Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

speedometer swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Fading Fast
Squid

alientestsubject is on a distinguished road
speedometer swap

has anyone swaped out the speedometer on an 03,04,05 superhawk? I dont think i need to say why im asking......
Old 05-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
if you did a search, you would have found that information. Try the search first.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...dometer+change
Old 05-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...earchid=593948

Several more... Not only to never VTR clusters, RC51 & CBR clusters works as well...
Old 05-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Fading Fast
Squid

Im a newbie, i know i can search for just about anything. but i would also like to get some personal feedback and suggestions. isn’t that what forums are set up for? bear with me on this, its all about the community to me.....
Old 05-14-2010, 09:30 AM
MotoGP

Well... I'm not busting your ***** here... Or atleast trying not to... But there is a difference between "has anyone swaped out the speedometer on an 03,04,05 superhawk? I dont think i need to say why im asking...... "

And "Hey guy's, what kind of gauge swap would you recommend, what are their different pro's and con's? I have read that it's possible to do CBR gauges and RC51 gauges, and there are numerous aftermarket gauges"

But, lets try it again... You did ask the second one right? (I'm getting old and senile, so bear with me...)

If you did, I will answear that the obviuous advantage of any DIY project over an aftermarket is the pride of having done it yourself, plus in most cases cost as a used gauge and some various small parts usualy is considerably cheaper than buying a complete aftermarket setup...

Since I'm guessing (your first post was a bit unclear on this) you have an older model VTR and want to swap in the newer gen? The speedo is a bit annoying on those as far as I'm concerned, with it beaing in an odd place and in an odd angle... But if you like it, the swap is easy... yuryur has made a fairly comprehensive manual...

I choose the CBR1000RR gauge, and apart from a mildly inaccurate temp sensor (which I think I have an easy solution for, I'll report in a while) that gauge is doing exactly what I want it too... The obvious downside of this is that the revcounter is a bit loongish, with the red in the wrong place... The easy fix is the set the shiftlight to go off at the redline of the stock speedo... All the CBR's have the temp gauge problem regarless of age 600F4i-600RR & 929-954-1000... The RC51 on the other hand uses the same resistance values as the VTR, so that's basicly plug and play...

Last edited by Tweety; 05-14-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:36 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
+1
But I am readind it a bit differently. I'm guessing he has a newer VTR and he doesn't like the small illegible speedo.
In any case details and delivery will help
Old 05-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Fading Fast
Squid

Originally Posted by Stevebis1
+1
But I am readind it a bit differently. I'm guessing he has a newer VTR and he doesn't like the small illegible speedo.
In any case details and delivery will help

Thats what i was talking about, the numbers are real small and the needle barely moves. i will pick my questions better and be more to the point. i guess thats why im a squid!
Old 05-14-2010, 12:11 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by alientestsubject
Thats what i was talking about, the numbers are real small and the needle barely moves. i will pick my questions better and be more to the point. i guess thats why im a squid!
Nah... Don't mind me... I have two default modes... I make fun of people (see above) Or I'm grumpy... So pick your poison...

So, I'm guessing the old type of gauges isn't an option, since they have several other flaws... So what types do you like?

The 1000RR gauges have a big tacho that really moves about...

And the digital speedo is reasonably big... The only thing it doesn't have is a fuelgauge but that can be fixed...
Old 05-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
[QUOTE=Tweety;265819]
I choose the CBR1000RR gauge, and apart from a mildly inaccurate temp sensor (which I think I have an easy solution for, I'll report in a while) that gauge is doing exactly what I want it too... The obvious downside of this is that the revcounter is a bit loongish, with the red in the wrong place... QUOTE]

Go on... Waiting to hear this part!!

Yeah, the tach can be decieving if you forget about it. I have wrapped her out a bit more then I intended on a few occassions before I remember the "top" is further down the gauge
Old 05-14-2010, 01:15 PM
MotoGP

Um... Give me a few days to test things and I'll fill you in...
Old 07-28-2010, 07:26 AM
Squid

heng47 is on a distinguished road
Don't mind if I bump this up. Tweety, did you ever get the temp gauge to work?