General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

hello new to sportbikes just bought a 99 superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 07:34 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
hello new to sportbikes just bought a 99 superhawk

just wanted to say hello, an somewhat older rider here @ 49. had many bikes (mostly dirt and some road), but just fell in love with the sound and looks of this superhawk. Paid 2500. for it and yeah it has its problems. seems the previous owner dropped it and scuffed it up a little ( not bad cept for the tank is dented pretty good) looks like I am gonna have to find a yellow replacement tank for the ol girl, also the rear brake lever is cracked. whats the average price or even availablity for these (what would you do ) I guess is what I am asking.
As I just perchased the bike and it was raining I loaded it up and have yet to actually ride it (maybe tomorrow weather permitting) and see how it feels on one of these lol. Anticipation !!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Squid

grasshoppermouse is on a distinguished road
just ride it

I'd leave the tank alone as long as it doesn't leak.

Ride it a while before investing in cosmetics.

comfort and sound are more important and urgent than curb appeal

As dirt biker you may enjoy it more with supebike bars.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:56 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

would cept it is a fist size dent in it (as these tanks are small to begin with) seriously would effect fuel range lol
Old 06-27-2011, 07:44 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
tough to find good used tanks in a particular color. Consider finding any that works and have it painted.

Keep an eye on ebay. often there are parts that pop up from those parting out bikes.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and plan a trip to Road Atlanta with a company such as STT. Getting these bikes on the track for a fun day will help you understand what sport bikes are meant for. It did for me and I'm addicted!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:03 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

thanks I will keep that in mind . First just getting used to it in the little runs around home and town, venturing out a little farther each time lol. probably a liitle of a worrywart as yet (due to mostly unfamilliar operational sounds of this bike IE rattles, etc. not sure about a lot of it yet. Still trying to get more money saved up to get it serviced as I know little about working on it yet (i do read the tech forums here and a lot of it is cool, however actually digging into the bike is a whole nother story that I am skiddish about lol). does need a full service and tune-up as well as new tires. Last owner did absolutely notta in this respect ( however on his behalf I will add he only had put 2000 miles on it and didn't own it long ) a college guy 21yo. same age as my son (whom wouldn't know to check oil lol). I am still looking in the forums to gleem tidbits here and there on things like tires/ oil/ noises/ rpm ranges etc. wishing there as someone closer to check it out who has one of these. However seems around here these are rare and a lot of guys ask me about it or come up to me and say "man I love your bike" lol
Old 06-28-2011, 07:33 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Welcome!

Oh to be only 49 again... but then I wouldn't be retired and able to ride the twisties whenever I want., like the last 2 days.

These bikes sound like a sewing machine with stock exhaust, a lot of whining and high pitched screeching... that's normal. However some noises are not, such as rhythmic ticking which could be loose valves.

As for their rarity, I've seen no more than 20 other Superhawks since I bought mine 6 years ago. And I've seen about 2000 Ducati's in that same time period.

Stay safe and enjoy the torque!

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 06-28-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:14 AM
Squid

b1m3x8 is on a distinguished road
Welcome, your bike looks nice in your avatar!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:30 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the carnival.

49 years old, huh? That means you graduated high school the same year that Reagan won his first term as President...your not that old...
Old 06-29-2011, 08:25 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the mix sharpman.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:39 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
A very smart purchase. After years of riding CBRs I jumped on one of these as soon as I could. BEST BIKE EVER.

Look on ebay for the brake lever, also post a WTB notice on here. Dont ride it with a ? as to whether the rear brake is there, you could die that way.
Ditto on the tank, yellow is more rare so maybe a different color or fix the dent + paint it.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:56 AM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Aloha, And Welcome to the Forum! Lots of Very Knowledgable and Informed Riders here.
I have learned alot and am still learning. Also lots of good deals come up for replacement and spare parts should you need them. Do searches for questions you have
There is a wealth of knowledge here. Ride Well and Enjoy!
Old 06-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Back Marker

CascadeRider is on a distinguished road
Welcome, wsharpman!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:03 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Uh, yeah, welcome. Welcome to the geriatric ward of the sport bike geezer hostel. Forty nine? Why, when I was forty nine I was just figuring out that old age and treachery will overcome youth and talent every time.

I will crank past sixty this year and am still exploring the last quarter turn of my throttle whilst dreading getting noticed by the LEOs. 'Course the last one to pull me over declined to write the citation and instead just told me that I was to old to do that sh*t.

Forty nine with a sport bike. The best is yet to come. Trust me on that.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:13 PM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Dang, there's a lot of us old guys riding hawks. what does that say?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Back Marker

Tormoz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
Dang, there's a lot of us old guys riding hawks. what does that say?
That we're survivors? Early 50's here ... witness my avatar: roadracing a 1976 Kawasaki Z2 (yes, Z2, the Japan-only 750 version of the for-export Z1 900 cc).

No more road racing for me, but I sure get a kick out of occasionally rolling on the throttle and feeling the front wheel hover in the air for a couple seconds. I honestly can't recall a bike that's been as fun to ride as my Superhawk -- and I've had a lot of bikes.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:54 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

thanks guys... makes me feel better, thought I was out of place for a while there as to my age lmao (due to all I see riding the sportsbikes around are 20yo's lol) good to know us ol' coots tool around as well.
turn 50 in july (whew its close). feel lucky tho as I still have full head of dark hair and a wolverine mutton (no grey yet) of course those dern wrinkles are sneaking up on me..figured the sport bike cruising would smooth those out NO???? lmao

been checking e-bay for the tanks to pop up but lordy never thought they would be that expensive when I looked , same goes for front tires @@@@ they want a fortune for these tires and mount them. Oh well guess I will just have to save up for a while. (too many other bills to keep at bay + a vacation cumming up in a month)

oh and for the rear brake lever it is cracked , however is still strong and works just keeping an eye out for 1 to replace it when I can.
Wes

Last edited by wsharpman; 06-29-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:16 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the site!
Old 07-01-2011, 02:29 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

find myself lately just searching my brain for reasons to go out on it lol. But not very far yet due to need to get a front tire, getting one here in town $165 mounted and balanced a dunlop.

just got my q2 radials mounted ahh so much better a ride *(happy) first thing I noticed was that it leaned so good and flicked great, second was those annoying cracks running down the roads in the left line of travel on the lanes my new tires weren't following no more v'd tires lol

Last edited by wsharpman; 07-13-2011 at 03:17 PM.