Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Gear slap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Squid

andyeis is on a distinguished road
Gear slap?

My '02 slaps during decel and at first acceleration when the clutch is not slipped. Adding tension to the chain did not help. I suspect it is in the transmission.

How much slap is standard? I have never noticed it this bad on my othe bikes...

If you have any suggestions are experience with the issue I would appreciate some insight! Thanks,

Andy
Old 02-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Are we talking really low revs here? Because that would be normal, especially for a v-twin, assuming I'm talking about what you described. You should either downshift, or just pull in the clutch to get it out of gear (like when coming to a stop in 2nd gear). Leave shifting into first for when you're stopped or hardly moving. Wait.. did that help?
Old 02-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Back Marker

SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
The chain is slapping? Is the chain/sprocket worn out? Also there's these stretchy rubber things between where the back sprocket mounts, and the wheel....to help smooth the power transfer and reduce slap I assume, I wonder if yours might be messed up
Old 02-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Squid

andyeis is on a distinguished road
I'll see if I can make this easy...

Trying to describe the problem:

Think of two gears meshing...only one has smaller teeth... so each time it switches direction (acceleration and decceleration) it slaps...

It is not the chain because I tightened it plenty...thus I guess it must be in the tranny, unless my sprockets are worn... I could check that out...

The problem makes for uncomfortable low speed decelerations and accelerations...stoplights and especially cornering...

How much do your Hawks do this? I would imagine some...

Experiment:
Go 20 mph in 1st gear and let off the throttle. Did it slap into engine deceleration? Next, give it just a little throttle...did it slap into the power delivery to the wheel? Now just cycle on and off the throttle slightly... I can make my bike pretty jerky doing this... Is that normal?
Old 02-19-2007, 01:32 PM
SuperSport

Sounds normal enough to me. I could be wrong. You might should have someone used to twins have a quick ride on it.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:37 PM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Take a pic of the rear sprocket and post it here. Can tell if the sprocket looks good or bad. Try to get just the rear sprocket so we can see it easy cell phone photo will work fine.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:44 PM
SuperSport

To follow up what I just said, you really should expect that to happen. This is a torquey twin with tons of engine braking. If it is impossible to be smooth enough with the throttle to prevent the slap, you may need to do a carb sync. Otherwise, I'd say the condition is perfectly normal, unless it is really making a loud clunk.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:09 PM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
If you ever have felt the feeling of a late 60s or eary 70s big block anything with a 4 speed that is why we drive the thing next best thing to a good woman between your legs if you get what I mean.