General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Confiscate 350 motorcycles, slap riders with 5,900 summonses

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Squid

Chuey is on a distinguished road

I'm really torn over this...in one direction, the cops are doing the right thing...

On the other hand, on my other forums, regular folk who are just commuting on their motorcycles are being pulled over and harassed. A few riders have been issued tickets for noise violations because of their aftermarket exhausts when the officer found that the riders license, registration and insurance cards were all in order.

Has anyone ever experienced this much hassling before?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...og_wild-2.html

Cops go hog wild

BY JOHN MARZULLI and ERNIE NASPRETTO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Sunday, June 10th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print
* Email
* Suggest a Story

Confiscated motorcycles at an NYPD auto pound.

The NYPD has been aggressively cracking down on motorcycle riders who lack proper licensing - handing out thousands of summonses and confiscating more than 350 of the vehicles, the Daily News has learned.

"There have been 16 motorcycle fatalities this year; 12 were unlicensed operators," Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne said.

Cops initiated the crackdown in a bid to try to stop the mounting death toll, Browne said, pointing out that the 16 motorcycle accident deaths already this year represent a 100% increase over the same time last year.

In all of last year, 33 motorcycle operators were killed in accidents on city streets.

Highway patrol cops had issued more than 5,900 summonses to motorcycle operators for a variety of infractions as of June 3. The summonses were issued for safety violations, speeding, unlicensed operation, unregistered and uninsured motorcycles.

Cops also have confiscated more than 360 motorcycles, the vast majority within the past four weeks, records show.

The unlicensed motorcycle riders killed this year include an off-duty NYPD cop, Foster Burton, 23, who was killed April 23 when he struck a parked car on Zerega Ave. in the Bronx.

"I believe my son had a [motorcycle] permit and rode for about a year and a half. He never drank and was very responsible. I don't understand how this happened," said Burton's mother, Leslie Buie.

Cops are returning confiscated motorcycles only when a rider who has received a summons shows up at the local precinct stationhouse with a licensed rider or a tow truck.

Unregistered or uninsured motorcycles are not being returned to their owners until proof of valid registration and insurance is presented, police said.

Riders who fail to get to the stationhouses quickly enough will have to trek to the NYPD auto pound in Whitestone, Queens, to retrieve their bikes.

"Having a driver's license does not give someone the right to ride a motorcycle," said NYPD Sgt. Richard Angeletti of the Highway Patrol Accident Investigation Squad, adding "a motorcycle license is a totally different license requiring the passing of a written test and road test."

enaspretto@nydailynews.com
Old 06-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I agree with the license requirements, insurance, and registration...If you are not current, or just don't have it, then stay off the bike on the streets...Go to the dirt if you don't want to bother....

As for just finding a reason to harass bikers, well that just aint right!!
Old 06-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Squid

makeminered is on a distinguished road
took my test today and got mine really happy about it too . but i was told by other riders that i didnt need it . but i got my license anyway so i can ride my hawk where i want to
Old 06-14-2007, 05:31 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I would think that a state that offers the endorsement but doesn't require it is only a temporary deal. The laws change, you have six months to comply - watch the mad rush! You did the right thing and if they offer an experienced rider's course - take that one too!

I couldn't agree more, KC - that part of the law is there for a very good reason! We had nine guys in one week this spring here! Six of those were squids racing or stunting.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:23 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I rode my old '73 CB500F for 2 seasons with just a NY permit back in '91 until I found a person with a license to take me for the road test... I can say its much better to be fully legal than worrying if that officer behind you is going to stop you for a "routine check"...

I don't know they can legally but if an insurance co can use the unlicensed operator angle to get out of paying a claim the probably will.