Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Gas Gauge Problem

Old 06-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Squid

General Maximus is on a distinguished road
Gas Gauge Problem

I just bought an 01 SH and the gas gauge is not working. I have exhausted my limited technical knowledge about possible fixes and am turning to you guys on here. I could not find a previous thread that could possiblly illuminate the problem. For those that can offer some help.....my light/gauge basically constantly flashes like it is amost out of gas. I noticed that the wiring harness under the seat has a broken wire but that is not the one that goes underneath the tank. I could really use the help. Thanks and I love the forum.

GM
Old 06-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Fix the broken wire first. Clean the connector for the sender. The sender is a simple mechanism. Look in your fuel tank with a high powered flashlight. You should see it down there. First, does it float? Second, any apparent damage? The circuit is fairly simple, and there's only one connector that could fail and not cause other things to fail along with it (common grounds). Check resistance across the sender connector while moving the bike around to slosh the fuel. Resistance should be constant and fairly low (<1Ω). That's about all the troubleshooting I can offer.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Squid

jambo is on a distinguished road
if you undo the connector block at the back of the tank and then cross the two metal prong's with say a piece of wire youre fuel light should come on and stay on,if it does then youre sender is faulty and be better to buy a new one so you dont get stuck without juice somewhere,it's an easy job to put a new one in,but first as said above fix the broken wire.
hope this help's.
jambo
Old 06-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
Assuming there isn't a blown fuse, IIRC, I unplugged the white plastic housing the wires leading to the level sending unit. I then used a digital multimeter to measure resistance between the two sensor wires while slowly moving the level float arm up and down in the tank. The resistance value is in the manual.

I'm betting the tiny wire around the base of the sensor unit is broken. If so, you won't see any change in the resistance. Replace the unit.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Squid

Both of those ideas are great. This is why I love this forum so much. I will be trying both of those later today thanks again
Old 06-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Back Marker

swaptrex is on a distinguished road
just pretend it's a '98
Old 06-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Squid

I have been watching the mileage very closely but gotta have it right. I actually have ran it out on purpose to know how far I really could go.ileage is in the 42 range but that is mostly highway and going easy. The wire "shortage" did not work at the plug connector. I will have to try the voltage meter
Old 06-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Squid

By the way what does the green plug in the wiring harness go to? That one has nothing plugged into it
Old 06-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by General Maximus
By the way what does the green plug in the wiring harness go to? That one has nothing plugged into it

If you are referring to the green 3 wire connector at the harness, just behind the fuel tank, that is for the sidestand/ignition interlock switch.

Rex
Old 06-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by bjorn toulouse
If you are referring to the green 3 wire connector at the harness, just behind the fuel tank, that is for the sidestand/ignition interlock switch.

Rex

So....I can tell that has been bypassed by the wires at the end of the male version of the plug being twisted together. Or I can try to start it with the side stand down. Why would the previous owner twist the wire ends together to try and bypass the switch?
Old 06-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Squid

DSGcoupe is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure if 01's are different but my 98 will run on the side stand. If you try to put it in gear with the stand down it will kill the bike.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by DSGcoupe
I'm not sure if 01's are different but my 98 will run on the side stand. If you try to put it in gear with the stand down it will kill the bike.
Mine starts and goes into gear with the side stand down as long as the clutch is pulled in. I hope this " modification" does not cause me a problem later because of my carelessness
Old 06-26-2010, 07:06 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I had an 86 CB700SC Nighthawk S as well, from 86 to 91. Mine was the red, white and blue model. I rode off from a stop more than once with the side stand down on that bike. Fortunately for me I leaned left before gaining too much speed, and just got a surprise rather than going down. I personally like the side stand safety switch for that reason. My BMW R100RS had a ride-off center stand, so I never used the side stand.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Squid

Bought my nighthawk for 1300 bucks. Rode it for 2 years very hard and even had a few minor crashes. Traded it in on an FJ 1200 and got 1300 bucks on trade. It was a great bike to learn on. Was bulletproof through all the missed shifts, clutched wheelie attempts, and bare center treads. Typical Honda