Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Failing R/R?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Squid

Acecool is on a distinguished road
Failing R/R?

Ok, so a few weeks ago my battery died, and I could only push start my 99 VTR 1000F.

More recently, the bike has shut off, and lost all power for brief instances before coming back to life, I thought it may be related to the neon setup the previous owner installed so I took those components out of the loop and have not had the loss of power issue. In addition to this, I also purchased a new battery.

Now from searching the forum, new batteries do not play well with old r/rs.

My bikes current symptoms are that when driving down the road with high beams on: the lights on the cluster will dim, and the headlight will dim; randomly it will switch back and forth, I have yet to find a correlation with wiggling wires and the dimming which is leading me to believe it may be the R/R going bad.

Now, there are a TON of choices for R/Rs. Mosfets start with FH-....... but honestly I'm not sure which one I should buy.

Does anyone mind linking me to a shop where I can buy a mosfet regulator which I can install with spade connector conversion, or even using an eastern beaver kit?

Many thanks!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
There's a brilliant post one of the members did in the knowledge base.

It'll tell you which bikes had 'em, what to look for, what you need and how to do it (kinda more like logic).

Any 5-wire FH based R/R will work, it's just easier with a kit or with the connector included; if you find one off of a bike, email the seller and see if it's on a part out bike, if there's any damage else where on the harness you might be able to finagle them cutting off the connector then it's as easy as cut and splice.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Squid

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...why-how-25117/

I saw the above post which was helpful in a lot of regards, but the reason I am asking was because some had mixed mosfet/non-mosfet r/rs and wanted to be sure to get the correct one!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:29 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
A MOSFET R/R has a marking with FH-*** on it... The numbers tell the specific output and such... and an older thyristor based R/R is marked SH-*** same here, numbers tell the output... SH stands for shunt, and FH for "FET based shunt"... Ie MOSFET...
Tweety writes a lot, but it's in there; Get one with an FH on it and you're good.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Back Marker

Tormoz is on a distinguished road
In this thread near the end I describe the MOSFET kit I got on eBay, complete with spade connectors, for $119, and I posted a few pictures of how I attached it -- after some great help from forum members identifying the problem. Definitely took care of my bike's issue.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:30 PM
haha yeah
Squid

intoxxx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Acecool
searching the forum
ez mod Firestorm / SuperHawk (VTR1000F) Regulator Rectifier Modification
Old 10-02-2011, 06:35 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
^ This is the way that I did it, and although the r/r is much better than stock, it still a shunt based r/r, so not ideal. That page was made in 2005, which I'm guessing is before MOSFET r/r's were common.

That being said, you can use that exact procedure on pretty much any of the r/r's as a very cheap remedy (in other words, it will work on an MOSFET one). It's not as waterproof or robust as the e-bay kit that tormoz found. I may be using that myself at some point...
Old 10-02-2011, 06:46 PM
haha yeah
Squid

intoxxx is on a distinguished road
found an r6 cheap on ebay. and i squirted the connectors with electrical goo stuff too the point it oozed out the electrical tape.

back story, when i first got my SH it never held charge, and i found my bike on a charger every week. frustrated, and hours of reading these forums. thank you!
Old 10-03-2011, 03:37 AM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
Talk to Jack at ROADSTERCYCLE.com. He sells a fool proof kit that plugs in with no stress or headaches. The Super Kit was 137 with shipping. And it's a MOSFET unit!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by sheldonsl
Talk to Jack at ROADSTERCYCLE.com. He sells a fool proof kit that plugs in with no stress or headaches. The Super Kit was 137 with shipping. And it's a MOSFET unit!
Went ahead and purchased it, thank you and thank you to everyone else who responded!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Squid

MikeMcW is on a distinguished road
On my CBR I used a 01 or 03 ZX12R R/R. On my VTR I just used a stock replacement havent done the Mofset conversion yet. I was in a pinch about 100 miles from home and had to use what the shop had.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Squid

Ok so before my R/R would only go up to about 12.6-maybe 13 at 5k rev.
I just did the conversion, in stock location and relocating the relay.

The old one looks rediculous: the sealing gel on top has separation from the wall. It looked as though a solder point got too hot as a tiny droplet of solder made its way through a tiny tiny crack in/around the center. (I popped the droplet off looking at it and heard and felt a slight crack like it was still connected to the piece underneath the gel)

Honestly, I'm surprised this thing has not let me down completely with the way it looks.

At idle, I sit at about 14.2 and at 5k I am at about 14.4!

Roadstercycle-Index was the way to go! Only thing I had to do to tuck the complete wiring into the bike was to unhook the circuit breaker and reattach it after running the wires.