Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

How to tell if jet kit was installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Squid

awg13 is on a distinguished road
How to tell if jet kit was installed

Recently bought a 98' Superhawk with 14k miles on it after getting rear-ended on a Katana 600. Took it to the local shop to look over it, but wanted over $1800 to fix carbs, adjust valves, and flush all the fluids. I told them to put the bike together and I would look at it myself. They claim bike is running on one cylinder, carbs are all messed up and may need jet kit if not one installed. I find their diagnosis crap, the bike runs like a raped ape! However, it does occasionally backfire around 3000 rpms. My question is how do I know if carbs are jetted, and if so what stage is it set up for? It has Jardine cans on it, so I would bet it is, but not sure. Also, how would I tell for certain if firing on one cylinder?

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:22 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
open em up
Old 07-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
clips on needles, drilled slides
Old 07-26-2010, 06:51 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
First thing you need to do is get a repair manual for the bike. The easiest way to know if the carbs are jetted is if it has an adjustable needle. They are easy to get to, get the tank and the airbox off then pull the round black plastic caps off the tops of the carbs. Underneath those should be a big spring and a rubber diaphragm connected to a black plastic slide. Pull out the diaphragm/slide and at the end of the slide is the needle. Carefully take the needle out of the slide, noting the orientation of the washers. If it has different slots for a little c-clip then it likely has a jet kit in it. Your carbs may be out of sync too. If the bike is on one cylinder it won't hold a good idle, it'll sound like a dirt bike and it'll have almost no power and vibrate like a harley.

Seriously, get a repair manual and you should be able to do all the stuff the shop was going to do. Even if you have to buy $1,700 in tools you'll still be ahead
Old 07-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
oooh, 1700 in tools, drool.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:41 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Welcome! I got rear ended as well, last March. Totaled my SuperHawk, but I had it repaired plus some out of pocket. I had Yoshimura slip-ons installed to replace the destroyed stock cans. I had already done a .020" needle shim, and I installed 48 pilot (slow) jets after getting the slip-ons.

As said above, you need to check out the carbs. Occasional carb backfires at 3000 rpm is what I was experiencing before I did the needle shim. There's a lot of info on the Forum concerning carbs.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Squid

awg13 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the prompt replies. The shop will hopefully have the bike back together tmw and then I can take a look at it. I have a manual for the bike so I think I should hopefully figure things out along with the gracious help from everyone on here. Like I said before, I had a Katana 600 and belonged to the Katriders forum, which was invaluable in helping me figure out misc. wiring and carb problems. I look forward to getting to know everyone and maybe at some point offering suggestions instead of receiving them.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:54 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Mine started running on 1 cylinder several months ago during a ride (38,000 miles on the odometer). It had no power, and to keep it running at red lights I had to hold it up at about 2k to 3k rpm. After limping home, I pulled the carbs apart and found a plugged pilot jet in #2 carb. Cleaned everything out, and it ran like new again.

My point is that if your bike was running like you said, it was running on both cylinders. Just wanted to let you know.