey (and it is) but this thing is far better. Way faster than my VF. Feels very nimble too. Need to look for tires soon though. I suppose that rear tire is gonna be more expensive than that 140 tire on the VF1000R. Hey, 140 was HUGE in 1985.

Ordered APE manual cam chain tensioners, service manual (shoot, that reminds me, I need an owner's manual too) MotoGP Apex jacket, helmet, magnetic tankbag. This things sucking money almost as badly as my wife does! <grin>

But the best thing about it so far (haven't had it in the mountains yet) is that angelic audio. Well, angelic may not be descriptive. Monster-like is more like it. But a friendly, fun-loving monster. Always liked those Ducati Monsters.

It's possible that is has been down, since the rear subframe looks to be slightly tweaked, so I may try and straighten it a little with this nifty bending tool my brother bought to bend his bent motorcycles back into shape. He bent his V-Strom bag mounts back after his nasty crash, and fixed his son's bent handlebars. The thing works quite well. I'd like the pipes and tailsection to be symmetrical for those who get to see it as it quickly shrinks into the distance...

No scratches on the plastic from being down though, so maybe somebody replaced the plastic. I'm lovin' the bike, though. My brother, whom I've been after to put cans on his V-Strom so it won't sound like a Briggs & Stratton, might actually be convinced to spend the $500 now that he's heard the 'Hawk.