Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Minor Carb issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 01:22 AM
Squid

Erion_squid is on a distinguished road
Minor Carb issues

Hey guys,

I have been on this site searching and searching for help with my first Carb Sync. I am sure that my bike needs it since i put aprox. 25k on the bike and never touched them. Please help me or send me a link to where I can locate steps in this DIY job.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 02-19-2007, 02:58 AM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Erion_squid
Hey guys,

I have been on this site searching and searching for help with my first Carb Sync. I am sure that my bike needs it since i put aprox. 25k on the bike and never touched them. Please help me or send me a link to where I can locate steps in this DIY job.

Thanks,

Chris
You shouldn't need to sync the carbs unless they have been separated. Not touching them is why they don't need to be synced.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:13 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I disagree. As a matter of fact I think it's a maintenance item....just checked. Yup, every 8000 miles. Do a search on "sync", title only.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:01 PM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
For sure the way to go is sync them. twice a year for me. first buy a motonpro carb sink tool. I lost a low speed jet one time somehow and had to make a slot in the one I used to replace it with. There is slot or have moon used to make contact to turn it. Then I would buy a vacum tap for the front cyl. Tap is used to supply vacum to fuel tap at tank from the rear cyl. they are brass and 2 or 3 mm threads not to tight. use thread tape if not use to past can make thing worse. then use hose to make conection to easy place to get at you also have to put a t in the line to fuel tank. motonpro also makes nice sync gage but almost anything will work. even long tube with a U in it and vice grips clamp to smallest you can and still get vacum. just need them even. I got the gages this year have not used yet. but much easer but cost is $100 for them
Old 02-19-2007, 02:21 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Originally Posted by Speed_Demon
You shouldn't need to sync the carbs unless they have been separated. Not touching them is why they don't need to be synced.
I disagree too. Try it. You may be surprised.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Squid

I am Sofa King, We Todd Did

Ok guys, I am 20 miles off the coast of Virginia and really need some help. I want to do this carb sync but I figure it would be a wise decision to change out my plugs and wires first. Now that I am out here, i have NO IDEA what size or type of plugs to buy. Can anyone help me?!

PS> Still searching all these forums for Sync steps...is it in the Repair Manual that was posted here a while back?
Old 02-19-2007, 11:36 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yup, the procedure is in the Service Manual.

You can change plugs but not wires. The wires are integral with the coils, unlike a car. They generally don't go bad. Plugs can be ordered through Advance Auto or Autozone and will be about 1/2 the price of the dealer. They are NGK DPR9EIX-9.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Squid

Thanks!

hey Greg~

Thanks for all of your help. I think I just need to really take a look at the service manual. Been kinda fed up with books since I got done with ESWS! Actually been avoiding most Tech Manuals in hopes that I will stop rambling about Naval History and random, useless ship information. I LOVE MY JOB! Anyhoo, the work begins tomorrow morning. Hope to have good news soon. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Chris