Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Hawk is pulling

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
Hawk is pulling

Yesterday I was out on the hawk. At first it felt solid as usual. Around noon I jump on the bike and as I go down the interstate the bike feels like it's going to slide out from under me. I look down and I can see the bike going wobbling from side to side. I was going around 65 mph and in either 5th or 6th gear.

At first it felt like a flat tire. I pulled to the shoulder checked the air pressure and it was fine 38 on the front and 40 on the rear. The bike never felt right all day. So on the way home the bike starts doing it again, it feels like it's going to slide out from under me. I parked it at in the garage and there it sits. I've got it on the rear stand and I borrowed a front one. The bike feels fine, any ideas what might be causing this?
Old 04-16-2008, 07:42 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
My first take on that feeling is tire pressure but you got that one covered. Maybe bearings/improper spacers or reversed spacers would be my next stop but these are very good bearings that last a long time. Get the spacers back in the right place. Lots of help in the online parts fiche for this. Leaky fork tube? Leaky caliper oiling down the brakes? Sudden failure in the neck bearings?

I doubt most all of the above. This is something stupid that is simple but has to be sniffed out and killed like a rat in the shop. Good Luck!

Last edited by nuhawk; 04-16-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Superstock

I thought about the fork oil also but there's no leakage anywhere
Old 04-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Check rear wheel alignment?
Old 04-16-2008, 07:54 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
can you describe it better. you're saying riding straight ahead on the interstate it feels like its going to 'slide out' from under you? and you can see it wobbling from side to side? that is bizarre. do you mean the front tire is wobbling - like a tankslapper? or the bike is weaving? were you on rain strips? I would also do a quick alignment check; measure the between fork distance from top to bottom is the same; be sure the swingarm bearings and head bearings are straight. Finally what is the wear on the tires?

but a better description would help. good luck

bill
Old 04-16-2008, 07:55 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Is it pulling to one side or just loose and wobbling? Off the top of my head I'd check rear wheel alingnment and axle nut torque. I'd make sure I had the preload and damping set exactly the same on each fork. If that all checks out I'd look at wheel bearings front and rear and steering head bearings.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Superstock

while going down the interstate I looked down at the gas tank and I can see the bike going from side to side kinda like a tank slap but my handlebars were solid, no vibration at all. It feels like being behind a semi and getting that turbulance they throw off but there were no semi's around while this happened. When I pulled off on the interstate the air was calm so no wind gust either. I also looked down through the front and at the forks and they were not wobbling. I thought there were grooves in the road but I drove it in my car and no grooves. It also happened on the street I live on which has that nice smooth surface and it still felt like it was going to slide out. Tomorrow I'll check the rear alignment. I'm really puzzled at what the heck this is.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:40 PM
MotoGP

Your rear tire is shot or vastly under inflated! Are you seeing in the front end what is only chasing the rear end to stay in front of it?

It's spring in Georgia, too! That means new tires for the Superhawk. And the Interceptor. And the Viper.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:40 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Sgt Rock
while going down the interstate I looked down at the gas tank and I can see the bike going from side to side kinda like a tank slap but my handlebars were solid, no vibration at all. It feels like being behind a semi and getting that turbulance they throw off but there were no semi's around while this happened. When I pulled off on the interstate the air was calm so no wind gust either. I also looked down through the front and at the forks and they were not wobbling. I thought there were grooves in the road but I drove it in my car and no grooves. It also happened on the street I live on which has that nice smooth surface and it still felt like it was going to slide out. Tomorrow I'll check the rear alignment. I'm really puzzled at what the heck this is.

Sounds like it's in the rear for sure. I had what sounds like the same symptoms on a Norton Commando when the shocks crapped out. Don't know if it would be the same on a single shock bike, but I'd check it. Only other thing not yet mentioned I can think of would be play between the swingarm and engine cases.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by RK1
Is it pulling to one side or just loose and wobbling? Off the top of my head I'd check rear wheel alingnment and axle nut torque.
+1
Old 04-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
This could be steering head bearings that are too tight also, or possibly dimpled races that are dimpled not quite at the center.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:40 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
This could be steering head bearings that are too tight also, or possibly dimpled races that are dimpled not quite at the center.
Would he be able to feel that if he raised the front end and moved the bars from centered to each lock?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:22 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
Take a look at the tires close to see if you have one that is starting to delaminated and forming an air bubble in it. I would also look at steering stem bearings. Move the bars several times. Since it sound like it is not a constant problem it could be that a bearing or two has a dimple and it could take a few trys untill the dimple in the bearing rolls back around to a spot that you would find it. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:50 AM
Superstock

thanks for all the advice guys I really appreciate it. I'll start with the rear tire tonight and will hopefully have the front completed by this weekend.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Superstock

I've taken the rear tire off and the only thing I've noticed is that there is some play inside the rim where the bolt run through. Is that normal? I'm pulling out the manual to start looking at it
Old 04-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road
My rear wheel bearing failed on the rotor side,causing a wandering feeling.I found it after mounting a new tire.You couldn't feel it by spinning the bearing with your finger,but when the wheel was mounted I could rock it side to side.I bought my bearings at a local bearing supply for about $7.50 each about half oem price. Hope this helps,Steve
Old 04-17-2008, 06:48 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I also had a rear wheel bearing rotor side crap out on me too. Oddly all of the other bearings were still in good shape.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
+1 on the wheel bearings...lateral play in wheel is bad me thinky
Old 04-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Superstock

I'm definately replacing the bearings whether they need them or not. The bikes a 2000 so it couldn't hurt.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:42 PM
MotoGP

If you've been wobbling around new spacers might be good too. Cheap while you're ordering other parts. My 02
Old 04-17-2008, 08:00 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Make sure Item number 11 isn't missing or gets left out by accident

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot.../m2912sch32831
Old 04-18-2008, 04:48 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Thumper
Make sure Item number 11 isn't missing or gets left out by accident

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot.../m2912sch32831
Had that happen to me once, bike wouldn't turn for crap.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:30 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I had this happen once on a Ozarks group ride on another bike. I, too, immediately pulled over and checked tire pressures. They were fine. I slowed down and cautiously continued on. It ended up being the road surface. It was sorta' like riding on a metal grated bridge if you know how that feels.

+1 on bearing since it repeated on you.

FWIW
Old 04-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Superstock

Well today I spent quite a bit of time on the back end of the bike. I have a feeling that the individual who put my rear tire on may have not tightened it how it needed to be. I checked everything out, put it all back together and did a test ride. The bike felt great, there was no pulling, swaying or that washout feeling. I'm still going to get the rear bearing replaced here in the next week since I'm in my maintenance phase right now. I'll keep this post updated as I swap parts out. thanks for all the input.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Back Marker

TheRezyReb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sgt Rock
Well today I spent quite a bit of time on the back end of the bike. I have a feeling that the individual who put my rear tire on may have not tightened it how it needed to be. I checked everything out, put it all back together and did a test ride. The bike felt great, there was no pulling, swaying or that washout feeling. I'm still going to get the rear bearing replaced here in the next week since I'm in my maintenance phase right now. I'll keep this post updated as I swap parts out. thanks for all the input.

Make sure that the same individual dosen't replace the bearings for you.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:30 AM
Superstock

Yeah, I'm back to doing things myself. Now that I'm mobile again