Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Gear or No Gear!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 07:10 PM
Back Marker

Badboy01 is on a distinguished road
Gear or No Gear!

Just returned from three weeks in Minnesota, and enjoyed the lakes and the cities. Riders were out in force, and I was surprised by the majority not wearing helmets or any gear, with their ladies on board! I'm pretty religious about this, since I ride fairly hard, but apparently in Minnesota I'm the exception. Looks like accidents and deaths are also up so is there a correlation?
Check out this article, and weigh in on if you ride with or without the gear: http://bringmethenews.com/2015/06/20...re-fatalities/
Old 07-14-2015, 07:46 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
I have both ridden with gear and ONCE without...

I always wear my helmet and gloves without fail. Not only does my state require helmets but I lived in a state that didnt require it while at school and the one time i rode without a helmet 1/2 mile to the store and back I was not at all comfortable, never again...

As for gloves, up until this build I have been running the old worn out non grippy grips and any sweat or rain etc things get sketchy. Do I wear riding gloves? no, I wear mechanix wear gloves, great grip, great breathability and atleast some protection for my knuckles in the event of **** happens...

As for a jacket, I would say I wear my jacket 85-90% of the time, however there are days when its hitting 100F and 90%+ humidity where I dont but I am always concious about the fact that I'm not wearing it because it is habit...

Pants? I dont own riding pants but I never wear shorts, with the exhaust on our bikes, the handful of times I have ridden in shorts I have burnt both my legs to bubbles EVERY time...

Boots? I dont own riding boots but I used to religiously wear hightop boots, now for commuting I dont care, however I do try and wear sturdy footwear for the purposes of more positive upshifts and foot control feel...

On another note, I am in the market for a racing suit and racing boots. I would like to at some point attend a track day. But my real motive is spirited riding, I'm sick of having to be concious to NOT put my knee down on turns and when I take quick tight turns I would like a boot that slides, not one that catches the ground and skips my rear wheel... hopefully these new danmoto rearsets will alleviate that issue but just in case.

Yes, I ride hard, and yes I have had my SH long enough that I push it to its limits, not the other way around..
Old 07-14-2015, 08:47 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I see that no gear craziness a lot. Doing some work on some local kids zx6's and they are amazed when I put on a jacket, helmet and gloves to test ride their bikes.

Weird how the gear thing seems to skip a generation. Sad because behind most "I used to ride" stories is one about crashing without gear.

Oh and Scottieman, you should scour the NESR forum. Gear for sale on there all the time. You gonna come up to Loudon? I am in north garage 12 every race. Stop by.

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 07-15-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:51 PM
SuperBike

are the races still going on in september? I have a week vaca then but trying to find time on the weekends is rough...
Old 07-14-2015, 08:58 PM
SuperBike

speaking of skipping a generation, the next town over is heavily populated with brazillians and they love riding their brand new sport bikes in shorts, t shirts and flip flops... and then they hang their groceries off the clipon and ride home...
Old 07-14-2015, 09:35 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, racing on September 12 & October 3. (those full weekends including Thursday and Friday trackdays)
Old 07-14-2015, 09:50 PM
SuperBike

I think september 12th is part of my vaca, me and ruvik are talking about taking a road trip so if it is, we will have to make that one of our stops.

sorry to thread jack badboy
Old 07-15-2015, 12:33 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Gear....

A girl I know hit a car head on at 80 kph. Driver was texting and crossed the center line. The girl hit the tank hard. At this point she got the buttery fly break of her pelvis, it explodes out the body in 4 places. At the same time both her wrists break as she is trying to hold onto the bars as she is sent over the car. Her right wrist is as close to dammit amputated. Her left elbow was dislocated while she tried to hold on.

She flys 18 meters and slides another 12 meters into a ditch while her bike bounces 18 meters back up the road. The landing cracks 3 vertebrae in her back.

This happened to occur outside a volunteer firemans house that has just done a paramedic course. He is there within 30 seconds and takes control of the girls condition. He calls for a chopper and calls Status 1. This means she is in threat of imminent death. The chopper arrives and gets her to hospital very quickly but the whole way they struggle to keep up with blood loss.

This girl was wearing all the right gear. Including a back protector.

You may say "but she got so hurt?", yes she did. But she lived. The gear protected her from massive skin loss which would have been the tipping point for blood loss. Her head was unharmed. Her hands were unharmed. Her feet were unharmed. She had one cut on her leg it is thought from the bikes screen as she passed through it.

The gear saved her life. It doesnt make you unbreakable but it works.

This happened 1st Sept 2012. In a week and a half we are going for her first ride back on the road with another instructor. It took until 6 months ago before she could go to work. She has 95% use of the amputated wrist. Was 5 months before she could stand.

If she did not have the gear she would be dead. No question.

How do I know all this so well?

Its Sharon my Partner. All the gear means I get her great cooking for the rest of my life. All the gear means I wake up next to her everyday. All the gear means we have a loving household.

Wear all the gear all the time.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:25 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Heart-felt story NZ. I agree 110%, all the gear all the time no exceptions.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:39 AM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
All the gear all the time. 1 piece suit, boots, gloves. In fairness I don't commute on my bike, or ride in traffic. My suit is perforated, so when I'm moving its not that hot. It IS hot as blazes standing around.

Had a textile outfit - pants and jacket with pads - and realized once I removed the liners in warm weather how thin they were judging by the amount of air flowing through them. Figured they would shred like paper in a crash.

I got all my leathers used and in good condition for about 1/3 of what they would cost new. Ebay and Craigslist to the rescue.

See many, many folks riding in jeans and a t-shirt. Stopped at an outdoor biker restaurant/bar place in the mountains and was the only one in full leathers - out of a couple hundred.

Natural selection!
Old 07-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Back Marker

Thanks for all the comments, and I appreciate the fact most of us are Geared UP! For those of you who say the gear can be hot, here in Florida quite a a few of us use body armor. Usually made of mesh, and you get good protection but not as good as the suits. Here is an example. Leatt 3DF AirFit Body Protector - RevZilla
There are many examples at many different prices by Leatt, Fox, etc.
On a personal note, my son who is a Sophomore at University of Central Florida was riding near campus last February, and another student who wasn't paying attention made a left turn directly into him throwing him from his motorcycle. Both of his femurs were broken, along with his left ankle! But, no head or rib injuries, and although he is going thru a long recovery he is still alive today. Why, HE ALWAYS WORE HIS GEAR!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:03 AM
MotoGP

What about a guy who heard 88% of accidents happen within 5 miles of home so he moved?

Scottie, isn't Boston like 2hrs out from Loudon? That's a short trip. You can also tent in the infield of the racetrack if you want.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:47 AM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
Couple things... Where did you enjoy in MN

I grew up there and have lived in both southeast and north east on the north shore as well as the twin cities...the riding was superb during our short summer up north but i will agree with you that gear in MN is pretty lacking. I dont get it one bit. With the amount of wildlife, other cagers, and potholes its a miracle there are still bikers on the road. I ALWAYS wore my gear in MN and i can definetly say i was in the minority. Even guys i rode with never wore gear, no matter how much i told them they had a death wish.

anyway, cheers on getting into one of the best states to be in during the summer months. I curretly live in kansas, just moved here in october and dear god i was not prepared for the heat
Old 07-15-2015, 11:09 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
riding without gear is proof that you have nothing to protect (namely in the brain area).... Darwinism at its best... Now, I went through a shorts-only phase in my late teens and early 20s, and can somehow relate to the feeling of invincibility of youth blinding your senses (though it doesn't make it any less stupid all things considered, and I lucked out by not biting the bullet as a result), but when I see mature couple riding in shorts and sandals (helmets are mandatory here or I am sure they'd ditch those too) it boggles my mind. Not sure whether it's arrogance ("It'll never happen to me"), misguidedness ("I ride my big Hog so casually I am safe, not like those crotch rocket-types....") or just plain stupidity (a hard currency with a significant proportion of the population, sadly), but it's out there, and an affliction that affects far too many people...... mind you, in light of the previous, I am not sure they are worth saving anyhow....... arrogant, perhaps, but I don't see how stupidity contributes in any positive way to the human species, so let them lay in the (bloody) bed they make

Last edited by mikstr; 07-15-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Bearshawk
Couple things... Where did you enjoy in MN

I grew up there and have lived in both southeast and north east on the north shore as well as the twin cities...the riding was superb during our short summer up north but i will agree with you that gear in MN is pretty lacking. I dont get it one bit. With the amount of wildlife, other cagers, and potholes its a miracle there are still bikers on the road. I ALWAYS wore my gear in MN and i can definetly say i was in the minority. Even guys i rode with never wore gear, no matter how much i told them they had a death wish.

anyway, cheers on getting into one of the best states to be in during the summer months. I curretly live in kansas, just moved here in october and dear god i was not prepared for the heat
Bearshawk, I was primarily in the Twin Cities, and Richfield, MN near the Mall of America. Visited Atkins, MN near Mille Lacs Lake for the fourth of July holidays. Beautiful country as you know! I lived in Minnesota for several years with homes in both Savage and Plymouth, MN. Moved to Plymouth when I got tired of the commute, and after others figured out the Savage area was a nice place to put up a home!

In complete agreement with you concerning Minnesota as the place where you should at least wear head gear. Kansas can be hot, but so can Florida. Just keep focusing on how things will be for you in December and how cold things will get in Minnesota....
Old 07-15-2015, 07:47 PM
SuperBike

I think the younger kids on sportbikes wearing shorts and tshirts and flip flops is just arrogance thinking they are invinceable.

I think the middle age men on cruisers wearing nothing but a skull cap is about the "look" but to me and most of the rest of the sane/smart biking community that "look" is just stupidity...

And joe, not exactly sure but most places in NH are about 2ish hours from me
Old 07-15-2015, 11:04 PM
MotoGP

I think the strangest thing (to me) is that 99% of the no gear thing is peer pressure. Stupidity first, but since dumb people see others doing it they just follow along.

I always explain to riders that the guys you see doing that crap are not the same guys you will see next year, or the year after. They mostly crash themselves out of contention and are replaced by more sheep.

Its hard to explain to most people the stakes of this activity.

One smart instructor used to ask his students "what percentage do you think will crash out of this class?" Lots of guesses ensue..... Then the answer......."100%"

No one ever guesses that number.