Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Failing blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:10 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Failing blinkers

Hi y'all
This winter, and it's not much of a winter considering I'm in CA, my blinkers have been barely working. Sometimes they'll take close to 10 seconds to start flashing, if they flash at all. I've also had some charging issues and I thought that maybe the two were related, but the blinkers have a unacceptable delay almost all the time. Does this mean the bike needs a new turn signal relay?

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
It sounds more like the contacts on the switch are dirty.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
SBR is everywhere......
Old 03-06-2008, 09:37 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Talking Ha! Ha!

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
SBR is everywhere......
Yep, I've been tapping into this forum for some time, but mostly on occasions like this one where I've a problem that may be particular to the SH.

I took the switch apart a few weeks ago and it looked practically brand new - very clean and dry. I'm wondering if connectors, including the battery's ground is corroding because the battery has some charging issues, too. I think I'll clean up all of the connections and see what I get.

Last edited by chickenstrip; 03-06-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:51 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
strictly guessing... bad ground... or flasher.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Squid
Squid

riderone is on a distinguished road
I had the same issue, I cleaned the switch, replaced the flasher and still had delayed flash, fast flashing intermittently, ect. It was a corroded connection in the back where the signal wire connects to the main harness. It had just enough resistance to make the flasher think that a bulb was out at times.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:59 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Good tip!

Originally Posted by riderone
I had the same issue, I cleaned the switch, replaced the flasher and still had delayed flash, fast flashing intermittently, ect. It was a corroded connection in the back where the signal wire connects to the main harness. It had just enough resistance to make the flasher think that a bulb was out at times.
Thanks, I'll make sure to check it out.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:56 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Which is why when new I clean and coat ALL connections with dielectric grease.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:00 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Hmmmm, I've never heard of dielectric grease. You buy it at the auto parts or hardware store?
Old 03-08-2008, 06:08 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
I've seen it at Kragen in the gasket goo section. I've used "bulb grease" that I found in the electrical department of OSH.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:55 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Thanks!
Old 03-08-2008, 12:09 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chickenstrip
Hmmmm, I've never heard of dielectric grease. You buy it at the auto parts or hardware store?
Also available at any Radio Shack and most home centers in the electrical dept...
Old 03-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Back Marker

DrPepper is on a distinguished road
there is a flasher relay i think its under your seat or around your tail check and see if its operating correctly(check voltage and ground to and from there)
Old 03-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Gregw
I've seen it at Kragen in the gasket goo section. I've used "bulb grease" that I found in the electrical department of OSH.
Man, that's right up there with blinker fluid!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 06:51 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Stranger than fiction I tell ya'
Old 03-30-2008, 02:37 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Update: I'm still having the problem with the blinker delay. Not much of a surprise since I've done only a little to solve it. I have checked all the connections now, and it appears that everything is good. I'm tempted to dismantle the switch, but I may replace the blinker relay. It looked okay, but everything has been looking okay - I'm not sure how to check it with a multi meter - suggestion?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

Involute is on a distinguished road
What kind of voltage is coming off the battery when at idle? believe it or not my turn signals were my first clue to a R/R going out on my Blackbird.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Squid

Shortlived99 is on a distinguished road
Im having the same problem. I installed a blinker regulator that replaces the flasher, its a little better but still slow to turn on the blinkers. I cleaned my connections in the rear and replaced all the wiring... Guess Ill have to check the fronts. Ill try the grease tomorrow and post.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:45 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
The problem lives on

Hey y'all,
I'm still having trouble with blinker delay. When it's warm, even mild, I get instant response. But now I'm getting at least a 10 second delay. It's cold out, in the 30s, and I can't help but think there's a correlation. I've checked the charging system and it appears to be normal; the battery is good; I replaced the RR. Is it time to replace the signal relay?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Superstock

RoofCleanPhenom is an unknown quantity at this point
My hawk does it every morning. Could be the connectors I guess. If the bike is warm, and the weather isn't below 60, the signals are fine. It's only when it's cold.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:15 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... the only thing that really is temperature related is the grease in the switch... Take it apart and clean it... Then re-grease with vaseline... isn't affected by temps as much...
Old 11-23-2008, 06:33 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Thanks for the tip, Tweety. I do notice that the switch is 'sluggish' (stiff, hard to move). Suggestions on switch cleaner? WD-40? Special electrical cleaner??

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Tweety
Well... the only thing that really is temperature related is the grease in the switch... Take it apart and clean it... Then re-grease with vaseline... isn't affected by temps as much...
Old 11-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Not WD-40... That's counter productive... Alcohol or electric cleaner is the best...
I used a fine brush and alcohol... Just make sure to get all clean and all alcohol out before applying vaseline in generous amounts...

BTW what's with Americans and WD-40?! You guy's use it for all purposes in all places... Used correctly it's good... but there are places where it doesn't belong... electronics being one...

Last edited by Tweety; 11-23-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:18 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Yeah, that WD-40 is so amazing it's confusing ... it cleans, it lubes, it dissolves, it adheres. It's magic! Kinda like shampoo-conditioner.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:14 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
We had a warm spell today so I dismantled the switch, cleaned it with contact cleaner, and greased it with dielectric grease. I'll see how it deals with the cold in the next few days.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:18 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
Did you ever consider that your Hawk doesn't want to turn? They usually want to haul *** out to the twisties. Has yours been getting enough?
Old 12-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Just a thought about why it may be slower when cold:
Blinker relays work like a fuse that does not blow out. When turned on, a filament heats up and (I think) breaks the connection until it cools down. As a result, the current to the bulb is stopped and the bulb turns off. Once the filament cools the connection is regained and the cycle starts over again. If not enough current is getting to the filament, it will take longer to heat up. If it is cold out, it may take even longer.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Squid

ATLSHawk98
my hawk did the same thing. when the temperature drops, there is significant delay in the blinkers beginning to flash. if it gets cold enough, they sometimes won't start at all. i have LED turn signals front and rear from the previous owner. i assume they are not load matched with resistors or anything because i typically have a fast flash rate. i agree with above comment that the only thing within the system that should be temperature dependent is the grease in the switch. good luck finding the definite solution!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:02 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Well, that's what I was thinking, too. I bought a new relay but haven't put it in. I'll check out what happens with the new grease first, and then move to the relay replacement if the problem is still there.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by rbrais
Just a thought about why it may be slower when cold:
Blinker relays work like a fuse that does not blow out. When turned on, a filament heats up and (I think) breaks the connection until it cools down. As a result, the current to the bulb is stopped and the bulb turns off. Once the filament cools the connection is regained and the cycle starts over again. If not enough current is getting to the filament, it will take longer to heat up. If it is cold out, it may take even longer.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:08 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Update: I took the bike out yesterday in mid 30s degree weather and though there was less of a delay than the 10 second one I experienced prior to switch overhaul, there was still a 4 or 5 second delay. I'll put in the new relay next.

Quick Reply: Failing blinkers