Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

How can I tell if I have a jet kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
How can I tell if I have a jet kit?

I bought my bike used last spring. I am the third owner. The guy I bought it from saiad he got it for a guy that had a new bike every couple months or so, and usually did alot of work on them. It had Erion slip ons, now cut down.. How would I know if it had a jet kit installed? The guy I bought it from didnt have the slightest about the bike. He just bought it and rode it.. lol.. 300 miles in 4 years.

I have access to a dyno. (buddy owns a bike shop) I dont want to ask him and seem like a rube.. Like to know how I can do it myself.

Thanks.

Cleve-
Old 03-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
The easiest way to find out is to pull one of the needles out. If it has notches and a C-clip then it's aftermarket.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Kind of nervous about working on the carbs. I am mechanically incline, though not knowledgable. I was hoping for an answer more like "dyno it, and if the HP is xx-xxx then it probably has a jet kit, if its xx-xx then probably not"

That would easy my curiousity for now.. then when I got ambitous I could dig into the carbs...
Old 03-26-2007, 11:02 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
if it runs well, it won't matter either way. Just enjoy it till you have reason to get into the carbs. If its not running strongly throughout the low and midrange then maybe look further into it.

You could check the aircleaner as maintenance to see if that is stock - and then of course its only a short way further to the carbs - in fact you could remove the rear carb top probably with the airbox on and get a look at the needle as greg suggested.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:18 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
You can access the rear cylinder needle without pulling the carbs. Also, if the black plastic tube has a hole drilled in it, you'll know it's a dyno-jet kit.

Be REAL careful putting it back in to not damage the needle tip and/or rip/bind the diaphragm membrane as compressing the coil spring under the cap is a tad tricky.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:50 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Check the carb top screws for screwdriver damage on the unscrew side.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:02 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Yeah.. this is good, I hoped there to be some things to look for as evidence traces...

thanks guys.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:45 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gboezio
Check the carb top screws for screwdriver damage on the unscrew side.
HaHa. perhaps the best way of all to tell if the carbs have been opened. Does anyone know why the manufacturers persist with those awful screws?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:01 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Actually, I prefer the phillips screws over the socket heads. The torque is so light on those fasteners that it doesn't matter. I just find screwdrivers to be faster than an allen wrench. When you tweak a bunch this savings adds up!

As for not wanting to look like noob, just ask to have the bike dyno'd and play dumb. They should run an exhaust analyzer on it and will identify any problems with the jetting. Even with a jet kit installed it could still be off (and probably is). You are just checking it out in the condition you bought it, don't be embarrassed if it's not perfect. In fact, you can turn that around to your advantage by stating "I thought it was off." Ha!