General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Just bought an RC51!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Squid

miken996
Just bought an RC51!!!

Well after about 3 1/2 years on my superhawk and 4 bikes later I finally bought the bike I have always wanted but have been wherry. 02 RC51 and I love it I still have the superhawk but I may be selling it not sure yet I commute and I have no problems on it at all have had it for about 2 months now. I'm puzzled that I can last longer in the saddle of my RC51 than I can on my superhawk I think because maybe the seat is to soft on the superhawk and my *** is the first thing to go. As for power well It didn't have as much low end grunt as my superhawk but that was until I added a 520 conversion with -1 +3 and a new set of ss yosh pipes and the bike pulls like a son of bitch in all gears all the way to red line its a rush and has surprised me several times already I live at altitude so this gearing set up isn't as extreme a set up as it would be at sea level the suspension and handling is way better gas mileage ah who cares not a lot better. The bike gets dam hot gentleman and I mean hot!!! and the mirrors shake to much, and I don't like the instrument cluster its a bit cheesy. fuel injection is awesome not near as notchy as my superhawk down low much smoother even without a PCIII but still can be notchy. The fuel injection was not hard at all to get used to. And guess what NO CAM CHAIN TENTIONERS!!!!! the gear driven cams sound awesome. the bike has a trunk for storage as well its huge. The 51 just looks so much better than the superhawk when their right next to each other. The superhawk has been a great bike but a little disappointing sometimes bent valves, new cam chain tensioners a few coolant leaks here and their stress cracks in fairings and CARBS. On thing that impressed me with the RC51 is how dog-on reliable this machine is time will tell I guess in my situation about 4 years ago at a local bike shop they had a 2000 RC51 for sale it had 50,000 miles on it I'm thinkin alright this may be my chance to own one they cant be asking a whole lot for that bike had some scratches stock pipes, pited headlights and a tear in the seat and they still wanted 6800 for it WOW!! at least I stuck with a honda twin I will never own a in line again ever. I have ridden the latest and greatest liter bikes and 600s a kawi 636 just recently yikes just not my cup of tea. Not thinking my wife is gonna let me hang on to both though and to be totally honest with you I have not taken my superhawk out since I have had my 51 that's how much I like it. But that is just my option certainly others will think different. Its funny people that own RC51s bitch just as much as superhawk owners for Honda not updating their product this was a grip of mine for a long time about the superhawk and I even bashed honda a little in a post I submitted a while back about can a updated superhawk coexists with a RC51. Its funny Their new CBR1000 hasn't won anything and the debut of the RC51 swept daytona in 2000 and it didn't stop their as we all know. Maybe Honda should rethink their v twin in line4 delima if ducati can stay competitve so can honda. Who knows with 4 more years of additional R&D I would be willing to bet the RC51 could be as fast as the ducati and the current crops of 4 bangers and probably out handle them as well. Honda just has done nothing performance wise since 2002 except make it heavier and yes that's right the all to familiar color change DAMIT HONDA YOUR KILLEN ME!!! HONDA TWINS ROCK!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:12 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
dont wanna burst your bubble but the cbr1000rr has done quite well in racing... I however agree that another new twin would be nice
Old 08-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Squid

miken996
Rc51

Originally Posted by EngineNoO9
dont wanna burst your bubble but the cbr1000rr has done quite well in racing... I however agree that another new twin would be nice
the CBR has done well yes but not as good as the RC51 did with such little development and in as little of time. its got a long way to go if your not racing in moto GP. have you watched any AMA or World Superbike their getting shellacked by Suzuki in AMA and Ducati and Suzuki in World and this is its 2 year of development as Suzuki stepped it up to compete against all the new liter bikes that came out in 2004 the 2005 Suzuki is a new machine that kicks the CBR'S *** all over the track. And not to take anything away from Nikki Hayden but ist because the M1 yamaha that Rossi rides is a POS that hayden may win moto gp this year.Although props the the Honda crew for reliablity and nikki taking advantage when he needed to by being consistant all year. On the other hand they never raced the RC51 in moto GP!!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Don't forget that in WSBK, the Suzukis are running a TCS that, while not as advanced as the Ducati team (and their other advantages), still works better than the one in Honda and Kawasaki (ie, NONE). I could not hazard a guess to the AMA Suzuki team's successes, but whatever they put into American Honda's drinks sure is working.

The RC51 is not allowed in MotoGP since it's not a prototype motorcycle. Perhaps you knew this already, but just to clarify the point (or would that be beating the dead horse?).

In the end, CONGRATULATIONS on your purchase!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Squid

miken996
Originally Posted by marmaladeboy
Don't forget that in WSBK, the Suzukis are running a TCS that, while not as advanced as the Ducati team (and their other advantages), still works better than the one in Honda and Kawasaki (ie, NONE). I could not hazard a guess to the AMA Suzuki team's successes, but whatever they put into American Honda's drinks sure is working.

The RC51 is not allowed in MotoGP since it's not a prototype motorcycle. Perhaps you knew this already, but just to clarify the point (or would that be beating the dead horse?).

In the end, CONGRATULATIONS on your purchase!
Yes I knew that, what I was, I guess tring to imply is maybe Honda could have taken more of a ducati approach when it came to moto gp and who knows mabye still had the sucsess it had in wsbk, and ama. Im sure the result would have been better than what their getting with the CBR. INMO!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:00 AM
SuperBike

in motogp the honda is hands down the best bike out there. The yamaha is quite good and Rossi is going to put up a big fight on pretty much any bike regardless if it's the best or not. For some reason though he's having tons of bad luck but Edwards has not. So it's not just a poor bike that's the issue... Also when you're looking at the rc51 accomplishments you're only looking at a certain genre. the 1000rr in all types of racing has done extremely well. I'm not going to get into all of its highlights but it is by no means a poor bike.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Squid

miken996
in motogp the honda is hands down the best bike out there. The yamaha is quite good and Rossi is going to put up a big fight on pretty much any bike regardless if it's the best or not. For some reason though he's having tons of bad luck but Edwards has not. So it's not just a poor bike that's the issue... Also when you're looking at the rc51 accomplishments you're only looking at a certain genre. the 1000rr in all types of racing has done extremely well. I'm not going to get into all of its highlights but it is by no means a poor bike.
I will not ague that point but lets not talk Moto GP right now CBR1000rr is a new machine much like the RC51 was. Honda has not really had a true racing 1000cc bike that competed professionally the 954rr became 1000rr with some bits from the rc211v the rc45 which was a 750 v4 (a one off racer with very little changed from racer to steet version can sell for 25,000 if you can fine one and very few made) was what the RC51 derived from so both machines were untested totally new to racing. all I'm saying is the RC51 did better in its run in much shorter time than has the CBR and still has accomplished more. thats a fact anyway you slice it why I do not know It seems to me that mabye honda builds better liter twins than liter inline 4s. the 954 did win a formula extreme but not real impressive pedigree cbr929 whats a 929 oh they never raced it and what did the cbr900 do humm when you think honda racing haritage CBR does not come to mind but RC does. I just don't under stand why a full factor team with quality riders is not even in the top five (I don't even think in the top ten in both wsbk and ama) with a bike that has a year of development on a totally new 05 suzuki, and ducati is all over them as well even kawis giving them all they can handle. Just wait until yamaha comes to the ama next year with a full factory bike and rider!!! Honda better figure it out and fast because in my opinion their running out of excuses. Any ways I don't what this to turn into a flame job on the history of motorcycle racing my views were mixed on the 51 but all those things I posted in earlier post were basically me not really knowing the truth about the 51 and defending the superhawk while the superhawk is a awesome bike after riding the RC51 my views have changed and I can see why this bike was such an amazing machine!!! I'm not sure I can part with my superhawk though. sheesh its not like I bought a tl1000r guys cut me some slack!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:52 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Funny. I bought an '02 RC51. Kept it and the VTR for about 2 years. Then bought a 1000RR and never, yes folks, you heard right, NEVER rode the RC51 again. I had lots of upgrades on that bike - flapper mod, soft rev limiter mod, Harris Ti high pipes, PCIIIR, Carrozeria Wheels, gearing, etc and compared to the 1000RR it sucked as a street bike. It was heavy, lacked power, is expensive to mod, ran hot even with my modded fans, and something about the FI made it buck between 1500-2000 rpm at constant throttle. I loved it at the track but just hated the thing riding back and forth to work in traffic.

Word of advice - keep the VTR until you get some miles on the bike.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:00 AM
Squid

miken996
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Funny. I bought an '02 RC51. Kept it and the VTR for about 2 years. Then bought a 1000RR and never, yes folks, you heard right, NEVER rode the RC51 again. I had lots of upgrades on that bike - flapper mod, soft rev limiter mod, Harris Ti high pipes, PCIIIR, Carrozeria Wheels, gearing, etc and compared to the 1000RR it sucked as a street bike. It was heavy, lacked power, is expensive to mod, ran hot even with my modded fans, and something about the FI made it buck between 1500-2000 rpm at constant throttle. I loved it at the track but just hated the thing riding back and forth to work in traffic.

Word of advice - keep the VTR until you get some miles on the bike.
again agreed my buddies R1 feels like a Mercedes compared to my RC51 as you know the RC51 stopped development in 02 I wonder if you would feel the same about the RC51 with a stock 140hp at the wheel and a redesigned cooling system and improved suspension which I believe could have been in the cards if not for the CBR. Im 31 and not into to much comfort yet I love the racey feel of the RC51. I dont think its to uncomfortable and I have ridden alot trust me but yes your CBR1000 will be much more comfortable.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:36 AM
Superstock

denmah
pics!?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:43 AM
SuperBike

honestly I'm not sure why you think the 1000rr took development away from the rc51. the 1000rr happened because that was the trend of liter bikes and it is the flagship bike for honda. it went from the 900rr, to the 929rr, the 954rr, and now the 1000rr. I like the motor for the rc51 and the suspension, but personally I think they're ugly... I'd like a new v-twin to be released that uses the vtr platform and has more power but let's face it, v-twins don't sell as well
Old 08-02-2006, 06:29 AM
Squid

miken996
honestly I'm not sure why you think the 1000rr took development away from the rc51. the 1000rr happened because that was the trend of liter bikes and it is the flagship bike for honda. it went from the 900rr, to the 929rr, the 954rr, and now the 1000rr. I like the motor for the rc51 and the suspension, but personally I think they're ugly... I'd like a new v-twin to be released that uses the vtr platform and has more power but let's face it, v-twins don't sell as well
It took development away because they don't race it any more much like the way the 51 took develompent from the superhawk. all money is going into thier current racer. points well taken though about vtwins don't sell that well and its a shame. and as for the looks well their is a lot of people that still prefer the looks of the RC51 when compaired to the latest crop I get comments all the time more than any other bike I have owned. even over my buddies 06 R1 looks are very subjective.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:40 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Well since you live at altitude, I can certainly see why you luv the FI and on almost all points it's superior to carbs but..... There's always a but isn't there?

Carbs typically die a slow death so you can at least limp home but FI can just flat out stop working. Of course, it's when you are in the middle of nowhere. :-(

Yup, I too lust for the youger, sexier sister some times! Enjoy.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:53 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
Do you know of any fourms for the RC51?

I got one over the winter and am concerned about how hot it gets.

Good luck with it!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:59 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Lefin102
Do you know of any fourms for the RC51?

!
http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/
Old 08-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Back Marker

Jake D is on a distinguished road
I was wanting an RC51 as my next bike. This sort of concerns me about it beging so damn hot. The SH is hot enough.
But screw it. In a couple years, I'll still probably get an RC51.

Congrats! Now post some pics!
Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by miken996
again agreed my buddies R1 feels like a Mercedes compared to my RC51 as you know the RC51 stopped development in 02 I wonder if you would feel the same about the RC51 with a stock 140hp at the wheel and a redesigned cooling system and improved suspension which I believe could have been in the cards if not for the CBR. Im 31 and not into to much comfort yet I love the racey feel of the RC51. I dont think its to uncomfortable and I have ridden alot trust me but yes your CBR1000 will be much more comfortable.

Well, my RC51 had 129 rwhp with the pipes and PC3. That's about 20 off the 1000RR and you really can feel it. One of the things that made me decide to buy the RR (aside from a test ride) was a side-by-side roll on from about 50mph on the highway. The RR just walked, and walked, and then ran away.

I never said there was anything at all wrong with the suspension on the RC. As a matter of fact it's one of the few bikes I've ever owned that I did NOT do any suspension work to. I just set it up for my weight and rode it. I also never thought the bike was uncomfortable. Oh yeah, I had a Sargent seat too. Bought that like a week after I got the bike, so I could practically ride all day.

I dunno, the bike just didn't do it for me. Maybe in retrospect I shoulda kept it. One of the things that I remembered that bothered me was the Harris exhaust and how loud it was. Those and the Satos are pretty much the only ones that you get good gains from....and maybe the Arata too. I picked up ~12hp from them. Anything quieter and I'd have given up about 6hp. I didn't want to do that, plus didn't want to lose my *** on the $900 I spent on 'em.

Oh well, I'm pretty happy now. I'm still working on suspension on the CBR. Believe it or not, I'm using the Superhawk as the handling benchmark for the RR. Comfort, agility, steering quickness, confident feeling are all better on my VTR. I've done some work on the forks and have an Elka shock on the RR, so I need to have the Elka sent out for another revalve and maybe invest in some cartridges for the forks.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point
as well as the RC51?
in the 3 years the RC51 raced, it won an AMA superbike title, a WSBK title, and a shitload of races. The CBR1000 has been racing for 3 years now, and has won no titles, and only a handful of races worldwide.
As a streetbike, it is a great machine(if a little much for the street), as a racebike, it is playing catchup.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
The RC51 and the CBR1000RR are both great bikes, the CBR is a newer design and is a better bike in most respects IMO. JIM
Old 08-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I just love twins to death. Congrats on the RC.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Squid

miken996
thanks guys I really do love the bike their are definite things that could be improved heck I forgot to mention I could have bought anything I had 7500 to spend. I pick the RC51 and used the rest for pipes 520 chain kit and sprockets and a speedo healer to keep me in good with mister cop. I just get sick of being just like everyone that's one reason I loved the superhawk and the 919 no one had one its kind of the same with the RC51 their in a sense rare and I like that. Yes the RC51 gets hot the cooling system sucks the superhawk runs cool compared to it however its only a bother when its over 90 imo as the full fairing keeps all that heat in and it just radiates up to your nuts and arms. Its funny when people tell me the RC51 is down on power no SH--t, is a 06 ducati 999r down on power well maybe when you talk professional racing (hence the new 1200cc rule change) however on the showroom floor for you and I to buy, well I just have a hard time saying a 06 999r is down on power. I truly believe this is a moot point and I will tell you why, Honda has done nothing to the motor or suspension since 02 period this should be no surprise to anyone. In no way shape or form am I going to keep up with a CBR1000rr anywhere in the power band roll-on or what ever I know this and so should everyone else comparison on 04 liter bikes and newer is ridiculous as 2004 saw the biggest jump in liter bike performance for the street ever seen, bikes were finally exceeding riders capabilities. So with that said if honda (HRC) continued development with the RC51 up to 06 hell look at all the changes they made just after 2 years, I would have to believe it would be right on tap with the power of a stock 06 ducati 999r 140hp which has a role on from 60-80 in 2.9 seconds and a quarter mile of 10.3 seconds that's 3 tenths off the pace of a 06 R1 and just as fast as the CBR1000rr, huu I guess its not down on power anymore. the RC51 isn't build anymore to race against anything newer than 02. the RC51 was built to primarily dethrone the dominant raining ducati in wsbk and it did just that, and had probably had some unexpected surprises in the ama championship(daytona 1,2,3) and of course suzuka which was a bonus for honda. there for a comparison power wise to anything newer is stupid and a obvious outcome the RC51 will lose every time. CBR came and stopped the RC51 development dead in its tracks so I will pose the question again would you buy a stock 140hp improved suspended lighter and cooler running RC51 over a same year I-4, I would you bet. Even in the RC51s old outdated state it is still competitive in the right hands against the current I-4s not because of its power but its overbuild chassis, awesome brakes, and rock solid stability. All of which can be made even better with aftermarket parts. 140hp stock with a good set of slip ons pcIII and a good map could get you in the neighborhood of 150hp at the wheel, what do you know all of the sudden the RC51 isn't as slow as it was in 2002 and a much better and more realistic competitor against the newer bikes. The ducati 999r is a perfect example of what the RC51 might be like if they still were developing. the 999r is a dam good enough and fast enough bike to get the job done!!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Superstock

denmah
less bitching more pictures people.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Squid

miken996
Originally Posted by denmah
less bitching more pictures people.
Ya Ill post some pics I just need to investigate how!!
Old 08-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Originally Posted by miken996
...Yes the RC51 gets hot the cooling system sucks the superhawk runs cool compared to it however its only a bother when its over 90 imo as the full fairing keeps all that heat in and it just radiates up to your nuts and arms...
Find a fan from your local bike yard and see about grafting the fan onto your RC51 fan backwards, so that it blows OUT. Both fans blow in stock. Why? I have no idea, but it's dumb. At 20mph in rush hour traffic you'll create a dead spot where there will be NO airflow across the radiators and it will continue to get hotter and hotter until you hit 250, where the gauge will start blinking at you. I did this mod to my RC to get some cross flow at least and never had the problem again. It takes some ingenuity but it's possible. Or alternatively, if you can figure out how to get the fans to work in the opposite direction that'll work as well. Maybe swapping the wires in the connectors will work, but I don't know enough about the specific kind of DC motor that's used to tell you if it'll work. I'd think it would, actually.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:42 PM
Squid

miken996
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Find a fan from your local bike yard and see about grafting the fan onto your RC51 fan backwards, so that it blows OUT. Both fans blow in stock. Why? I have no idea, but it's dumb. At 20mph in rush hour traffic you'll create a dead spot where there will be NO airflow across the radiators and it will continue to get hotter and hotter until you hit 250, where the gauge will start blinking at you. I did this mod to my RC to get some cross flow at least and never had the problem again. It takes some ingenuity but it's possible. Or alternatively, if you can figure out how to get the fans to work in the opposite direction that'll work as well. Maybe swapping the wires in the connectors will work, but I don't know enough about the specific kind of DC motor that's used to tell you if it'll work. I'd think it would, actually.
Thanks Ill see what I can do I did wired up a manual switch for the fans so I can turn them on earlier and it dosnt effect my factory setting if I dont use it. . I'm going to try reversing polarity on one fan and leaving the other as is and see what happens this weekend its supposed to be in the 90s. thankyou for the advise!!